Mormon missionaries

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Mormon missionaries

Post by Username Taken »

grumpygit wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:46 pm Well I've finally got to the bottom of it.

The young missionary lads are the honey trap.. they only talk nicely about god and love ect.
However they introduce the mark to an older well dressed Thai lady who's more of a mammasan figure.
She gets into the girls head. Tells her she can find her a rich American husband.
High pressure to go to meet various American guys who've come all the way to Thailand just to meet the girl..
The main pitch is you get your ticket out of your poor life but you have to renounce Buddha and become Mormon.

I'd guess the older Thai lady gets some kind of fee for getting the girls to go along to meet prospective husbands.

I'd also guess the guys who come from America for the Mormon version of a mail order bride pay top dollar for the travel and introduction package.

That fancy new temple in Bangkok needs to be payed for somehow.
Good work, detective! So, you're now going to report this to the relevant human-trafficking authorities, right?
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:50 am
grumpygit wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:46 pm Well I've finally got to the bottom of it.

The young missionary lads are the honey trap.. they only talk nicely about god and love ect.
However they introduce the mark to an older well dressed Thai lady who's more of a mammasan figure.
She gets into the girls head. Tells her she can find her a rich American husband.
High pressure to go to meet various American guys who've come all the way to Thailand just to meet the girl..
The main pitch is you get your ticket out of your poor life but you have to renounce Buddha and become Mormon.

I'd guess the older Thai lady gets some kind of fee for getting the girls to go along to meet prospective husbands.

I'd also guess the guys who come from America for the Mormon version of a mail order bride pay top dollar for the travel and introduction package.

That fancy new temple in Bangkok needs to be payed for somehow.
Good work, detective! So, you're now going to report this to the relevant human-trafficking authorities, right?
Nobody is being forced into anything, it's just morally questionable in my opinion. But that's opinions for you.
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

It's pretty easy for a young, single guy from a Western country to find a Thai girl willing to marry him for his money and passport, makes you wonder why you'd pay someone to hook up a whirlwind wedding with a virtual stranger for you? What's the hurry? Those guys have probably led sheltered lives but even they must realise what they're likely getting themselves into.

I'm wondering if they're doing it because a Thai marriage visa benefits them somehow, maybe allows them to do something they couldn't do as a run-of-the-mill expat.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

Random Dude wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:45 pm It's pretty easy for a young, single guy from a Western country to find a Thai girl willing to marry him for his money and passport, makes you wonder why you'd pay someone to hook up a whirlwind wedding with a virtual stranger for you? What's the hurry? Those guys have probably led sheltered lives but even they must realise what they're likely getting themselves into.

I'm wondering if they're doing it because a Thai marriage visa benefits them somehow, maybe allows them to do something they couldn't do as a run-of-the-mill expat.
I think you misunderstood me. The young guys find the girls.. for older guys who've probably never left Utah to marry.
It's a glorified mail order bride service for old American Mormon guys.
Doesn't have to be Thailand.. Mormons are like rats you are never far away from one, the whole thing is a money making machine.
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

grumpygit wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:54 pm .. Mormons are like rats you are never far away from one..
:facepalm:

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Grumpygit -

Sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately your lady was not the one destined for you, and you were not the one destined for her. Her low moral quality as well as the despicable Thai woman and her minions are responsible for this mess.

Thai are a good people, as well as Mormons. Please don’t judge the entire race or religion based on these criminals. Unfortunately, she met the bottom of the barrel of human waste.

Please go and find the woman who is truly meant to be yours. Good luck!
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

grumpygit wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:54 pm
Random Dude wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:45 pm It's pretty easy for a young, single guy from a Western country to find a Thai girl willing to marry him for his money and passport, makes you wonder why you'd pay someone to hook up a whirlwind wedding with a virtual stranger for you? What's the hurry? Those guys have probably led sheltered lives but even they must realise what they're likely getting themselves into.

I think you misunderstood me. The young guys find the girls.. for older guys who've probably never left Utah to marry.
It's a glorified mail order bride service for old American Mormon guys.
Doesn't have to be Thailand.. Mormons are like rats you are never far away from one, the whole thing is a money making machine.
I suppose I'm not really understanding you, I thought your lady had been approached by some young missionaries, one - a supposed English teacher -was pestering her to marry him, and then she left you for him, the 20 year old guy.

Maybe they have the introduction service thing going on for sad old gits back in Utah but it still sounds to me like the young guys are 'getting high on their own supply' too.

Either way, if the old lady is making money finding brides it's just a matter of time before she turns to the red-light girls, if she hasn't already. Hopefully there's a nasty new strain of gonorrhea or something going through the elderly Utah population now.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bangkok's new unique-looking Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saint (Mormon) on Phetchaburi Road will hold an open house from Sept 1-16 except on Sunday for the general public before its dedication in Oct.
The Bangkok Thailand Temple will be the first temple built in mainland Southeast Asia.

theres HUGE $$$ in religion, the land alone on Petchaburi road must be hundreds of millions of $$

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic