Cousin's Burger and Cafe

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Cousin's Burger and Cafe

Post by hanno »

Cousin’s Burger & Coffee
Number 16, Street 200, Phnom Penh
Monday to Saturday from 11:00 to 22:00
Tel: 012 528 126

Food: 5/5
Service: 4.5/5
Value for money: 4.5/5
Ambience: 3/5

Eating burgers at a French restaurant had never entered my mind. Don’t get me wrong, there is fantastic French food out there, but I did not have our French comrades on the radar for a nice, juicy burger.

Thus, it was not without a little anxiety that I entered Cousin’s Burger. The restaurant itself is quite small and not the sort of place you would want to take someone for a romantic first date, but then this is a burger joint after all. The menu is not very big, and a couple of items were not available.

The very friendly lady suggested that I take the set menu, consisting of any burger, French fries, and a beer for $9.50 including tax. That seemed like a plan, and I chose the “Frenchy’s”, a beef burger with smoked bacon, raclette cheese and caramelized onions.

The burger arrived quickly, I was the only guest, and it looked pretty decent. The bun was obviously house made, as were the fries. I was not asked how I wanted the burger done, medium of course, but it arrived cooked just right. Something to keep in mind though if you are one of those perverts that eat their burgers cooked to a crisp. The burger was very tasty, as was “Cousin’s BBQ Sauce”.

I do not eat burgers very often but the next time the urge overcomes me, Cousin’s would certainly be a top contender for my patronage.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Cousin's Burger and Cafe

Post by phuketrichard »

you ate 2 of those?? yikes
now i know here you get all ur energy for the Hash's
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

hanno wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:23 pm Cousin’s Burger & Coffee
Number 16, Street 200, Phnom Penh
Monday to Saturday from 11:00 to 22:00
Tel: 012 528 126

Food: 5/5
Service: 4.5/5
Value for money: 4.5/5
Ambience: 3/5

Eating burgers at a French restaurant had never entered my mind. Don’t get me wrong, there is fantastic French food out there, but I did not have our French comrades on the radar for a nice, juicy burger.

Thus, it was not without a little anxiety that I entered Cousin’s Burger. The restaurant itself is quite small and not the sort of place you would want to take someone for a romantic first date, but then this is a burger joint after all. The menu is not very big, and a couple of items were not available.

The very friendly lady suggested that I take the set menu, consisting of any burger, French fries, and a beer for $9.50 including tax. That seemed like a plan, and I chose the “Frenchy’s”, a beef burger with smoked bacon, raclette cheese and caramelized onions.

The burger arrived quickly, I was the only guest, and it looked pretty decent. The bun was obviously house made, as were the fries. I was not asked how I wanted the burger done, medium of course, but it arrived cooked just right. Something to keep in mind though if you are one of those perverts that eat their burgers cooked to a crisp. The burger was very tasty, as was “Cousin’s BBQ Sauce”.

I do not eat burgers very often but the next time the urge overcomes me, Cousin’s would certainly be a top contender for my patronage.

The pictures looks better than the reality.
Boredom is like a shroud
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

Cousins burgers are good, very good, as are the trimmings, fries, bun etc. I ask for my preference, medium rare and that's how the burger comes. Beer is reasonable priced for a restaurant. Yeah, it's small but not too cramped.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Digging the reviews Hanno :thumb:

I like your style - descriptive and straight up.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

if you are one of those perverts that eat their burgers cooked to a crisp.

Well, I'm one of those perverts that know that E-Coli in the cow's intestines can transfer during slaughter and infect the other parts of the carcass that eventually becomes mince. Undercooked mince is the #1 way to get E-Coli and commercial pre-ground mince is where all your troubles will come from. Also, buying intact beef of unknown origin from Cambodian markets and mincing it yourself** is even more perilous. You must know that.

You also must know that Cambodia has fuck-all food safety standards with zero product recall abilities until half the villagers start dying.

I hope you don't allow your children to eat under-cooked mince in Cambodia.

**Our chef gets daily of Pork, beef and chicken which have been selected for their high quality" :facepalm:
https://www.cousin-s.com/
(That means the local fly-infested meat market)
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

^^^^ I imagine market customers are still conducting their tried and true barehanded product inspections after parking their 18-year-old 2-strokes and packing their plastic bags of chicken feet after paying out their filthy 5000 riel notes. Ummm, yummy.

Anyway, the burger and fries look fine to me.

And, another cracking good, and fair and balanced review from Hanno.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic