Immigration Crackdown

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Re: Immigration Crackdown

Post by Hotdigr »

Secret Squirrel wrote:People who require a life without uncertainty have made a very curious choice of country to settle in.
Squirrel, you got it in a nutshell mate :thumb: Couldn't have put it better myself!
Secret Squirrel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Secret Squirrel »

Hotdigr wrote:
Secret Squirrel wrote:People who require a life without uncertainty have made a very curious choice of country to settle in.
Squirrel, you got it in a nutshell mate :thumb: Couldn't have put it better myself!
Nutshells are a squirrel specialty
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

People who require a life without uncertainty have made a very curious choice of country to settle in.
Good point. There are many uncertainties if life wherever you go, but that's no reason to put up with utter ineptitude.

Quotation from the article: "About three weeks after the interior and labor ministries announced a crackdown on foreigners without work permits, officials this week could provide few answers on how expatriates can comply with the country’s labor regulations."

A simple rule of thumb when dealing with this level of incompetence:

Pack up and move. If they ever sort it out, you can come back.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

sigmoid wrote:A simple rule of thumb when dealing with this level of incompetence:

Pack up and move. If they ever sort it out, you can come back.
It's even easier than that. Just ignore them.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

JBTrain wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:
taabarang wrote: For those of us us who are married to Cambodians and or retired with only break even income the nightmare has just begun.
I don't know about the "married to Cambodians" bit, but life as an expat is getting much more difficult across the board for those of very modest means. Visa requirements everywhere will continue to get more strict and costly, and there don't seem to be any relief valves left....no other places to go (relatively inexpensive, fun and with desirable climates, anyway). The ending of era. Learn how to swim or sink like a stone.....
Part of the nightmare for marrieds of modest means would be trying to import your Cambodian wife to the EU or US. Not a slam dunk my any means.
Starting the visa for my fiancee now. USA K1. Oh the joy
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I've been through the "Visa" process when I tried a number of years ago to bring my then wife to the US from Thailand. I had to get my US Congressman (who I knew) to rattle the people in the US embassy in Bangkok. After my Congressman got involved the embassy drones rolled out the red carpet for me and couldn't stamp the wife's visa fast enough to get rid of me.

Word of advise: If you really have to take your girl to America and get married, hide all your assets and bank accounts as its not a matter of if you will eventually lose them in divorce court, but when. "Oh! But she's different." Having faced 17 attorneys in 4 years in the corrupt US court system, that one doesn't carry water. Also, don't live in a "no fault" divorce state and document everything you owned and every asset before getting married.(That is everything you didn't hide.) That way you may keep a little bit of it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic