No idea price BUT fantastic opportunity in Kampot

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: No idea price BUT fantastic opportunity in Kampot

Post by IraHayes »

truffledog wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:05 am The value of this restaurant / hotel is not the businesses. Its a prime location that one day will have a highrise condo or similar.

And when the land will be sold the "rental/lease" contract wiill be worth NOTHING
And here we have the “reason” to sell. By all accounts this place has been going for a long time, survived COVID and yet now it’s for sale?
Things that make you go “hmmmm”

Best guess is the current owner is astute enough that he sees the writing on the wall and is selling on a high. The owner will have seen how fast things are changing and the potential greed of his landlord. He will have also lived through the devastation of Sihanoukville (ie. he read about it and saw the influx of new businesses and expats who relocated) and he can see where it is all going in the next 5 years.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

20 years is a long time for someone to stay in one place running business, maybe the owner has a genuine reason to want to move on for a change of view and see the rest of the world.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

There could be a myriad of reasons for wanting to sell up, with several of the obvious ones already stated. There’s a couple of businesses in that region that were decent, yet they’ve gone, now.

However! If the business is reliant on the reputation of its name, and the reputation is reliant on the current proprietor, and the proprietor is the one who is selling, then what is left is a name at a location.

Locally, where we live, there was a small restaurant that seemed adequately popular. Food was great, and we went at least once a week. Then the chef left, and the new chef did it his way, which was not as good, but still decent. And then the new chef left, and the new new chef did it differently.
And now the restaurant is covered car parking…
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

...However! If the business is reliant on the reputation of its name, and the reputation is reliant on the current proprietor, and the proprietor is the one who is selling, then what is left is a name at a location.
i never met the owner in at least a dozen visits nor felt any need to
The views were great on the river at sunset< the food was quick, priced right, tasted great and worth the price<
staff were spot on>

In my eyes
All what makes a business' successful, any business' that relies on the owner being there, has little resale value>

he might be seeing the writing on the wall, OR he just might want a change of scenery with a few $$ in his pocket
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

IraHayes wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:10 am
truffledog wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:05 am The value of this restaurant / hotel is not the businesses. Its a prime location that one day will have a highrise condo or similar.

And when the land will be sold the "rental/lease" contract wiill be worth NOTHING
And here we have the “reason” to sell. By all accounts this place has been going for a long time, survived COVID and yet now it’s for sale?

Best guess is the current owner is astute enough that he sees the writing on the wall and is selling on a high. The owner will have seen how fast things are changing and the potential greed of his landlord. He will have also lived through the devastation of Sihanoukville (ie. he read about it and saw the influx of new businesses and expats who relocated) and he can see where it is all going in the next 5 years.
It has a modest footprint on the corner and is next door to the recently refurbished Post Office and Communications buildings owned by the Govt so I doubt a highrise is on the horizon.

The owners have been there 20yrs so I doubt they have issues with greedy landlords and maybe for family reasons they want to go home? They stayed open, employed staff, and survived Covid so maybe the time is right? The staff there are excellent and very loyal which points to an owner who runs the business properly. Happy Hour cocktails sees the place busy most evenings and that translates to food sales. Great reputation, awesome scenery and a well run operation.

A fantastic opportunity for someone who has the experience and management skills to buy into a great business.

Disclaimer - I do go there regularly and chat with the owners but the above comments are based on what I have observed and experienced and news of the sale I saw on FB yesterday so I had no prior knowledge.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

kgbagent wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:06 pm
IraHayes wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:10 am

It has a modest footprint on the corner and is next door to the recently refurbished Post Office and Communications buildings owned by the Govt so I doubt a highrise is on the horizon.

The owners have been there 20yrs so I doubt they have issues with greedy landlords and maybe for family reasons they want to go home? They stayed open, employed staff, and survived Covid so maybe the time is right? The staff there are excellent and very loyal which points to an owner who runs the business properly. Happy Hour cocktails sees the place busy most evenings and that translates to food sales. Great reputation, awesome scenery and a well run operation.

A fantastic opportunity for someone who has the experience and management skills to buy into a great business.

Disclaimer - I do go there regularly and chat with the owners but the above comments are based on what I have observed and experienced and news of the sale I saw on FB yesterday so I had no prior knowledge.

Maybe you are correct as 20 years is a hell of a long time to be doing anything and even something you enjoy can be dulled after that length of time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic