Kanazawa Japanese restaurant

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Kanazawa Japanese restaurant

Post by hanno »

Kanazawa Japanese Restaurant
House number 173, 175 Preah Sisowath Quay, Phnom Penh
Monday to Sunday from 11:00 to 00:00
Tel: 085 759 884

Food: 4.5/5
Service: 4/5
Value for money: 5/5
Ambience: 4.5/5

This is a fairly newish restaurant on the Riverside, having opened towards the end of last year. I have walked past it many times, but it always looked a little to hipsterish and expensive for this simple fool. I finally gave it a shot when I was nearby and in need of some Japanese food.

Industrial chic.

The owners obviously put quite a bit of money in the design and construction of the place. The very clear, almost industrial, design is not exactly cozy, but it has grown on me (I have been three times now). The whole place is dominated by a massive bar with the now frills tables across two floors.

Service has been impeccable on every visit and the food arrived fast, though I have only been at lunch time, it does seem to be a lot busier in the evenings. They pride themselves in their cocktails, but I cannot really comment on the drinks as I either had lime juice or beer.

The dry ice smoke is a gimmick.

The menu is heavy on Sushi and Sashimi, but there are a few meat dishes as well. They also have a couple of Ramen dishes and Okonomiyaki, a savory pancake. Prices are reasonable for a Japanese restaurant; to give a few examples: the Sashimi with 6 kinds of fish is $13.50, 8 pieces of Sushi come in at $9.90, and a bowl of Ramen will set you back $5.50.

Tuna Tataki with mango salsa.

The food does obviously not compare with what you get in Japan, but the fish was fresh every time I had it; unlike what I have had in some other Japanese restaurants in Phnom Penh. On my last visit, I went for the Sashimi with 7 kinds of fish and scallops ($15.90 for 2 pieces of each), the Katsudon (pork cutlet with egg at $5.50) and seaweed stems ($2.00). On another occasion I had the Niçoise salad with fresh tuna. Excellent and, at $6.50, half of what I paid for a Niçoise salad at La Croisette.

Pork Katsudon.

In short, well worth a visit if one is looking for decent Japanese food at very reasonable prices.

Not really Japanese, but the Niçoise salad is very good.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Re: Kanazawa Japanese restaurant

Post by Gazzy »

At night, the downstairs and bar look awesome, lighting is everything. Upstairs you can sit outside and face the river..a little dark for my liking. Not really knowledgeable about Japanese food but the tablet-menu they provide you make things easy to identify with great pics. Loved the sashimi, really fresh, so many choices. Cocktails were strong enough and priced between 4-6 dollars. Food prices also extremely reasonable, considering the location. Service is on point. Strong recommendation.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Great review Hanno, very well put together & informative. Thank you.

Hope to see more reviews from you.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Thanks for the review, another good one I'll have to take note of

What are you using to take the photos?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Darkcel wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:04 am Thanks for the review, another good one I'll have to take note of

What are you using to take the photos?
Just my Samsung phone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic