Thailand elections: Polls open with Thaksin's daughter as frontrunner

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Thailand elections: Polls open with Thaksin's daughter as frontrunner

Post by phuketrichard »

The controversial Article 112 of the Criminal Code on lèse-majesté was debated openly in parliament on Thursday with Mr Pita Limjaroenrat arguing that reform of the law would help to protect the dignity of the Monarchy while Move Forward Party Secretary-general, Chaitawat Tulathon, said no one should be jailed for defamation. In reply, Senator Somchai Sawangkarn described the Move Forward Party as a dangerous cult with extreme views that threatened the peace of the kingdom as he launched a scathing attack on what he called attempts to coerce the Senate through online social media activism.
Thai politics took a step further into what could be a serious political crisis on Thursday when parliament failed to elect list MP Pita Limjaroenrat as Thailand’s 30th Prime Minister even after he was the only nominee before parliament supported by an eight-party coalition representing 72% of voters and 62% of seats in the House of Representatives. In an often ill-tempered and fiery debate, opposition to Mr Pita came from the Senate and MPs aligned with the outgoing government which decisively lost the May 14th General Election. With two serious petitions before the Constitutional Court against both Mr Pita and the Move Forward Party itself, taken up only on Wednesday, the day before the key parliamentary vote, there are fears that the situation may deteriorate further if the court subsequently acts against the prime ministerial nominee and the winning party in that poll.

PM nominee warned Article 112 is abused by vested interests to retain benefits or even business interests. New government would uphold the Monarchy
The Move Forward Party leader went further and described the abuse of the lèse-majesté law, Article 112, by conservative elements in Thailand as a danger and said that the Move Forward Party and the coalition that signed the Memorandum of Understanding for the government were committed to upholding the highest institution as a revered pillar of the country.

Mr Pita said his party’s policy was designed to preserve the monarchy and its power in the context of a modern democracy.

‘By doing this, the monarchy will be able to maintain its dignity in Thai society,’ he declared.
In one case, Mr Chada Thaiseth, a Bhumjaithai Party MP, suggested that anyone insulting the king should be shot.

‘Anyone who insults the King, just take a gun,’ he exclaimed.

Mr Pita responded in return that under Thai law there is a presumption of innocence and that in Parliament there can be no tolerance for those acting as vigilantes.
https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news- ... t-vote-pm/

IF he had never mentioned anything about the monarchy and nothing about Article 112 of the Criminal Code on lèse-majesté
he most likely would have won, BUT the die hard generals wont have this:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Thailand elections:

Post by phuketrichard »

At 9:30 am Weds the Constitutional Court will consider whether to accept EC petition to suspend Pita as MP & leader of MFP.
If the court accepts the petition for review, Pita will be prohibited from performing his duties until the court reaches a decision.

2nd round tomorrow

Pita secures coalition support - The eight-party prospective coalition has agreed to nominate Move Forward Party (MFP) leader Pita Limjaroenrat as prime minister in the second round of voting set to take place tomorrow, amid growing doubts about his re nomination.
♦️Srettha ‘ready to be PM’, looks to revive economy - Srettha Thavisin, one of the Pheu Thai Party’s three prime minister candidates, has declared himself ready to become prime minister if he wins the trust of his party to take on the top job.
♦️Court to decide on EC petition - The Constitutional Court is to decide tomorrow whether to hear a petition submitted last week by the Election Commission (EC) seeking a court ruling on whether Move Forward Party (MFP) leader Pita Limjaroenrat’s MP status is now considered invalid, according to a source.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Thai court suspends prime ministerial hopeful Pita Limjaroenrat’s status as lawmaker

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/19/asia ... index.html
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hanno wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:49 pm Thai court suspends prime ministerial hopeful Pita Limjaroenrat’s status as lawmaker

the ruling dinosaurs were shocked he got so many votes and in reality he never stood a chance of being the next PM

Pita's speech
#โหวตนายกรอบ2:
@Pita_MFP
“I have received a document from the Constitutional Court to stand down as MP. I’m informing you, Mr. Speaker, that I’m acknowledging and complying with it until a verdict has been made. May I use this opportunity to say goodbye, until we see again and I’m asking my fellow MPs to look after the people.”

“I believe that Thailand has changed since (the elections on) May 14 and the people have already won half the battle, there’s another half to go. Even though I’m not carrying out my duties (as MP), I’m asking my fellow MPs to look after the people. Thank you, Mr. Speaker.”

and the shit kicks off with more to come :(

cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:44 pm
hanno wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:49 pm Thai court suspends prime ministerial hopeful Pita Limjaroenrat’s status as lawmaker

the ruling dinosaurs were shocked he got so many votes and in reality he never stood a chance of being the next PM

Pita's speech
#โหวตนายกรอบ2:
@Pita_MFP
“I have received a document from the Constitutional Court to stand down as MP. I’m informing you, Mr. Speaker, that I’m acknowledging and complying with it until a verdict has been made. May I use this opportunity to say goodbye, until we see again and I’m asking my fellow MPs to look after the people.”

“I believe that Thailand has changed since (the elections on) May 14 and the people have already won half the battle, there’s another half to go. Even though I’m not carrying out my duties (as MP), I’m asking my fellow MPs to look after the people. Thank you, Mr. Speaker.”

and the shit kicks off with more to come :(

Seems absolutely mental. I know each country has its idiosyncrasies but it does seem like the people have spoken, and then been completely ignored. Judging by the percentage chance it's going back to either the military or the Shinawatra clan again. The wheel turns but nothing changes
angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Post by angsta »

The young people of Thailand are getting royally fucked up the arse by a man who hates Thailand so much that he lives permanently in Germany. .
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

angsta wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:24 pm The young people of Thailand are getting royally fucked up the arse by a man who hates Thailand so much that he lives permanently in Germany. .
nope, hasn't been back to Germany this year< He is not really wanted there, He owes millions in back tax's from when his dad died, an they told him pay up or leave so......
the will of the people means fuck all here

last night

angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Post by angsta »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:31 am
angsta wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:24 pm The young people of Thailand are getting royally fucked up the arse by a man who hates Thailand so much that he lives permanently in Germany. .
nope, hasn't been back to Germany this year< He is not really wanted there, He owes millions in back tax's from when his dad died, an they told him pay up or leave so......
the will of the people means fuck all here

last night

Well, well, well. Good for them.

There are a lot of junta supporting ex-pats in Thailand.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

It's about time they renamed the Democracy Monument to something more appropriate.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:37 am It's about time they renamed the Democracy Monument to something more appropriate.
After a few invane trials to elect the new PM the military will take over again to restore a "functioning" government with the promise to hold new elections in a few years.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic