Sodas and Fast Food are Impacting Cambodian Children's Health

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sodas and Fast Food are Impacting Cambodian Children's Health

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The junk food epidemic is taking a toll on children everywhere, including Cambodia. Much of this is due to the lack of nutritional education among the wider population; many Cambodian parents have no idea that sugary soft drinks could be bad for their children's health.

Childhood diabetes up amid sugar epidemic
Long Kimmarita | Publication date 16 July 2023 | 21:58 ICT

In a small family home in Cambodia, twelve-year-old Sok Vathana is engaged in a daily struggle against kidney failure. His childhood has been shaped by constant trips for dialysis, an essential treatment for a boy whose kidneys can no longer clean toxins from his blood.

Vathana’s family of six is steeped in hardship. His younger twin brother, Sok Vattanak, is also battling with health issues and the distress of impending dialysis treatments.

Each dialysis session Vathana undergoes costs $90, with medications and travel expenses to the hospital in Phnom Penh bumping the weekly total to around $400, explained their mother, Rorn Chamroeun.

“In times when I don’t have money, I have to make adjustments and seek treatment in the province instead,” she said.

Chamroeun realised in May that her eldest son’s health had seriously deteriorated. Doctors attributed his severe illness to an unhealthy diet and a congenital kidney condition.

“Initially, he started becoming pale and I couldn’t figure out the reason. The doctor said my eldest son has been living with a chronic disease since birth. Excessive consumption of canned drinks has worsened his condition, resulting in severe kidney damage,” she reflected.

Even with regular dialysis, Vathana’s condition remains precarious, his blood sugar levels increasingly unstable. Yet Chamroeun remains resolute in her fight to save her son.

“I don’t have the means to afford a kidney transplant. Please, philanthropists, help my son,” she pleaded.

Data on sugar levels in popular beverages in the Cambodian market shows a troubling reality.

Most drinks, particularly popular among youngsters, contain between 20 to 25 grams of sugar per can. However, medical studies suggest a healthy sugar intake should not exceed 25 grams per day.

Earlier this year, UNICEF released a report revealing an unhealthy food environment for children in East Asia and the Pacific, including Cambodia.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... r-epidemic
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sodas and Fast Food are Impacting Cambodian Children's Health

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Chamroeun realised in May that her eldest son’s health had seriously deteriorated. Doctors attributed his severe illness to an unhealthy diet and a congenital kidney condition.
I dunno, but I feel like this has nothing to do with drinking soda ? How much fast food does a poor Khmer eat anyway, it's more expensive than in the West...?
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Have you seen the shit they sell in mom n pop shops for 500riel? They're in about snack foods, not burger king
sumfin smart
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Energy drinks could be pointed at, for many wage slaves around the world.
Panadol and such also trendy, not for the best ^^
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:34 am Energy drinks could be pointed at, for many wage slaves around the world.

Canned sweets and energy drinks banned from schools
Long Kimmarita | Publication date 27 July 2023 | 21:55 ICT

Two leading ministries in Cambodia have released a joint statement outlining penalties for anyone found in breach of the Law on Food Safety. Meanwhile, multiple schools have started educating their pupils on the health risks associated with energy drinks and are prohibiting their consumption on school grounds.

The statement from the Ministry of Economy and Finance (MEF) and the Ministry of Commerce (MoC), released on July 17, highlights that the MoC will be responsible for imposing these fines. The penalties will serve as a source of revenue for the Ministry of Commerce, overriding any previous proclamations.

To further illustrate the scope of this new initiative, the statement includes an appendix. It specifies that vendors engaging in unregulated, unsanitary, or deceitful practices could face financial penalties ranging from 500,000 to 20 million riel.

In a parallel move, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport (MoEYS) has issued a new policy prohibiting the sale of certain types of food within educational establishments.

The list of banned items includes expired food, alcohol and tobacco products, food of indeterminate origin, energy drinks, sugary beverages, coffee, ice cream, syrup, chocolate, candy and all forms of chewing gum, as well as all kinds of jellies, donuts, sweet cakes, and sweet-dried canned fruits.

Yem Saith, a teacher at Tbeng Primary School in the Banteay Srei district of Siem Reap province, confirmed to The Post on July 26 that her school had been implementing these regulations and providing educational outreach to students for several months.

She noted that over 500 students, primarily younger children, have already begun altering their behaviour and reducing their consumption of processed foods and sugary drinks.

“The consumption of processed food and beverages has declined after the school began providing education and guidance. We are extremely pleased to observe this change as it will enhance their health. This effort necessitates the involvement of parents and guardians,” Saith emphasised.

She went on to call for greater parental involvement in dissuading their children from consuming unsafe food, highlighting their vital role in this endeavour.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ed-schools
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Anaemia alert: Kids’ diets at risk
Long Kimmarita | Publication date 21 August 2023 | 21:03 ICT
Anaemia remains a pressing issue for young children, especially those relying on certain milk products as their main nutrition source.

Paediatrician Heang Ratana has sounded the alarm over the rise in cases.

“The predominant cause of anaemia in children is a lack of nutrients, especially iron. Children suffering from anaemia struggle in both physical and mental development,” he said.

Ratana pointed out that anaemia in children can stem from multiple factors, including malnutrition, congenital issues or immune system-related diseases.

Symptoms can range from external to internal bleeding caused by falls or bruises, medications and bacterial infections. Moreover, children battling cancer often face anaemia.

Yet, the most prevalent cause he identifies in young children is malnutrition, particularly from consuming pasteurised milk from paper boxes.

“When young children rely solely on milk without a balanced diet from other food groups, they become vulnerable to diseases like anaemia due to weakened immune systems,” he said.

“Milk, as I constantly remind parents, lacks many essential nutrients. It might be laden with sugars and starches, but young children need substantial amounts of protein, vitamins, and iron for proper growth,” he added.

Ratana, a seasoned expert from a Phnom Penh private hospital, advocates for a varied diet for children. This should encompass vegetables, fish, meat and fruits.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... diets-risk

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Creating a health crisis more expensive than a fix. Whole foods. Not only in ASEAN countries, but around the world.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:10 am
Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:34 am Energy drinks could be pointed at, for many wage slaves around the world.

Canned sweets and energy drinks banned from schools
Long Kimmarita | Publication date 27 July 2023 | 21:55 ICT

Two leading ministries in Cambodia have released a joint statement outlining penalties for anyone found in breach of the Law on Food Safety. Meanwhile, multiple schools have started educating their pupils on the health risks associated with energy drinks and are prohibiting their consumption on school grounds.

The statement from the Ministry of Economy and Finance (MEF) and the Ministry of Commerce (MoC), released on July 17, highlights that the MoC will be responsible for imposing these fines. The penalties will serve as a source of revenue for the Ministry of Commerce, overriding any previous proclamations.

To further illustrate the scope of this new initiative, the statement includes an appendix. It specifies that vendors engaging in unregulated, unsanitary, or deceitful practices could face financial penalties ranging from 500,000 to 20 million riel.

In a parallel move, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport (MoEYS) has issued a new policy prohibiting the sale of certain types of food within educational establishments.

The list of banned items includes expired food, alcohol and tobacco products, food of indeterminate origin, energy drinks, sugary beverages, coffee, ice cream, syrup, chocolate, candy and all forms of chewing gum, as well as all kinds of jellies, donuts, sweet cakes, and sweet-dried canned fruits.

Yem Saith, a teacher at Tbeng Primary School in the Banteay Srei district of Siem Reap province, confirmed to The Post on July 26 that her school had been implementing these regulations and providing educational outreach to students for several months.

She noted that over 500 students, primarily younger children, have already begun altering their behaviour and reducing their consumption of processed foods and sugary drinks.

“The consumption of processed food and beverages has declined after the school began providing education and guidance. We are extremely pleased to observe this change as it will enhance their health. This effort necessitates the involvement of parents and guardians,” Saith emphasised.

She went on to call for greater parental involvement in dissuading their children from consuming unsafe food, highlighting their vital role in this endeavour.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ed-schools
That's good news, be nice if it was enforced

A khmer friend has the singularly most obese son I've ever seen. Poor kid is only 5 or 6 and at a guess weighs around 70kg. Eats what he wants when he wants and three plates of rice too. Basically a diminutive spherical person waddling around. His parents are proud of his fatness. I bite my tongue lol
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:50 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:10 am

That's good news, be nice if it was enforced

A khmer friend has the singularly most obese son I've ever seen. Poor kid is only 5 or 6 and at a guess weighs around 70kg. Eats what he wants when he wants and three plates of rice too. Basically a diminutive spherical person waddling around. His parents are proud of his fatness. I bite my tongue lol
Same same but different here , some woman always advertising her restaurant ,
once in awhile she slips in a picture of her daughter who is around 3 or 4 and looks like a whale calf ,
I don’t watchit eat but i pointed out that is child abuse ,
she was offended and thought it’s healthy and a sign of wealth that her kid eats so well .

😳🙄🙄🙄🙄

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic