Woman Tourist Has Bad Experience with Battambang Tuktuk Driver

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Woman Tourist Has Bad Experience with Battambang Tuktuk Driver

Post by John Bingham »

down_time wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:34 pm Highlights the complete lack of verification / checks that go on for PassApp drivers, not a good advertisement for them as a safe, reliable transport option is it?
The guy was basically a convicted career thief, probably not someone you should be giving a license to, to pick up and transport tourists.
It doesn't mention any app in the story, just that he picked her up from the bus station.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:06 pm
It doesn't mention any app in the story, just that he picked her up from the bus station.
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:42 am
The woman tourist arrived in Battambang early in the morning on the night bus and she hired the PassApp tuktuk to take her to her hotel reservation.
You're right in that the app booking is not mentioned (I skim read I think) it is not clear if she used the app or not. I assumed as she's a PP resident and knew she was going the wrong way, she used the app and was watching the map. An incorrect assumption on my part probably.

It's still a PassApp tuk tuk and he's the driver, I wonder if he 'borrowed' it from the owner. If so the owner's an idiot and it still asks questions about the security of PassApp if you can't know who's driving, if not my comment stands.
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Post by BaltimoreJack »

Single foreign women taking night buses that arrive in strange cities at 4 a.m. Not smart.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

down_time wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:36 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:06 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:42 am
The woman tourist arrived in Battambang early in the morning on the night bus and she hired the PassApp tuktuk to take her to her hotel reservation.
You're right in that the app booking is not mentioned (I skim read I think) it is not clear if she used the app or not. I assumed as she's a PP resident and knew she was going the wrong way, she used the app and was watching the map. An incorrect assumption on my part probably.

It's still a PassApp tuk tuk and he's the driver, I wonder if he 'borrowed' it from the owner. If so the owner's an idiot and it still asks questions about the security of PassApp if you can't know who's driving, if not my comment stands.
I'm sure a lot of them get hired out while the owner sleeps.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

BaltimoreJack wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:00 pm Single foreign women taking night buses that arrive in strange cities at 4 a.m. Not smart.
Yeah you're right. Actually the cops should've arrested HER. If I was a woman I would stay indoors all the time.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE
Man was Previously Arrested for Robbing a French Woman
Cambodia News, (Battambang Province): According to the publication of Battambang Provincial Police, when the arrested tuktuk driver was questioned at the police station, they recalled an old story about a robbery committed by a man named Tep Phaly, also known as Linh, who assaulted a French woman and robbed her five years ago in Battambang, and now he has abused another French woman.

The previous case occured on November 11, 2018, when the suspect committed a crime of aggravated theft (phone-snatching), against a 25-year-old French woman named COLINE BACHELIER in front of Battambang Provincial Referral Hospital at 22:20 on October 31, 2018, which caused the woman minor injuries at the time.
In this case, the suspect was sent to the Battambang Provincial Court after being arrested and the iphone6 was found and returned to the victim.

The man was then sent to prison, but upon his release he immediately reverted to a life of crime. It seems that he stole the tuktuk, and when he took the French medical student for a ride, he did not intend to take her to the hotel, but planned to rob her.
Battambang police are building a case against the accused to send him to trial.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

siliconlife wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:23 am
BaltimoreJack wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:00 pm Single foreign women taking night buses that arrive in strange cities at 4 a.m. Not smart.
Yeah you're right. Actually the cops should've arrested HER. If I was a woman I would stay indoors all the time.
Totally agree, she probably was asking for it with her long hair, legs and exposed arms, and her huge backpack. The poor guy just couldnt resist it, could he. Sharia law? Bring it on.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

While poor BaltimoreJack did not do a very good job of putting his point across in a meaningful way it was a valid statement. It was a little blunt and came with no explanation as to its validity so allow me to expand a little for him.

First of all, we do not and are not likely to ever, live in a perfect world. A Utopian society, if you will, where peace and harmony abound and the worst of human traits and characteristics have been suppressed or controlled. We do live in a world where some people prey on others. And like all good hunters they choose their prey carefully.
In the case of the "mugger" in our news story while we can be pretty sure he's not the brightest candle on the cake his primal instincts, as the predator, are based in the hypothalamus (it controls instinctive behavior's) and so his decisions on who to mug (the prey) will be made here.
Now, I think we can all pretty much agree that of all the possible combinations of adult groups all groups comprising 2 or more people of either sex are going to be discounted as the risk of failure when attacking these groups is too high. Then we come down to 2 groups. the single male traveler, and the single female traveler. Now, since the hypothalamus doesn't take notice of the latest ideological gender BS it knows the weakest and therefor easiest target to prey on is the single human female. The predator preys on the weak and the vulnerable. It's base instinct on the part of the predator and no amount of gender studies BS will alter that fact.

So, here we are, it's late and our wannabe mugger is loitering at the bus terminal in his stolen tuktuk surveying the herd of zebras as they disembark and collect their belongings. Amongst the passengers their would be groups and single travelers of mixed sexes. There may have even been single Khmer travelers as well as the lady who became his actual target. It's not unlikely that a khmer lady might travel solo so let look at why he wouldn't choose a female khmer as his victim.
Well, there's no language barrier for a start and the khmer is more likely to be a local and know the area and so that elevates her above the solo westerner in his mind as attacking her comes with increased risks. So that leaves him looking for solo female westerners.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic