Scammed at Larry’s Bar

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Scammed at Larry’s Bar

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:18 pm
Gary Small wrote:
hanno wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:53 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:01 am I remember leaving a negative post for Alamo and getting roasted multiple times by some members for it. How dare I leave a review because I wasn’t living there for decades. Same psycho analyzing, doctor playing, navel gazing keyboard warriors. Until Srey Choppy happened.

I would assume a good owner would want to know about problems at his establishment. But how the poor OP has been crucified by members on this forum, maybe not.
I have no problem getting roasted. But there are certainly double-standards at play here. If I had made the same comment about, let's say, a Khmer restaurant not being frequented by the esteemed forum members, it would be all good. Mention a restaurant where the CEO clientele seems to be in the majority, and the pitchforks come out.
So in that imaginary khmer restaurant you're visiting? I would have said , that you should have really checked your imaginary money before handing it over. Having imaginary drinks when you're not a big drinker addles the brain.
Why would you say the restaurant and the horrific event is imaginary?

The place existed and the events are real.

This thread is the perfect example why 99% lurk and don’t dare contribute to make CEO are richer place.

People don’t like being attacking for telling the truth, or even expressing their opinions.

And I never claimed to be tough, only paid to be abused at work.
The problem here is that 99% of statistics are made up, like this one and your one above. Also your contention that you got roasted multiple times by some members for leaving a bad review of Alamo is made up. There was one single poster "angkorjohn" who "roasted" you. Here is the proof:
getting-your-fill/alamo-cafe-phnom-penh ... ilit=alamo
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

So quiet here. Seems the boy group has learned its lesson. All they need is an adult in the room who explains to them the world. Good kids.

Anyone eaten at that joint lately?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Pizzalover wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:39 am Seems the boy group has learned its lesson.
Who is that?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Pizzalover wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:38 pm
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:31 pm
Pizzalover wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:15 pm My goodness, a simple warning and not so good food review and some characters feel the urge to behave like the Thai internet authorities. Luckily, this is not Thailand.
In other words, it is perfectly fine to criticize food and expose unacceptable practices. This is a good service especially when it comes from a respectable and well-established contributor with lots of experience in the industry. One might expect that the business would reach out to Hanno and see what can be done. Apparently, no such interest. That in itself is a second warning. They are enough alternatives in PP.
Seems you are now suggesting people try elsewhere and Larry should have addressed the issue.

It all seems a bit knee-jerk, and Larry has to scramble to rectify something that was not brought to his attention earlier.

Maybe Hanno made a mistake. He says no way, but so does the girl.

I don't know. But nor do you, or anyone else.

Meanwhile, Larry suffers.

I'll visit.
I am not sure at all that Larry is unaware. After all, here we have these heroes trying their best at gasligthing. Explicitly: you included.

Nothing stops the business from doing the right thing. As I said, not doing the right thing is a warning in itself. It tells people a lot about customer care and attitudes in general. Based on that, why bother with the place when there are many others that do care? No idea if Larry suffers but he can only blame himself. I dont know the guy but I knew enough people in hospitality. His conduct does not come along as professional and as, even less, friendly.

Trying to doubt Hanno's reputation - you will have to work for more than a decade with solid posting, not the junk above, before you can dream coming close to. Until then, dont try, you end up with wet toes.
Talk about gaslighting. Great example.

I wasn't disparaging Hanno, as you have unjustly, to Larry, whom, on the rare occasion I have patronised, has seemed very cordial. I was saying, none of us know. Except you; gaslighting goose.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Read your own lines and try to make sense of your nonsense.
1. "I wasn't disparaging Hanno"
2. "I was saying, none of us know"
3. (false claim) "Except you; gaslighting goose."

You veiled your attack on Hanno because you do know that your standing and credibility is not good enough to come out in the open.

On the other hand, some mild applause that you understood my post about you and your kind.

Keep up the good work.
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Post by BaltimoreJack »

I never knew how many posters here were so gay for Hanno.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

BaltimoreJack wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:54 am I never knew how many posters here were so gay for Hanno.
I'm getting a whiff of GavinMac from this 'new' poster.
Gary Small
Expatriate

Post by Gary Small »

Brody wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:03 am
BaltimoreJack wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:54 am I never knew how many posters here were so gay for Hanno.
I'm getting a whiff of GavinMac from this 'new' poster.
Fuck me not this again....Je suis Gavin Mac!
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Well. An evening at Larry’s. No dramas. However I will say that the bar girl confirmed how much money I handed over. And then confirmed my change before I left. So I suspect lessons have been learned. And Larry has addressed the issue internally. So we can all move on and rest easy that the original issue is no longer an issue. We can all live in hope. And let’s put it down to one rogue event. My view on Larry’s remains unchanged. Despite OP’s issue. It strikes me as a one-off and let’s hope it stays that way.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Yerg wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:37 pm the bar girl
to be fair, Larry pulls his staff pool from 'former' bar girls, so it'd be more appropriate to refer to them as 'freelancers' :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic