Felony murder charges for teenager at the scene of shooting

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Felony murder charges for teenager at the scene of shooting

Post by Anchor Moy »

More crazy stuff from the US justice system. No wonder the US has so many people locked up. :fool:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... il-indiana
Blake Layman made one very bad decision. He was 16, an unexceptional teenager growing up in a small Indiana town. He’d never been in trouble with the law, had a clean criminal record, had never owned or even held a gun.

That decision sparked a chain of events that would culminate with his arrest and trial for “felony murder”. The boy was unarmed, had pulled no trigger, killed no one. He was himself shot and injured in the incident while his friend standing beside him was also shot and killed. Yet Layman would go on to be found guilty by a jury of his peers and sentenced to 55 years in a maximum-security prison for a shooting that he did not carry out...

...The legal anomaly at the heart of what has become known in criminal justice circles as the case of the “Elkhart 4” will be the subject on Thursday of a special hearing by the Indiana supreme court, the state’s highest legal panel. The judges have asked lawyers for Layman and for the prosecution to address that specific question: is it consistent with Indiana law that he and his friends who were all unarmed, who fired not a single shot, and who in fact were themselves fired upon, one fatally, by a third party – the homeowner Rodney Scott – could be put away for decades for murder?

The conundrum is not an arcane one. Some 46 states in the union have some form of felony murder rule on their statute books. Of those, 11 states unambiguously allow for individuals who commit a felony that ends in a death to be charged with murder even when they were the victims, rather than the agents, of the killing.

In Indiana the wording of the felony murder law is more nuanced than those of the other 11 states. It says that a “person who kills another human being while committing or attempting to commit … burglary … commits murder, a felony.”
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: Felony murder charges for teenager at the scene of shoot

Post by Soi Dog »

The US has so many people incarcerated because they effectively and actively enforce laws and punish criminals. When you commit a crime your are held responsible for all the subsequent actions of your decision to commit that crime and those of any accomplices, whether those subsequent actions were in your control or not. People are held to account and punished for their actions and all effects of those actions.

The same people who constantly bemoan the US for such stances on crime are the same ones who complain that the Cambodian justice system is ineffective and doesn't hold people to account.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Soi Dog wrote:The US has so many people incarcerated because they effectively and actively enforce laws and punish criminals. When you commit a crime your are held responsible for all the subsequent actions of your decision to commit that crime and those of any accomplices, whether those subsequent actions were in your control or not. People are held to account and punished for their actions and all effects of those actions.

The same people who constantly bemoan the US for such stances on crime are the same ones who complain that the Cambodian justice system is ineffective and doesn't hold people to account.
There's a middle ground though, right? You think it is fair that he be held responsible for his friend's death when he didn't shoot him? He committed burglary, not murder. Nobody needed to be charged in his friend's death. If the law considers the man who defended his property innocent, then that is it; it ends there.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

MekongMouse wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:The US has so many people incarcerated because they effectively and actively enforce laws and punish criminals. When you commit a crime your are held responsible for all the subsequent actions of your decision to commit that crime and those of any accomplices, whether those subsequent actions were in your control or not. People are held to account and punished for their actions and all effects of those actions.

There's a middle ground though, right? You think it is fair that he be held responsible for his friend's death when he didn't shoot him? He committed burglary, not murder. Nobody needed to be charged in his friend's death. If the law considers the man who defended his property innocent, then that is it; it ends there.
I would say it's similar to if I commit a violent, armed bank robbery, and during the getaway car chase a following police vehicle accidentally hits another car and kills someone. I didn't kill anyone or mean to, but they were killed as an indirect result of my robbery. Therefore, it's my fault and I should be punished for any unnecessary death...even if that death was my accomplice and accessory to the crime. That is what current US law says. It's called capital murder. Everyone knowingly involved in perpetrating a crime gets held to account for all fatal repercussions of that crime, intentional or unintentional. I fully agree with that law and feel it serves true justice.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

They need to change the name of that charge. Seems odd to be charged with "murder" if "you" didn't kill anyone.

Maybe "accessory to murder."

Also seems odd that it can be capital murder if someone else did the killing.

Definitely seems like the person who did it should be punished more severely.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I agree with Soi Dog here. If you are involved in ANY way you should be punished.

However Gonk has a point it should be accessory to murder not murder.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

A 16 year old is suppose to be prosecuted as a minor not in adult court. Because the US prison system/judicial system has become a cash cow for the corporations, attorneys, judges, etc, children will be treated like adults. America the land of the not so free has more people in prisons/jails per capita than any other country on earth. 2,200,000+ and counting. There is one attorney for every 365 US citizens.

In the US we used to have three branch's of government and they were a check and balance system. Now we have only one branch and that is the America Bar Association and the state bar associations. Most congressmen are attorneys and/or beholding to the bar associations to get elected, the president and his wife are attorneys and the US Supreme Court are attorneys.

The Bar Associations are private clubs and you cannot be an attorney unless you are accepted by the private club. You can be disbarred for making corruption by an attorney, judge or the bar association public. Case in point is the Washington State attorney that was disbarred for 6 months for informing the bar association about a judge that was taking kickbacks. (The judge was "retired" after that.)

My personal experience is I caught the judge in my trial partying with opposing attorney and accepting gifts of alcohol during trial. I held up a blown up picture/poster of him with a glass of wine in hand. BTW/ After my trial he retired two years into a 4 year term.

Its all about power and control of the America people, packing the prisons/jails and taking away American citizens (mostly men's) civil rights.

Dr. Ben Carson for President (He's not an attorney so will not be allowed to run.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic