UK Tourist Visa for Khmer Girlfriend

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: UK Tourist Visa for Khmer Girlfriend

Post by SlackWaster »

Hello everyone

Thank you for your input it's much appreciated - if a little bit discouraging.

We'd certainly be travelling with return tickets and I have enough money in my account - as does she - to show we can afford the holiday.

She has a mother, grandmother, and two sisters who live here, the mother and grandmother are dependent on her.

She has a house in the province which she built (where her mother and grandmother live) but doesn't own the land it's built on, that's a relative's land.

A potentially additional negative is that I don't have a great job here, I have a successful business online, which of course I can operate from anywhere, and it's registered in the UK.

What's really frustrating is that as much as I love England, it's really gone down the swanny, and why on Earth would I want to live there and subject my girlfriend to life there.

Anyway - thanks again, I'll wait and see if there's anymore answers posted before looking at them all and working out a plan of action.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

SlackWaster wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:46 pm Hello everyone

We'd certainly be travelling with return tickets and I have enough money in my account - as does she - to show we can afford the holiday.

She has a mother, grandmother, and two sisters who live here, the mother and grandmother are dependent on her.

She has a house in the province which she built (where her mother and grandmother live) but doesn't own the land it's built on, that's a relative's land.

A potentially additional negative is that I don't have a great job here, I have a successful business online, which of course I can operate from anywhere, and it's registered in the UK.

What's really frustrating is that as much as I love England, it's really gone down the swanny, and why on Earth would I want to live there and subject my girlfriend to life there.

Anyway - thanks again, I'll wait and see if there's anymore answers posted before looking at them all and working out a plan of action.
The UK is pretty easy to get into, with what you have described it should be a cakewalk
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:23 pm
SlackWaster wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:46 pm Hello everyone

The UK is pretty easy to get into, with what you have described it should be a cakewalk
I would agree if she owned some land, that was a clincher for the first visa we got (rejected once in the basis of not owning land which they stated in the rejection letter)

Any chance the relative can transfer into her name (may be a long shot I know and would have to be debt free)
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

I had heard that 95% of UK visitor visa applications for Khmer girlfriends get rejected first time. So you apply again (to show commitment!). This was what happened when I applied. I got rejected, with an official letter explaining the reasons for the refusal. So I re-applied, supplying even more documents. Mainly focussed on trying to provide “compelling reasons to return” as other posters have said. Second time around I got approval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

My other half asked me if I could get her a French visitor visa application. I think that would be stretching the Girl Friend Experience too far. Besides, I'm not even French. She must have mixed me up with someone else.
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:39 am I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that the UK visa officers are ageist and sexist. I think they actually enjoy issuing refusals to older UK guys wanting to bring over younger Khmer women.

I have noticed on the relevant facebook groups that young female UK citizens working in Cambodia are getting UK visit visas for their young Cambodian boyfriends with ease. Said bfs have a poorly paid job and not much else to show intention to return.

I know of many old guys who have struggled to get visit visas for their younger Khmer gfs. Many give up. Of those who have succeeded, I don't know of a single case of overstay in the UK.

If the applicant is a genuinely cashed-up Khmer or has a seriously well paid career job, it should be easy. Also if the couple have a baby together and the baby has a UK passport. Absent one of those things, you have a struggle on your hands.

The most painless way is to use a good quality visa agent in Pattaya, much cheaper and better than a UK lawyer. You get a money-back guarantee. The agent fee will be at least $1000, plus the application fees of $200+.

BTW, owning land, having a non-career job, having dependents in Cambodia, having travelled to other countries (which don't have stringent immigration controls) are all of very little help.

Even if you do convince them on the intention to return issue, you also have to prove you have sufficient funds, place to stay in the UK etc. There are specific ways that all this needs to be proved and specific requirements of documents to be submitted, only some of which are listed on the UK Visa pages. For the translation, you can use any translator who is competent and owns a stamp.
Your observation doesn’t match what you see when you get here. At this year’s Khmer new year celebrations in Manchester the Khmer people were almost exclusively middle aged (20’s to 40’s) women with English husbands and Khmer couples. The Khmer community here isn’t big but it is quite supportive.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Bubble T wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:51 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:39 am I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that the UK visa officers are ageist and sexist. I think they actually enjoy issuing refusals to older UK guys wanting to bring over younger Khmer women.

I have noticed on the relevant facebook groups that young female UK citizens working in Cambodia are getting UK visit visas for their young Cambodian boyfriends with ease. Said bfs have a poorly paid job and not much else to show intention to return.

I know of many old guys who have struggled to get visit visas for their younger Khmer gfs. Many give up. Of those who have succeeded, I don't know of a single case of overstay in the UK.

If the applicant is a genuinely cashed-up Khmer or has a seriously well paid career job, it should be easy. Also if the couple have a baby together and the baby has a UK passport. Absent one of those things, you have a struggle on your hands.

The most painless way is to use a good quality visa agent in Pattaya, much cheaper and better than a UK lawyer. You get a money-back guarantee. The agent fee will be at least $1000, plus the application fees of $200+.

BTW, owning land, having a non-career job, having dependents in Cambodia, having travelled to other countries (which don't have stringent immigration controls) are all of very little help.

Even if you do convince them on the intention to return issue, you also have to prove you have sufficient funds, place to stay in the UK etc. There are specific ways that all this needs to be proved and specific requirements of documents to be submitted, only some of which are listed on the UK Visa pages. For the translation, you can use any translator who is competent and owns a stamp.
Your observation doesn’t match what you see when you get here. At this year’s Khmer new year celebrations in Manchester the Khmer people were almost exclusively middle aged (20’s to 40’s) women with English husbands and Khmer couples. The Khmer community here isn’t big but it is quite supportive.
I don’t know which observation you are referring to so I can’t comment on that but thanks for giving me a smile at the notion of being middle aged in your 20s.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Bubble T wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:51 pm

Where abouts did Khmer New year take place?
I know there's now a few Khmer restaurants dotted around the place
sumfin smart
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

A (English) pub near Stockport. It was organized and paid for by the owner of Kampuja Marple restaurant. Manchester seems to have a pretty solid Khmer community.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Gather all the docs, prove your relationship, write a tight itinerary, get letters of invitation from family and friends detailing how much they're looking forward to meeting her and how they will be assisting you (free accommodation etc), go overboard with every piece of evidence about the need to return here.
Apply , see what happens. There's only two outcomes, and being rejected once doesn't preclude a future, stronger application.

Sent from my V2202 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic