Debt collectors

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
lSeaval
Tourist
Nauru

Debt collectors

Post by lSeaval »

I. Am owed $8000 by a Cambodian, as I am in Australia is there anyone that could help me to collect this money in Phnom Penh, incidentally the debt was to be paid back within 2 years otherwise I could clam the house as I have a signed agreement and they have defaulted legally the house is mine, any suggestions, thank you
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Debt collectors

Post by Jerry Atrick »

lSeaval wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:08 am I. Am owed $8000 by a Cambodian, as I am in Australia is there anyone that could help me to collect this money in Phnom Penh, incidentally the debt was to be paid back within 2 years otherwise I could clam the house as I have a signed agreement and they have defaulted legally the house is mine, any suggestions, thank you
Hire a lawyer to prepare an injunction to sieze the property. Court fee is like $50. Lawyer fee I guess $500-2000 including uniformed goon assisted delivery of injunction
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I would check first, if they really have the hard title. Wouldn't be the first time, that they make a loan on something, they don't even own. Additionally keep in mind, that as a foreigner you can't own ground / apartments on ground level. Good luck to get such a high sum back at all, even on $500 it gets already very challenging and that, when you are on the ground...
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Unless you hold the actual title document I think you may to have to forget the house being collateral. Even if you do, unless the debtor wants to sell it, he can manage without it.
As mentioned above, apart from a strata title (for condos), the title can't be transferred to you unless you have Cambodian citizenship.
Good luck, but don't get your hopes up.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

lSeaval wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:08 am I. Am owed $8000 by a Cambodian, as I am in Australia is there anyone that could help me to collect this money in Phnom Penh, incidentally the debt was to be paid back within 2 years otherwise I could clam the house as I have a signed agreement and they have defaulted legally the house is mine, any suggestions, thank you
You must be a very naive person.
Boredom is like a shroud
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

cabron wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:55 pm
Nothing wrong with a person believing in God, Santa Clause and Tooth fairies.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Maybe a very newbie I been there ..
I been ripped off here more than a few times before it finally sunk in / hit me
YOU JUST CANT WIN here , I would say it’s impossible TO WIN
But 🤞🏽🤞🏽 I got sucked into a scam again just recently .
The poor or the dam loser who just got you always gets away .
Your only hope is they keep doing it until they finally do get into a corner and ousted and hopefully busted

Somebody here will come along and post some links to examples if the right comments come
- if they get the urge

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:15 pm
Your money has gone. Read again.

Dont throw good money after lost one. Buy your wife a bunch of flowers instead of fuelling somebodies Lexus.
work is for people who cant find truffles
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

truffledog wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:41 pm
Tootsfriend wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:15 pm
Your money has gone. Read again.

Dont throw good money after lost one. Buy your wife a bunch of flowers instead of fuelling somebodies Lexus.
My advice would buy him what I do (myself a big bottle of Mr. john daniels and a case of cambdodia beer
and kick my own own ass for not learning the 1st time ..
The more I try the more i lose , it used to be at cards 🃏
But if you ( meaning I ) got money , some liar 🤥 will get it out of me .
So I only give what I can lose .
I got plenty more and more comes all the time
Just being alive rakes it in for me .
But it still hurts and ain’t cool 😎

พิซออนเดอรูฟ ®
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic