Retirees, And The Lack Of Anything Meaningful

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Retirees, And The Lack Of Anything Meaningful

Post by phuketrichard »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:22 am
truffledog wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:50 pm
MarkArmstrong wrote:
willyhilly wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:00 pm I am 71 on the pension in tropical Australia, FNQ. The Khmer ex fucks around outrageously. I look after her two girls. I am busy working managing a 42 unit complex for $24,000 a year. I am busy with the kids, a shiftless 16 year old who is a mini mum and lazes around and a terrific 11 year old who excels at school and is a talented athlete.
I am a secretary of a charity which works with young black crims and we interact with top levels of government attempting to solve problems. I am being bankrupted over a defamation action due to my ex’s gambling, drinking and whoring. It is what it is, never boring. I don’t give a fuck anymore. I still drive my sports car and just want to live another six years to get my youngest through high school. I am a prominent local identity and enjoy a bit of fame trying to improve the lives of the homeless and youth.
If I had remained in Cambodia after 2014 I would have drunk myself to death by now. My ex and I both had Hep B in 2012. She is near death at 38, I will outlive her. My legacy is my adopted daughters. They are great kids.

That made me smile :) I have a similar situation gold digging wife etc
I survived my ex with only an old car, a small apartment, and my name. She took everything else. But she wanted much more.

Her family probably still kiss her feet and she’s probably still an esteemed member of the community.

I have a feeling that her Cham magic spells are at the root cause of all my current problems. Took a few years of venous hatred to reach me.
What would your ex say about you?
She would say I am nothing and she is everything.

All the money is hers alone, all possessions belong to her, the kid absolutely belongs to her. The world revolves around her, of course. I merely exist to serve.
you mention Cham magic spells ,
so is this ur 2nd Cambodian wife?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

It depends on the person.

Some are Family types.

Others are free Spirits who want to learn and discover new things in Life.

Others are beer drinkers...🤔
More than just any old backpacker.
phlezk
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by phlezk »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:52 am They are here for the cheap beer and the easy women. Nothing wrong with that.
lmao
phlezk
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by phlezk »

scott61 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:28 pm Well, try that in a small town
See how far ya make it down the road
Around here, we take care of our own
You cross that line, it won't take long
For you to find out, I recommend you don't
Try that in a small town
American redneck detected? 😜
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Mr Bingham asked after my son. I raised him on my own too. Mum was a Thai I married in 1980. She went off the rails within a couple of years of immigrating too. But her son was a remarkably gifted child, could crawl at two months, run at twelve months and read at two. A kid in a million, a maths whiz and all round talent. Great tennis player and cricketer and a really good man. He runs a hedge fund in Melbourne for an American company, earns about 400k and having retired from thirty five years of competitive cricket plays a lot of golf at quite an exclusive club. He doesn’t like my Khmer family much which is a bit sad but such is life.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:52 am They are here for the cheap beer and the easy women. Nothing wrong with that.
Honest comment.
Boredom is like a shroud
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

cabron wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:56 pm
Honest comment.
agree with the cheap beer, disagree about the women ( what khmer lady wants some overweight retiree living on a small pension)
add in EASY extensions :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:00 am
More than a few foreign retirees in Thailand strike me as miserable. Living in their small condo with crappy furniture, a rock-hard bed and not a single photo of family, are they really as happy as they make out?

Many single, foreign retirees in Thailand have simplified their lifestyle to what strikes me as the extreme. Long gone are the days of living in a house, rather many exist in a condo, often a small studio that feels like a shoebox. Where once they might have had a car or two in their homeland, now they may have a motorbike, or no vehicle at all. They might be able to pack their whole life in to just a suitcase or two.

There are plenty of arguments for simplifying your life. Capital isn’t tied up in property. You don’t have the hassles or expense of vehicle servicing and maintenance. You’re free of encumbrances and you can up and move on at the drop of a hat if you so wish.
I don’t subscribe to the idea that you need to keep busy, but I do think life is better, and more enriching if you have something or someone to care for, in other words something with real meaning.
https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly- ... eaningful/
There's a lot of things to discuss in a topic like this because there are single men and they have no children or family left so are pretty much free to do as they wish, and vice versa.

As for retirement even if you live in a first world country you are going to find it difficult if you have always been used to depending on work to make your life meaningful.

And with life in first world countries getting much harder and much more expensive, then it's no wonder that people are downsizing and moving to other countries so that they can live a more relaxed life, in a preferred environment.

People make meaning themselves, through hobbies and interests, and their life choices. A lot of people in places like Cambodia who are living there that spend their time in bars drinking daily, probably need to make some better choices.

Maybe South East Asia countries tend to attract these types because of the easy going nature of the country and relative lack of things to do compared to other continents, plus there is an established beer drinking scene?

I did not blame this on South East Asia, rather the types of people that it attracts who have low ambitions and probably wouldn't get up to much in their own countries anyway.
so they would probably be just as miserable in their own countries anyways.

There is also a possibility that some of these people have been scammed by women who have robbed them of their investment into a so-called happy marriage, as unfortunately the facts are that this does happen quite a bit. And if so, then that explains why they are miserable.

And this is probably the kind of man that stickman is talking about, because the bar scene is his speciality, and there are a lot of men who get into relationships with bar girls, and most of the time it does not end well.
This probably has been a very important factor to consider in this whole discussion.

Whatever it's up to you, and it's your choice in life what you choose to do with it.
More than just any old backpacker.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic