American man faces dilemma as Thai girlfriend’s parents demand 1 million baht dowry

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: American man faces dilemma as Thai girlfriend’s parents demand 1 million baht dowry

Post by John Bingham »

This is not a dowry. A dowry is money paid by the bride's family to the groom's family. It's called a bride price.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: American man faces dilemma as Thai girlfriend’s parents demand 1 million baht dowry

Post by Alex »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:34 am I never did pay a dowry or get married to my SO

I did buy a cow at one stage though but got repaid

My SO's lil sis DID get a dowry of three cows and six grand iirc. Husband turned out to be a tipper truck driving KTV dwelling arsehole so she divorced him and is now a single mom

Guys who will pay for you aren't guaranteed to be higher value
Just out of curiosity and I know it's off topic, but how much is a cow?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

...dementia. Michelle (Michael Obama) will run for President 2014.
:please:
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:48 am This is not a dowry. A dowry is money paid by the bride's family to the groom's family. It's called a bride price.
You are quite correct, but it's a losing battle as the phrase's meaning gradually drifts with misuse by punters.

Perhaps they don't like Bride Price because it sounds too close to Bar Fine.

For that matter, 'shipping company' here could be a euphemism for sex trafficking. It is Thailand after all :stir:
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Alex wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:50 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:34 am I never did pay a dowry or get married to my SO

I did buy a cow at one stage though but got repaid

My SO's lil sis DID get a dowry of three cows and six grand iirc. Husband turned out to be a tipper truck driving KTV dwelling arsehole so she divorced him and is now a single mom

Guys who will pay for you aren't guaranteed to be higher value
Just out of curiosity and I know it's off topic, but how much is a cow?
1 Million Baht, according to the headline.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Stravaiger wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:16 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:48 am This is not a dowry. A dowry is money paid by the bride's family to the groom's family. It's called a bride price.
You are quite correct, but it's a losing battle as the phrase's meaning gradually drifts with misuse by punters.

Perhaps they don't like Bride Price because it sounds too close to Bar Fine.

For that matter, 'shipping company' here could be a euphemism for sex trafficking. It is Thailand after all :stir:
I agree, bride price sounds terrible. 8)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic