Ideal Motorcycle for Cambodia

Have a car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle you'd like to sell? List it here for free. Heck, you can even buy and sell tuktuks or your pink Scoopy here. Remember, you need a driver's license in Cambodia for cars, trucks, and any motorbike that's over 125cc. And always wear a helmet!
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Ideal Motorcycle for Cambodia

Post by hdgh29 »

The type of bike doesnt matter, its "the size of the fight in the dog" as they say. I know a guy who has been around most of Cambodia on a Honda Click, and another mate who regularly goes from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh on a Scoopy. Just buy one that you are comfortable on, if you are going to be sitting on it for a few hours at a time, and make sure its a Honda for easy service and repairs in distant villages.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

TRO wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:09 am Most of the long distance trips would be to Bangkok from Siem Reap, with some trips to Lao thrown in and maybe Vietnam.

This would be my first purchased bike in Asia. I've been searching the Thai classifieds too. It seems like a Cambodian plated bike wouldn't be too limiting compared to other countries, but I don't know too much about all that.
For some reason it is possible to take a Vietnamese plated moto into Cambodia, but if you take a Cambodian plated bike into Vietnam you will only be allowed to use it in the border area and will get stopped by police when traveling more in-land. The number will be noted when crossing the border. At least when you pass the Ha Tien border but have been told it is the same at Moc Bai etc.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

hdgh29 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:15 pm The type of bike doesnt matter, its "the size of the fight in the dog" as they say. I know a guy who has been around most of Cambodia on a Honda Click, and another mate who regularly goes from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh on a Scoopy. Just buy one that you are comfortable on, if you are going to be sitting on it for a few hours at a time, and make sure its a Honda for easy service and repairs in distant villages.
I agree. I was initially going to get a Honda Airblade, same 125cc engine as the PCX. Running around Phnom Penh the Airblade is ideal. But I still like walking so I don't even take the PCX out every day. But hands down the PCX is the more comfortable of the two.

Me and my girl will be taking a road trip out to Kirirom National Park on Saturday, weather permitting, and camping out. I guess I'll see then if the PCX was worth the extra $2,000 than it would have cost for the Airblade.
TRO
Tourist
Isle of Man

Post by TRO »

hdgh29 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:15 pm The type of bike doesnt matter, its "the size of the fight in the dog" as they say. I know a guy who has been around most of Cambodia on a Honda Click, and another mate who regularly goes from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh on a Scoopy. Just buy one that you are comfortable on, if you are going to be sitting on it for a few hours at a time, and make sure its a Honda for easy service and repairs in distant villages.
The type of bike matters a lot, depending on what you want to accomplish on it.

I rode a rental Honda Blade 110 from Can Tho to Ha Long bay in Vietnam so I get the sentiment lol. It can go ALMOST anywhere...rode it on the beach in Danang, up to Hamburger Hill and Khe Sanh. But I wouldn't take it on serious enduro tracks or want to go that slow across a country again.

I'd classify it more as a scooter than a motorcycle. Sit in scooters like the scoopy/click feel almost dangerous to me handling-wise.

Scooters are nimble, easy to park anywhere and super efficient. Great for the city, but can barely get out of their own way on the hwy. I prefer speed to get away from trucks/lexus.

I'll be looking for motorcycles.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

...but if looking for safety, the best motorcycle is actually a car.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Something simple single cylinder

Yam XT
Kawa KLR
Royal Enfield

If you can fix it roadside using the OEM toolkit you've made a good choice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic