David's Noodle

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

David's Noodle

Post by hanno »

David’s Noodles
13, #166 Preah Ang Eng St. (13), Phnom Penh
Monday to Sunday from 10:00 to 22:00
Tel: 012 351 890

Food: 3.5/5
Service: 5/5
Value for money: 4.5/5
Ambience: 3/5

This place, near the National Museum, gets lots of rave reviews, especially for their noodles; and I just had to give it a shot, being a big fan of freshly made noodles.

When we got there, it was pretty crowded, but we were greeted by very friendly staff and given a table inside. The owner, who is actually not called David, that is his son’s name, also came and inquired about our preferences.

Great banana shake and considerably cheaper than what most places charge.

We ended up ordering Banana shake (1.75), fresh spring rolls with prawns ($3.50), steamed dumplings with prawns, fried dumplings with pork ($3.50) and noodle soup with beef ($5.00). All very reasonable prices but would the food be any good and live up to the hype?

Not bad at all.

The food arrived very quickly, and the portions were generous. Some decoration would have been nice, presentation wasn’t all that sexy. The spring rolls were huge and very tasty. They were also very Vietnamese and almost as good as any spring rolls I have had in Vietnam. However, the dumplings were a little underwhelming. They were cooked right and hot enough that I ended up with blisters on my tongue (not their fault, I was hungry) but they just were missing something. They came with a huge load of chopped garlic, but I would have preferred some other condiment. There was soy sauce, vinegar, and chili oil on the table, which helped but that certain kick was missing.

Presentation wasn't that great.

Better than the steamed dumplings in my opinion.

The beef noodle soup continued the trend. The noodles were nice and chewy, but the broth lacked flavor. Nothing like a good “Pho” broth like in the country of our communist brothers next door. The beef, whilst generous, was a little on the tough side. I ended up adding liberal amounts of chili oil to the soup to make it more palatable.

OK, but not packed with flavours.

The food wasn’t bad, far from it, but it does not quite live up to the hype. On a positive note: the service was excellent; the owner was constantly around, and that banana shake was worth every cent. Would I go back? Sure, if I wanted a quick bite at very reasonable prices.

Can't complain about the prices.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: David's Noodle

Post by Alex »

Same here, I like to go there from time to time but I've never understood the hype.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Taste, quantity and service are much more important than presentation IMO and more so if value for money is a major consideration. Good review though and definitely a place worth checking out.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Alex wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:30 am Same here, I like to go there from time to time but I've never understood the hype.
Almost certain the hype comes from tourists who visit there and get the experience of going back home and saying "I ate at an authentic Cambodian restaurant!"

Do they still make the noodles out front? My kids loved watching that.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I come to davids for years, he just to have 2 units before Covid but didnt continue the second lease due of Covid. The hype is that he makes his noodles on the street-side with a lot of banging noise, and all the backpackers will make pictures of it, thats the hype. I did go in first time also because of the ratings on tripadvisor. The boss is always around and very friendly, when i returned as one of the first guys who flied in to KOW in november 21 the place was empty ofcourse, but he was so welcoming when he saw back an old customer. For cheap Khmer food its (together with noode house on 130) my favourite place.Even his wine is cheap, but used to be never chilled, i learned them to put wine also in the cooling (even red-one, sorry french-mens) !! ??
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

My noodle joints are or were all past Monivong in the Vietnamese areas parallel. I walked by David's many times but the tourist crowd and the advertising was a turn off. Also, hand-pulled noodles are not that rare in PP.
Looking at the Pho I can see what you mean when you write about the broth.

I'll keep sneaking around those side streets and keep to my 10K places. Service is as expected, presentation, well - as expected, ambience like-wise but the food is what I love.

Thanks for another enlightening review.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

IraHayes wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:59 pm Taste, quantity and service are much more important than presentation IMO and more so if value for money is a major consideration. Good review though and definitely a place worth checking out.
I agree but, as we say in German: one eats with the eye too.
Priom Fhear
Tourist

Post by Priom Fhear »

Been a couple of times years ago, underwhelmed, soup has no flavor. My favourite hand made noodle shop is Maple Tree on Charles de Galle just off Central Market. Taiwanese restaurant and the broth is awesome.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic