Giant millipedes

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Giant millipedes

Post by IraHayes »

Do you find that locals are able to differentiate between millipedes and centipedes?

I picked one up to show my children and it was walking all over my hand. Which they found amusing as it tickled. I explained what they ate, why they are harmless and how centipedes and millipedes are different.

Got a few odd looks from locals mind.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Giant millipedes

Post by Freightdog »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:19 pm Do you find that locals are able to differentiate between millipedes and centipedes?

I picked one up to show my children and it was walking all over my hand. Which they found amusing as it tickled. I explained what they ate, why they are harmless and how centipedes and millipedes are different.

It’s a creature, it’s a toy,
Ignorance says; play, then destroy…
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:19 pm Do you find that locals are able to differentiate between millipedes and centipedes?
They can, the millipedes are harmless but considered dirty, the centipedes killed because of their extremely painful bite.
IraHayes wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:19 pm I picked one up to show my children and it was walking all over my hand. Which they found amusing as it tickled. I explained what they ate, why they are harmless and how centipedes and millipedes are different.

The odd looks are because the millipedes are considered 'dirty'. Even chickens don't eat them, I can not think of one animal preying on the Asian millipedes (as opposed to the centipedes which are a nice snack for the chicks).
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:22 pm

It’s a creature, it’s a toy,
Ignorance says; play, then destroy…
Better not play with the centipedes, but destroy instantly. They're dangerous f#ckers with a nasty bite, even when small. They've got a pair of forcipules, which are the modified, pincer-like, front legs used to inject venom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forcipule ... Bonato.jpg
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Did some reading up on Asian millipedes and it seems they secrete a chemical as defensive mechanism and this can be slightly irritating but not harmful unless it gets in your eyes, apparently.

This could explain why chickens won't eat them.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:24 pm Did some reading up on Asian millipedes and it seems they secrete a chemical as defensive mechanism and this can be slightly irritating but not harmful unless it gets in your eyes, apparently.

This could explain why chickens won't eat them.
Came here to say the same. They are slow and can't bite but they have a nasty substance they excrete from pores all over their shells that could cause a rash. Don't ever pick up hairy caterpillars either.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic