Grab app not what it was?????

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Grab app not what it was?????

Post by mikeukt »

Does seem like the Grab app is having some problems when it comes to getting a tuktuk. First, more and more often the map is inaccurate. I generally wait a few minutes to see if the driver is moving in my direction, if not I cancel and try again. Several times now the map shows no movement, I'm about to cancel then the driver appears in front of my (I do check the plate number to confirm). Other times I try to cancel and the app won't register it, just returns me to the map.

Anyone else having these problems?
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Re: Grab app not what it was?????

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

It's possible the driver could be saving data/battery by turning off his mobile data.

As for going in the wrong direction, the green one on the left is probably the blue one on the right
sumfin smart
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

One continuing issue, I think, is the location accuracy of the driver. A similar problem with many locals, resulting in wildly inaccurate map positions.
Ask someone to send you their location, and it will be a general location accurate to a kilometre or two.

Now add that into a map and the updating is sporadic. The built in map generates a best guess routing of the drivers location based, accurate maybe to a kilometre or so, on a trip that may only be a couple of kilometres.

I experienced this recently on a family trip. The location reference was the default geographic location of the town, because they were restricting data usage.

The whole country is reliant on using data services to conduct everyday business, and then limiting these services to save on data.
A byproduct of a telephone network that’s in its infancy, despite the length of time in actual service.

As mike alludes to- the map embedded for use in the app is out of date. But the optimised routing based on poor location data is following a route that has long since been dug up, resulting in a ridiculously rough ride because that is the shorter ‘optimised’ route.

But! As the general culture here is to make something, and let it degrade naturally, I believe there is no effort to maintain and improve- only to replace when serviceability has become so poor as to be impassable.

Some currently acknowledge developed nations are having similar issues with massively pot-holed roads where once efficient highways lay. Yet building new highways takes precedence over maintaining existing ones.
verdebandit
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by verdebandit »

Grab recently added sharing your actual location and not just the pin you put with the driver which will hopefully help with pickups. Overall grab is still better than pass app for location and routing.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

verdebandit wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:58 am Grab recently added sharing your actual location and not just the pin you put with the driver which will hopefully help with pickups. Overall grab is still better than pass app for location and routing.
It frequently fails. Numerous times around Daun Penh, despite the app.map acknowledging the pickup location- eg, Harry’s or some other specific location, it then frequently defaults to a generic pickup point. Which the driver duly misses. In the torrential rain, I’ve seen the driver finally realise that we are standing there waiting, and they expect us to cross the road in pouring rain.
2 or 3 minutes of this standoff leading to cancellation seems not to worry them much.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I haven't had any real map issues with Grab in Phnom Penh. I'm careful when selecting pick-up and drop-off locations and it has generally worked very well.

When searching for a map location by name of a building, it's obviously important to double-check the result. Many buildings have been put in the wrong place by some idiot, but there's often another search result of the same place (or one next door) available with the correct location.

I've saved my most common pick-up and drop-off locations, so that I don't have to deal with the selection process again and again. That probably covers about 90% of my trips by now.

Siem Reap is a different story though. Many Grab drivers there seem pretty much unable to find you without calling you first, which I find quite annoying. No idea why, if anything things should be easier there compared with Phnom Penh.
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

Just to add a further comment, the Grab app isn't very responsive to changes of location. As in, I go to Thai Huot on Grab having put in that destination. I then walk to Kiwi Mart (now Big C). get Grab, it still shows Thai Huot as pick up. Easily solved I know, but indicative of the app location sensitivity problem.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Is Passapp still big there? i miss taking those tuk tuk rides in PP and using passapp was great bc the drivers were honest with the app 100% of the time.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

verdebandit wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:58 am Grab recently added sharing your actual location and not just the pin you put with the driver which will hopefully help with pickups. Overall grab is still better than pass app for location and routing.
When I enter my address in Passapp it pops up as somewhere random within a 500m radius of my pick up spot

But then I drag the dot to where I physically am - and that's where the drivers arrive to

This also often reduces estimated fares by 500r I have noticed
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Not a single Grab problem on my most recent visit, save for a few of the drivers failing to stop at the destination pin that's sitting on their map right in front of their faces. A minor issue, nothing to sweat over. PassApp, however, was often incorrect on my location, same as Jerry, just had to drag the pin to where I actually was.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic