License Plate and Registration for 2nd Hand Moto

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: License Plate and Registration for 2nd Hand Moto

Post by Kammekor »

Kenr wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:18 am
Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:45 am
orichá wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:50 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:01 am
Kenr wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:54 am

Are you purchasing through a dealer?
When purchasing through a dealer the dealer has to prove the letter from the tax department. If not, don't buy.
This is a second bike, 7,000+ km... The dealer says he will give me the tax letter if/when I buy ... Then I will go to Dept of Transportation and attempt to register it in my name. I guess I will need photos, passport, 10 or 20 bucks. And the tax paperwork. It is only 50cc.

I just want to know if the Department of Transportation in the far north of Phnom Penh is the correct office to get plates and registration. (That is the same office you go to do written and road tests for driver's licenses...)
Yes, that's where you can get the plates, but I have heard several foreigners complain they will refuse to register the first registration in a foreigners name.
I believe that is backwards. I believe the law here is you cannot register a bike in your name if it has already been registered here before. New bikes or imported bikes that have no plates and never been registered in Cambodia before can be registered in your name with ID card.

Maybe the issue was them trying to do it themselves?
Yes, I am talking self-attempts. Here in Ratanakiri even the dealer can not get it into the foreigner's name.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:50 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:01 am

When purchasing through a dealer the dealer has to prove the letter from the tax department. If not, don't buy.
This is a second bike, 7,000+ km... The dealer says he will give me the tax letter if/when I buy ... Then I will go to Dept of Transportation and attempt to register it in my name. I guess I will need photos, passport, 10 or 20 bucks. And the tax paperwork. It is only 50cc.

I just want to know if the Department of Transportation in the far north of Phnom Penh is the correct office to get plates and registration. (That is the same office you go to do written and road tests for driver's licenses...)
Yes, that's where you can get the plates, but I have heard several foreigners complain they will refuse to register the first registration in a foreigners name.
I believe that is backwards. I believe the law here is you cannot register a bike in your name if it has already been registered here before. New bikes or imported bikes that have no plates and never been registered in Cambodia before can be registered in your name with ID card.

Yes, I am talking self-attempts. Here in Ratanakiri even the dealer can not get it into the foreigner's name.
Wow. I just got mine at the end of July and I got it registered and ID card in my name here in Phnom Penh.

Different rules for different places I guess.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kenr wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:15 am
Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:50 am

Wow. I just got mine at the end of July and I got it registered and ID card in my name here in Phnom Penh.

Different rules for different places I guess.
I even think the person handling your request might make a difference....

The government system is a bit messy, to put it mildly.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

The last time I registered a freshly imported secondhand motorcycle I required

- Certificate of import tax paid
- Residence letter from village chief $3.75
- $50 for "official" fees and around $10 given out in small amounts through the process
- My ID/DL
- Photos

Did at MOT in PP. Took awhile because some spastic had incorrectly recorded one digit of the chassis number on import form. Corrections had to be witnessed and signed by some porcine figure of seniority
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic