CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Facebook in Asia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

HE: No plans to ban Facebook
1 July 2023
[excerpt]
Despite his dismay, HE said he is "not ignorant enough" to impose a ban on Facebook as expected by the overseas-based opposition. He explained that they anticipated a shutdown as the move would fuel public anger against him.

"I understand my compatriots very well. Facebook is their popular means of communication and news sharing and a lot of people rely on the platform for their businesses. So I'm not foolish enough to cut off their lifeline," he added, noting that the firm itself had generated substantial profits from its presence in Cambodia.

"[But] I won't shut it down and only terminate its representation in Cambodia," he said of his decision, as stated in an official notice by the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications shortly after his audio address.
In full: https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... n-facebook
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

This happens when a foreign company gains access to wide-ranging communication channels. I can see on my Facebook page that I don't really have a choice about what shows up on my timeline. Some posts are brutally removed, branded as spam, and so on. Several fake profiles on my behalf with content that harms my personal image and cannot be removed. No doubt this will spark a prolonged conflict as local businesses and the establishment are denied proper and fair access to information technology. I've seen Facebook getting more and more aggressive here and not trusting them at all because they are not what they tell everyone they are.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

good summary of recent events
Cambodia PM backtracks on threat to ban Facebook amid content row
A political fiasco has unfolded for Facebook after Prime Minister HE was accused of inciting violence on the platform.

“I only decided to close down my own Facebook,” HE said in a voice message on the Telegram messaging app on Friday night.

I have no intention to shut down Facebook in Cambodia,” he said, closing out a day in which many Cambodians discovered that their ruler of almost 40 years had been accused by a Facebook oversight board of inciting violence against political opponents on his profile page.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/7/1 ... ontent-row
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
mi1
Expatriate
Belarus

Post by mi1 »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:54 am as most likely 75+% of Cambodian business's use fb ( just guessing) would He kick them out, just cause they banned him?
My personal experience businesses/people in Phnom Penh already today prefer to use Telegram for communication. FB is still very valuable as advertisement platform but as communication channel Telegram already ahead.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:54 pm
Darkcel wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:42 pm
Username Taken wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:31 am
Darkcel wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:00 am Called it, he's mad.

Nordvpn isn't expensive
What exactly did you call?
I said back in June, that he'd ban Facebook within a week if he was given a ban.
But he hasn't banned Facebook.
And it hasn't been a week now has it?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

mi1 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:59 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:54 am as most likely 75+% of Cambodian business's use fb ( just guessing) would He kick them out, just cause they banned him?
My personal experience businesses/people in Phnom Penh already today prefer to use Telegram for communication. FB is still very valuable as advertisement platform but as communication channel Telegram already ahead.
That's my experience as well. And most people have several apps anyway, if you tell them you don't use Facebook Messenger but Telegram they'll use Telegram to contact you.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Alex wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:36 pm
mi1 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:59 pm
That's my experience as well. And most people have several apps anyway, if you tell them you don't use Facebook Messenger but Telegram they'll use Telegram to contact you.
Sure, Telegram and Whatsapp are very useful for communication, but not for what most Cambodians use Facebook for, especially sellers.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

REVERSE::

HE Facebook page reactivated days before polls
PHNOM PENH: Cambodian leader HE's Facebook page has been re-activated days before a one-sided national election, according to his assistant, who said Thursday the prime minister would not use it himself.

It is the latest twist in a row that has seen the prolific user quit Cambodia's most popular social media site, deactivate his account, and threaten to ban the platform.

He also blacklisted more than 20 members of the Oversight Board for Facebook's parent company Meta, after it recommended his account be suspended over a video in which he threatened to beat up his rivals.

"I have decided to use this page and I request that it be kept for use to serve the interest of the nation despite Samdech (HE) not using it anymore," government official Duong Dara, who runs HE's social media, posted on the page

full story;
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/26147 ... odia-polls
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic