Phorn Phalla's Epic Run Raises 157 Smiles: Orphanage Receives $45,777

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Phorn Phalla's Epic Run Raises 157 Smiles: Orphanage Receives $45,777

Post by newkidontheblock »

Alex wrote:Given the choice between supporting an orphanage that teaches children "Christian values" and one that doesn't, I'd choose the latter. Just my personal decision, I hated every minute of religious "education" I got in my youth and I just can't stand God botherers.
Are you bothered by children being taught ‘Buddhist values’? Every Wat takes children in and gives religious education. The entire nation of Cambodia has religion as one of it’s pillars of society, it’s required study at school and both Buddhist and Hindu teachings adorn the walls of many murals. I can’t recall anyone on CEO applying the same vitriol reserved for Christianity.

Religion can be a good thing. It gives hope to those with no hope, strength to those who have none, and turns the cruel and wicked into kind and generous.

Just like everything else, it can be abused.

My opinions, of course.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:05 pm
Alex wrote:Given the choice between supporting an orphanage that teaches children "Christian values" and one that doesn't, I'd choose the latter. Just my personal decision, I hated every minute of religious "education" I got in my youth and I just can't stand God botherers.
Are you bothered by children being taught ‘Buddhist values’? Every Wat takes children in and gives religious education. The entire nation of Cambodia has religion as one of it’s pillars of society, it’s required study at school and both Buddhist and Hindu teachings adorn the walls of many murals. I can’t recall anyone on CEO applying the same vitriol reserved for Christianity.
Who knows what would have happened if it had been Buddhist monks who had bored and annoyed the shit out of me when I was young. However, it wasn't them, so no such vitriol towards them from me.
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:05 pm Religion can be a good thing. It gives hope to those with no hope, strength to those who have none, and turns the cruel and wicked into kind and generous.
As far as I'm concerned, that's fairytale territory. Just my opinion of course, believe whatever works for you or helps you by all means.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

My own opinion is that school should stick to just educating the youth. School is a melting pot of students with different religious believes. Schools should not "push" one religion over another or try to convert the students to their believe.

Religion should be taught at home! Parents who want their children to get popular religious upbringing, can choose to enroll their children into religious schools.
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:05 pm
Religion can be a good thing. It gives hope to those with no hope, strength to those who have none, and turns the cruel and wicked into kind and generous.

Just like everything else, it can be abused.
I agree with you to a point. Everyone is entitled to believe in what ever religion they want for what ever reason. The problem I have is when these believers try and force their believes on to the "non believers".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Alex wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:07 pm As far as I'm concerned, that's fairytale territory. Just my opinion of course, believe whatever works for you or helps you by all means.
Sure, but considering that most of the world's population are superstitious dumb-fuck hicks it's probably a good idea to give them some guidance.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Orphanage director raises $40K with 350km run
Kim Sarom | Publication date 27 August 2023 | 21:51 ICT
Phorn Phalla’s eight-day run from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh spanned an impressive 350km. His determination wasn’t just for the thrill of the challenge, but to raise funds for the children at Branch Centre, an orphanage that cares for kids rescued from broken homes.

By the end of his journey, he’d amassed more than $40,000, ensuring 157 children without parental care would receive food and education.

Starting on July 30 and crossing the finish line on August 6, Phalla’s journey took him through a tapestry of Cambodian landscapes.

“Truthfully, my run itself is not what stands out. My focus is wholly on the 157 children who desperately need daily sustenance and education,” Phalla conveyed.

As director of the Branch Centre, locate at Phum Lech Wat in Phnom Penh’s Kambol commune and district, Phalla’s dedication extends beyond just his title.

He shared with The Post that his mission as director is to raise funds for children at the centre, who are in alternative care under his supervision.

Phalla remembered his run from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh.

As he passed through different areas, he was touched to see people on the side of the road waiting to greet him.

Their unexpected enthusiasm for his humanitarian effort greatly encouraged him, fueling his determination to reach his goal.

During the run, Phalla and his team had the intention of sleeping outdoors. To freshen up, they relied on the generosity of local villagers, often asking them for water to bathe.

This act itself, symbolic of the larger communal spirit, played a part in the journey.

Though the substantial sum of $40,000 has been raised, Phalla emphasises it only covers around 70 per cent of the annual food expenses for the children.

The figure, while seems substantial, still falls short. Every day, the facility uses up 47kg of rice for meals and allocates nearly 1 million riel ($250) for rice, vegetables, fish and meat.

“For me, it wasn’t about the run’s personal achievement. It was about securing a future for the 157 children under my care. They require not just food but a community’s support,” Phalla explained.

Today, the centre shelters 157 children, among them 24 infants who are being breastfed.

These infants and toddlers, predominantly boys, range in age from just four months to two years. The facility boasts a team of 15 caregivers for the infants and has an overall staff of 32.

Notably, 32 of the older children are pursuing university education, with Phalla having found benevolent sponsors for each.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... -350km-run
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »