6 Arrests in International Taiwanese 800Kg Drug Smuggling Bust

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

6 Arrests in International Taiwanese 800Kg Drug Smuggling Bust

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh/Sihanoukville): The Anti-Drug Department of Phnom Penh, in cooperation with the Phnom Penh Municipal Police and the Sihanoukville Provincial Police, seized more than 780 kilograms of drugs from a Taiwanese drug trafficking gang, which was shipping drugs from the Golden Triangle through Laos-Cambodia and out to Taiwan by sea.

Under the orders of the National Police Commissioner, the combined forces of the Cambodian National Police, the Anti-Drug Bureau, and local police forces spent over four months to crack the Taiwanese criminal organization that was importing the drugs through the northern land border between Laos and Cambodia, and then shipping the illegal cargo to Taiwan by sea from Sihanoukville.
During the night of August 1, 2023, the combined police forces raided one location in Sihanoukville, and the next morning another address was raided in Phnom Penh. The first raid at 02:30am on August 1, 2023, in Village 2, Sangkat 3, Sihanoukville, resulted in the arrest of two Taiwanese men:
1. Name AN CHI WEI
2. Name TUAN ZHONG YUE
Police seized 785 pieces of ketamine weighing 789 kg 781 g, 1 car, and 2 mobile phones in the first raid.
The second police raid occured at 07:30am on 01 August 2023 at home Rent No. 09 and No. 11, Street No. 03, Project 7, Borey Peng Huot (Boeung Snor), Sangkat Niroth, Khan Chbar Ampov, Phnom Penh.
As a result, 4 Taiwanese male suspects were detained:
1. The name CHEN CHI HSIANG "mastermind".
2. CHAN I YANG
3. Name LIAO SHI BO
4. Name TSAI YU CHING
Captured exhibits: 3 cars, 2 motorcycles, 5 mobile phones and 8 bank accounts.

A total of 6 Chinese male (Taiwanese) suspects were arrested, and police seized 785 pieces of ketamine weighing 789 kg 781 g, 4 cars, 2 motorcycles, 7 telephones and 8 bank accounts.
At present, the suspects and the above-mentioned exhibits have been sent to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court for the legal procedure.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: 6 Arrests in International Taiwanese 800Kg Drug Smuggling Bust

Post by Darkcel »

I'll never get tired of seeing plate carriers without plates and guys holding machine guns with aks.

I'd also like to point out, at least one officer had the common sense to take his shoes off before entering the residence, cannot get the floors dirty. Also, a single set of gloves was worn 👍🏻
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Darkcel wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:40 pm I'll never get tired of seeing plate carriers without plates and guys holding machine guns with aks.
Can you explain this a bit? Where are the plate carriers without plates? And what are "guys holding machine guns with aks"?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:39 pm
Darkcel wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:40 pm I'll never get tired of seeing plate carriers without plates and guys holding machine guns with aks.
Can you explain this a bit? Where are the plate carriers without plates? And what are "guys holding machine guns with aks"?
Was running ahead of myself with the last part

Look at the plate carriers, the ones wearing them do not have plates in them.

Also, stab vest fella in the checkered shirt is wearing a vest 3x too small for him
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Okay, I got you on the plate carriers, I didn't know they were called that. What about machine guns? I know you often see reports calling automatic rifles machine guns but I don't see it here?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Even PLA frontline troops never had armor plates (until recently). A few select troops just started getting them. Most of Cambodia’s equipment comes from their benefactor.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

6 Taiwanese suspects arrested in Cambodia for drug smuggling
08/06/2023 05:43 PM
Taipei, Aug. 6 (CNA) Six Taiwanese suspects were arrested last week in Cambodia following a joint Taiwan-Cambodia-U.S. investigation into a international drug trafficking ring led by a Taiwanese man which led to the seizure of NT$1.6 billion (US$50.49 million) worth of ketamine that was set to be smuggled into Taiwan, the Criminal Investigation Bureau (CIB) said Sunday.

The ringleader, a man surnamed Chen (陳), is a chief in the Heavenly Way Alliance, one of Taiwan's three leading organized crime syndicates, the CIB said in a statement.

Chen is also suspected of committing murder following a drug smuggling related dispute in 2021. He fled Taiwan later that year.

The CIB discovered in March 2023 that Chen was hiding out in Phnom Penh, and sought cooperation from Cambodian authorities and the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) in the United States to help investigate, leading the authorities from the three countries to form a special task force.

After long-term surveillance by Cambodian authorities and the DEA, along with information from the CIB, it was discovered that Chen had several Taiwanese accomplices he was working with in Phnom Penh to coordinate drug trafficking.

In mid-July this year, the CIB received intelligence that the ring was planning to smuggle a large quantity of illegal drugs into Taiwan and immediately passed the information to the authorities in Cambodia, according to the statement.

A raid on the drug trafficking organization's base in Sihanoukville was carried out on July 31. Two members of the group were arrested and 789 kilograms of ketamine, worth around NT$1.6 billion, was seized.

The next day, four additional suspects, including Chen, were arrested in their Phnom Penh homes, according to the statement.

Since there is no extradition treaty between Taiwan and Cambodia, the six Taiwanese suspects will be brought to trial in Cambodia, the CIB told CNA.
(By Huang Li-yun and Evelyn Kao)
https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202308060009
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

August 17, 2023
JOB WELL DONE: US anti-drugs agency praises Cambodia’s crackdowns
Son Minea / Khmer Times
Cambodia’s efforts to crack down on drug crimes within its territory and beyond has recently earned the Kingdom a compliment from a United States federal law enforcement agency tasked with combating illicit drug trafficking and distribution.

In a letter obtained by Khmer Times and addressed to National Police Chief General Neth Savoeun, Kenny Lee, Country Attaché of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), praised Cambodia for the recent series of successful joint large-scale operations in Sihanoukville and Phnom Penh under the codename “Seahorse”.

“I am writing to extend my heartfelt gratitude for the outstanding efforts and success of the recent Seahorse operation in Sihanoukville and Phnom Penh,” Lee wrote.

According to the letter, the mission culminated in the arrest of six criminals, including their mastermind, and the seizure of nearly 800 kilogrammes of ketamine valued at approximately $50 million.

“This is proof of the resilience, expertise and commitment of our law enforcement teams,” the Attaché wrote. “This significant achievement was made possible by the joint efforts of the Cambodian police, the Drug Enforcement Administration and all other relevant authorities.”

Lee noted that the Cambodian police’s unwavering dedication over an extended period of surveillance has “not only made our streets safer but has also strengthened our international collaborations against such organised criminal activities”.

“I would like to extend special recognition to Major General In Song, Colonel Mak Sereivathanak, their esteemed teams and every individual authority involved. Their tireless efforts have left an indelible mark on the war against drugs,” said Lee.

Maj Gen Song, deputy head of the National Police’s Anti-Drug Department, and Col Sereivathanak led teams in the “Seahorse” crackdowns.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501344278/ ... rackdowns/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic