DHL 'ON HOLD' - what to do?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

DHL 'ON HOLD' - what to do?

Post by SlackWaster »

Hello all, skip to the Tl;Dr* if you don't want the very tedious details...

I made an order on Amazon.com using credit in my account from gift cards I'd built up. I think this might be part of the problem. Amazon took it as all one order - as they do - and made me an invoice showing the cost of the items (clothes) estimates import costs, shipping, etc and a total of $0 (because of the gift cards).

It turns out there's actually three deliveries. One has arrived but two are showing as ON HOLD as they say I haven't sent them the right information, they keep asking for bank transfers or other receipts. Which, obviously I don't have, just the single invoice showing $0.

I doubt anyone here knows the ins and outs of such a situation (apologies if I've underestimated anyone) but after loads of SMS messages and phone calls I've decided to go to a DHL office. Does anyone know the best one? I'm nearest to the one on MONIVONG BLVD.

*Tl;Dr
What's the best DHL office to visit to sort out a delivery that's stopped moving and is marked 'ON HOLD'?

Thank you in advance.
violet
Expatriate

Re: DHL 'ON HOLD' - what to do?

Post by violet »

Maybe contact Amazon to explain and ask if they can assist with individual invoices or a letter of explanation
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Last edited by MarkArmstrong on Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

On hold mans, that DHL has problems to get your package out of customs. I had that before. They have a very capable, unofficial agent. The problem is, that he asks for 20% (all in), however 20% of a $0 bill won't motivate him...
Not 100% sure, but try Telegram +8562055109357 (yes, he is in Cambodia, although a Laotian number)
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I have had this twice with Amazon/DHL in the past year, easy to sort:

DHL will have sent you an email with a link to update the documents needed to get the items through customs, they probably won't have called you, but check the email address you have for Amazon order & it ought to be there; the subject on mine was "Customs Details Required To Clear Your Shipment", sent from emai address: <[email protected]>

They needed three docs uploaded:
1. Clear passport scan.
2. Detail of the Amazon order - this I took screenshots from the Amazon "Your Orders" section; paste into MS Paint, cut the items picture/description & paste into a Word doc, once you got it all in there, save as .PDF & job done.
3. Evidence of payment (I used my credit card, so this is a screenshot of my statement, with all other items redacted - MS Paint is a wonderful tool :)

That was it for me, delivery continued about 2-3 days later once I submitted those through the DHL online portal; the link to submit documents again should be in your email.

If you can't use the portal, or find the email, I got this in my email that suggests another route if you do want to use a broker instead:
"​Please contact us immediately at +855 23 992 217 or [email protected] if you would like to clear the shipment yourself or through an assigned third party broker."

The portal was much better than the time DHL asked me to find a broker to get stuff through customs, big positive from DHL to identify this as a pain in the ass & set up a way to submit it online. Downside is that more and more of my Amazon deliveries are getting stuck this way, the only pattern I have found so far is items shipping from China, stuff from the US seems to come without hindrance & just simply delivered. Fingers crossed. Let me know if you need any help, maybe I missed something.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Spigzy wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:34 pm I have had this twice with Amazon/DHL in the past year, easy to sort:

DHL will have sent you an email with a link to update the documents needed to get the items through customs, they probably won't have called you, but check the email address you have for Amazon order & it ought to be there; the subject on mine was "Customs Details Required To Clear Your Shipment", sent from emai address: <[email protected]>

They needed three docs uploaded:
1. Clear passport scan.
2. Detail of the Amazon order - this I took screenshots from the Amazon "Your Orders" section; paste into MS Paint, cut the items picture/description & paste into a Word doc, once you got it all in there, save as .PDF & job done.
3. Evidence of payment (I used my credit card, so this is a screenshot of my statement, with all other items redacted - MS Paint is a wonderful tool :)

That was it for me, delivery continued about 2-3 days later once I submitted those through the DHL online portal; the link to submit documents again should be in your email.

If you can't use the portal, or find the email, I got this in my email that suggests another route if you do want to use a broker instead:
"​Please contact us immediately at +855 23 992 217 or [email protected] if you would like to clear the shipment yourself or through an assigned third party broker."

The portal was much better than the time DHL asked me to find a broker to get stuff through customs, big positive from DHL to identify this as a pain in the ass & set up a way to submit it online. Downside is that more and more of my Amazon deliveries are getting stuck this way, the only pattern I have found so far is items shipping from China, stuff from the US seems to come without hindrance & just simply delivered. Fingers crossed. Let me know if you need any help, maybe I missed something.
Amazon often asks for a flat prepayment including import duties and shipping. Do you then still have to upload these docs to DHL?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

That's not how mine works; whenever I buy on Amazon there is indeed a fairly hefty import duty attached, but included on the order, so it is one invoice/value in my case and is on my credit card statement. I've never had it any different like how you describe sorry. Then usually after 3-6 months that import duty is refunded back to my credit card. I've yet to see if these orders that are stopped get refunded on the import duty.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:10 pm That's not how mine works; whenever I buy on Amazon there is indeed a fairly hefty import duty attached, but included on the order, so it is one invoice/value in my case and is on my credit card statement. I've never had it any different like how you describe sorry. Then usually after 3-6 months that import duty is refunded back to my credit card. I've yet to see if these orders that are stopped get refunded on the import duty.
Thank you for the information, Spigzy.
So after uploading your information to DHL, you were not asked to pay import duties again (by DHL) before getting your shipment?
(The hefty duty prepayment included in the Amazon price was indeed deemed sufficient to settle this.)
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

The only time I got hit by more import duty was when DHL did not have the portal and I had to use an agent; the agent charged again, but not DHL. Now DHL has the portal up, and the duty has been collected by Amazon up front (and usually over the amount needed), the goods are just released as per normal delivery.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic