What are the old farang and retiree doing in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CaliforniaGuy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What are the old farang and retiree doing in Cambodia?

Post by CaliforniaGuy »

taabarang, I think you are correct, it is never helpful to be overly critical. I don't know how old your kids are but no matter how good a father you try to be, when they get to their teens they will naturally rebel against your opinions whatever they are anyway. But they will remember what you stand for, and will come back asking for advice when they reach their mid 20s. My experience anyway.

And your idea of getting them out of Cambodia for study is a good one. I don't know what the future holds for Cambodia, but whatever happens, it will be good for your kids to experience some places in the developed world as well as Cambodia. They might decide to stay in that country or return to Cambodia, but whatever happens they will be better able to make their decisions and with much more insight than if they think Cambodia is the whole world. And the educational systems in developed countries are much different than here.

My Khmer wife benefited greatly from leaving Cambodia and living in the U.S. for a while. Now she clearly sees the good and bad points of both cultures and can enjoy each in its own way and with much more confidence.

Hey and nothing wrong with being an SOB on occasion. At least it sounds like you are an honest one. Nothing worse than a dishonest SOB in my opinion. I am sure you know what I mean.

Cheers.
I wish I knew a whole lot more, or a whole lot less.
SAY_WAT?
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SAY_WAT? »

Dreaming of the day they can sniff a dirty pair just one more time......
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

what now? who?
a bit lost over that comment?
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Samouth wrote:
General Chatter wrote:...OP, what I do in my free time is wonder why some people bother....Cambodia is fantastic place to chill whatever age...
Hey i am sorry if this thread offended you. i am not sure if you are referring to me or other Cambodians.

For in case you are referring to me

I think i did wrote in my thread that i don't have any old barang friends, moreover i seldom talked to them, so i actually have no ideas about them. Most of my friends are younger barang and yes i do know about them. Most of them are English teacher, Teacher of English and Interns. That's why i wanted to learn more about them. Note. i don't discriminate with old people. If i did i would not join this forum.

Can anyone explain to me what did Mr General Chatter mean for the sentence i quoted above? He told me that i misunderstood it. I asked him to explain it to me. He refused and suggested me to ask other people. So Please..........
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Samouth, I don't want to get off topic, but there is nothing wrong with this thread. If you are overly sensitive on this forum or K440, you will never last and will miss out on the positive responses your post elicited.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Gaudente
Expatriate

Post by Gaudente »

Samouth wrote:What are the old barang doing in Cambodia ?
According to A.P.L.E. they are all kiddie fiddlers :stir: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFUMkQ ... px3GLttH2A
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic