Warning; National Road 4 (Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville)Closed Due to Flooding- UPDATES

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Warning; National Road 4 (Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville)Closed Due to Flooding- UPDATES

Post by phuketrichard »

dam:

Continuing heavy flooding on National Road 4 caught 2 foreigners unaware when their car was overwhelmed by water

my gf's sister house in Kep ( 300 meters from Martinis) is under 18" of rain!!
car an 4 motorbikes under water>

Our house 200 meters from Martinis is safe, while every house around us was flooded, good thing i built it up 1 meter of dirt an than the foundation is 1 ft off the ground as well!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Warning; National Road 4 (Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville)Closed Due to Flooding- UPDATES

Post by Username Taken »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:30 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:26 pm UPDATE
Kampong Speu: The National Road 5 is still closed at Steung Samrong Bridge (1 hour ago).
Where is that, exactly?
It's the road from Phnom Penh to Battambang. You take it to go to Pursat.
Steung Samrong seems to actually be in Pursat, not Kampong Speu. However, there is a tiny section of NR 5 where Kandal, Kpg Speu and Pursat meet. It might be around there (but I don't know).
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:49 am
Kampong Speu: The National Road 5 is still closed at Steung Samrong Bridge (1 hour ago).
Where is that, exactly?
It's the road from Phnom Penh to Battambang. You take it to go to Pursat.
Steung Samrong seems to actually be in Pursat, not Kampong Speu. However, there is a tiny section of NR 5 where Kandal, Kpg Speu and Pursat meet. It might be around there (but I don't know).
That’s what I was guessing at, as it was a bit unclear; NR5 as far as I can tell does not actually go into Kampong Speu province. Did they mean NR4? The ministry letter posted references road33, which is down Kampot/Kep way, iirc.

We were planning to head to the province this week, Krakor, but if it’s cut off, then that knocks that idea on its head. Near Oudong, frequently there are flooding issues, which makes for interesting planning exercises when we head to the province.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Posted this morning - 5 hours ago - 31/07/023
Please be informed that on July 31, 2023 Steung Samrong Bridge, National Road 4, km 115 - 116 the water level has been cleared and the traffic is open again.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Where is that, exactly?
Correction: The Steung Saroeng bridge is on National Road 5, but in Kampong Seila district, NOT Kampong Speu as written above. The area is now a part of Sihanoukville province, but used belong to Koh Kong.

According to PNN news this morning, the road has been reopened.
(PNN, broadcast on the morning of July 31, 2023) - The flood situation on National Road No. 4 at Stung Samrong Bridge in Kampong Seila district, Preah Sihanouk province, which was flooded on July 30, 2023, until July 31, 2023, the water level has receded. Traffic on National Road 4 at Stung Samrong Bridge is back to normal…
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Warning; National Road 4 (Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville)Closed Due to Flooding

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:10 pm
Barang chgout wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:03 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote:Image
National Road 4 is now open to cars and light vehicles.
If I have a black Camry, is i allowed?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
No of course not. Did you ever see a black Camry ? Lexus should be ok. ;)
Back in the day when my wife and I visited there were Camry's everywhere. I started calling it Camrybodia. :)
What, Me worry?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:09 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:33 am National Roads are the arteries which the lifeblood of Cambodia flows through. I would assume the government has an interest in keeping them open when it rains.

The country has a blueprint (courtesy of the Chinese), of how to build a road that doesn’t flood when it rains.

Are they simply waiting for a generous donor country to rebuild all their national roads to this standard?

Just my opinion.
National Route 4 was built by the US.
That makes sense, it is about as shitty as an American highway. The new expressway, on the other hand, is a decent Chinese copy of a German autobahn.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia News (Sihanoukville): On July 30, 2023, heavy rainfall flooded many villages along National Road 4 in Steung Samrong village, Obak Rotes commune, Kompong Seila district, Sihanoukville.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

September 27, 2023
Authorities temporarily suspend traffic on National Road 4 at km 153 due to flooding
Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration, on the morning of September 27, 2023, informed the public and all people travelling through National Road 4, that as of 9:30 this morning, the water level had risen to 0.6 meters between km 153 and 154 along National Road 4 in Stung Stung Chhay commune, Kampong Seila district, Preah Sihanouk province.

Therefore, to ensure the safety of travel, the provincial administration would temporarily stop traffic at the above location. Motorisrs are urged to find temporary detours or use the expressway.
-KT

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic