Culture Lesson

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Culture Lesson

Post by prahkeitouj »

[quote="Samouth"]*Talking about yourself

If you meet a Cambodians for the first time some of the questions that they are likely to ask you will surprise you beside asking about your name, nationality and work.
Those questions are:
1. How old are you ?
2. How much is your salary?

I don't like these questions. When people ask me, i try to change topic :-) it seems they interferin our personal lives. But you have to answer these questions if you ask Khmer women to marry.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:*Talking about yourself

If you meet a Cambodians for the first time some of the questions that they are likely to ask you will surprise you beside asking about your name, nationality and work.
Those questions are:
1. How old are you ?

I don't like these questions. When people ask me, i try to change topic :-) it seems they interferin our personal lives. But you have to answer these questions if you ask Khmer women to marry.
It doesn't suprise me as many Cambodians nowaday tend to follow western culture lolzz. I think it is not good too to ask people you first meet such quesitons.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

It doesn't suprise me as many Cambodians nowaday tend to follow western culture lolzz. I think it is not good too to ask people you first meet such quesitons.[/quote]

It's not a culture but habit. New generation will follow the older people if they think it's good, but if it's not good the young should change it :-)
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

i think i have personally changed it. i have never asked people i first met about job, degree and salary, however i am happy to introduce them about myself and also would love to hear from them. However, if they are not happy or feel comfortable to tell me, i will not push them lolzz.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Also, religion. Don't ask me if I am a Christian because I'm white and from the west. Stupid on many levels.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

prahkeitouj wrote:

Those questions are:
1. How old are you ?

I don't like these questions. When people ask me, i try to change topic :-) it seems they interferin our personal lives.

But you have to answer these questions if you ask Khmer women to marry.

But we already know what the answer will be. YES, YES, YES.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

prahkeitouj wrote:

Those questions are:
1. How old are you ?

You should tell them that you're 10 years older than you actually are and homeless and if they're still interested, it is love.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

MekongMouse wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:

Those questions are:
1. How old are you ?

You should tell them that you're 10 years older than you actually are and homeless and if they're still interested, it is love.
It's Khmer 's culture. Most people believe in the date of birth match of new couple before they marry, they need know it if they are perfect match or not.Moreover the groom has to give dowry to brides's family. And after marriage, woman keeps Husband's salary for supporting family. That is why most men are tricky. They hide their some money in the socks, in their care , in their sleeves... hehe I think funny :lol:

However I don't like the stupid belief that couple can live happily if their date of birth is perfect match.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

Yeah, that birthday thing makes no sense. I don't really like when people base major decisions on superstition.

I also wouldn't want to hand my salary over; a shared bank account is fine, but I would want input on major financial decisions.

I just feel relationships work better when people approach them as partners, not by trying to conform to predefined cultural norms. Why do something a certain way just because it has been done that way before?
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

MekongMouse wrote:Yeah, that birthday thing makes no sense. I don't really like when people base major decisions on superstition.

I also wouldn't want to hand my salary over; a shared bank account is fine, but I would want input on major financial decisions.

I just feel relationships work better when people approach them as partners, not by trying to conform to predefined cultural norms. Why do something a certain way just because it has been done that way before?
It's just culture norm but couple still can choose which way better for them. :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic