A very good and gentle guy

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A very good and gentle guy

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:I can't find anyone gentle in this story, both fiance and boyfriend. If there weren't the name on the picture, I would share some idea,but it's Not my business.
Sadly the picture comes with name and also her age. :(
Where did you get it? From news or facebook ? I think the name should have been written in abbreviation. Lucky, her boyfriend is not sent to prison because she's not under age. Lucky, her Fiance knew before they marry, but sad she was reported to the police and appear her picture with the name.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

BOFH wrote:
MekongMouse wrote:It is a sad commentary, but this is Cambodia. How often do you read about a story like this that doesn't end with the man going batshit crazy and hurting someone?
So what? Do you applaud rape in Nigeria because hey, at least he didn't kill someone! Yeah it's wrong but this is Nigeria, what a great guy!

Let's call a spade a spade. It's horrible to physically hurt people whether you're married to them or not. This guy didn't, cool, neither did a lot of the rest of us.

And please, spare me the racist "he's Cambodian so he gets a free pass" mentality.
You've assumed a lot. I would never applaud one crime I oppose because it wasn't a worse crime I oppose and I'm not saying he needs to be praised or giving anyone "passes" based on nationality. In fact, I even called it a "sad commentary" that this is news, but it is news. It is unusual. The out of the ordinary usually makes for more interesting news than the ordinary. No need to read anything else into my comments but what I wrote.

Edit: I went back and read the post of mine you quoted and you left out the entire second half:
It is a sad commentary, but this is Cambodia. How often do you read about a story like this that doesn't end with the man going batshit crazy and hurting someone? The fact that he didn't hit her and showed restraint shouldn't be news, but it is is. I'm with you on the photo and public shaming though, there's no need for that.
Wow, it almost seems like you did that so you could distort my words in a vain attempt at making a point.
randompeeps
Expatriate

Post by randompeeps »

This is completely and utterly stupid, even by local standards.

Samouth: Unless there was a contract for the dowery stating that it was being paid on condition that she was a virgin, there is absolutely no law against what she did nor is there any law compelling her to return the money. Naming and shaming people for cheating is pathetic. How many of your male friends cheat on their girlfriends or wives? Do you post their photos and names online to shame them too, or do you only do this to women?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I do agree with the naming and shaming part randompeeps, but in rural Cambodia in fact, in Cambodia in general it is assumed that the girl iwill be a virgin. There is no written contract and full disclosure is not possible for the girl. Read my previous post on why I want my daughter to study overseas one day.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
thePeck
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by thePeck »

What's good for the goose is not good for the gander.

I had one Cambodian friend say freely and without hesitation. He's getting married(2 years ago) but he won't stop screwing other girls because how is he expected to only be with one girl. But his wife has to be a virgin and stay at home and only be with him. Because she's a "good girl".

Ridiculous and nothing I said made sense to him.

So Ya it's a law albeit an unspoken but cultural-ish law that the woman shall be a virgin.

Another story I know, my gfs niece had sex and the family was up in arms, she was married within a week to protect her and her family's honor and reputation.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic