Spacious 1 bedroom apartment for lease in De Castle Royal BKK1

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Spacious 1 bedroom apartment for lease in De Castle Royal BKK1

Post by Kammekor »

rogerrabbit wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:10 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:28 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:40 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:26 am
Alex wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:48 am

To me, that sounds expensive. But I have to admit that I don't know the actual rate charged by EdC in Phnom Penh nowadays. It could be a rip-off rate, but I think electricity is more expensive in Cambodia.
Depending on the amount used it starts at just over 700r.

My reply was meant ironically.
its a good thing to say if its a concern there , i didnt know the price they charge here for electricity ⚡️
where i moved into now , it wasnt even mentioned
but the price was right , for everything they have , swimming pool , etc etc etc
- ~ the price of this pricey spacious 1 BR apt. for lease has alot to offer and shirley the maintenance
for all the amenities is included ( see jamesl post -
recently there was a fb ad for something from a new acct named betty white )
i dont get charged for any pool maintenance .
i do pay an extra $5 for cable t.v. that we dont use but nice to have for only $5 .
Many condo's, actually many landlords, overcharge the rate for electricity with 30-50% instead of just passing on the real fee they are charged by EdC. Same in this case. The reasoning behind it often is the 'backup power', a generator, which has to be paid for. That in itself is a valid reason if there were no service charges. But, most condo's do charge service charges and IMHO services like backup power should be covered by the service charge, not by a hidden surcharge in the electricity price. I am sure most landlords consider this an extra rental income which is not even seen by the tax-man.
I think it's totally reasonable charge the cost of generator as part of slightly higher electricity fees. It's impossible to know how much it is needed each month. And those things are not cheap to buy or run (I'm talking about condos and big apartment buildings).

In my experience there is no such thing as a service charge in a condo or even in a serviced apartment if you are staying long term. At least I haven't seen yet. There is management fees for owners in condo of course but usually tenant doesn't pay it. It's the landlord.
Let's assume you're right, and it's fair.
How many percent of the time is the power down these days? I would say in most places it's less than 1%. Even if a surcharge were justified a 250r surcharge over a 750r price is steep for that amount of downtime, to put it mildly. If I would have to make a stronger statement I would call a 30% surcharge for one 1% downtime a rip off. Not even talking about accountability. Have the surcharges so far been spent towards the backup power? Was it enough? Too little? Too much? Is there a financial buffer now allowing for lower charges? A shortage requiring higher charges? Any numbers published by the owners? Guess not....
It's just one of those silly things in Cambodia people take for granted because 'that's how it works here' but no one would accept back home.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:00 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:26 am

Depending on the amount used it starts at just over 700r.

My reply was meant ironically.
its a good thing to say if its a concern there , i didnt know the price they charge here for electricity ⚡️
but the price was right , for everything they have , swimming pool , etc etc etc
- ~ the price of this pricey spacious 1 BR apt. for lease has alot to offer and shirley the maintenance
i do pay an extra $5 for cable t.v. that we dont use but nice to have for only $5 .
Many condo's, actually many landlords, overcharge the rate for electricity with 30-50% instead of just passing on the real fee they are charged by EdC. Same in this case. The reasoning behind it often is the 'backup power', a generator, which has to be paid for. That in itself is a valid reason if there were no service charges. But, most condo's do charge service charges and IMHO services like backup power should be covered by the service charge, not by a hidden surcharge in the electricity price. I am sure most landlords consider this an extra rental income which is not even seen by the tax-man.
I think it's totally reasonable charge the cost of generator as part of slightly higher electricity fees. It's impossible to know how much it is needed each month. And those things are not cheap to buy or run (I'm talking about condos and big apartment buildings).

In my experience there is no such thing as a service charge in a condo or even in a serviced apartment if you are staying long term. At least I haven't seen yet. There is management fees for owners in condo of course but usually tenant doesn't pay it. It's the landlord.
How many percent of the time is the power down these days? I would say in most places it's less than 1%. Even if a surcharge were justified a 250r surcharge over a 750r price is steep for that amount of downtime, to put it mildly. If I would have to make a stronger statement I would call a 30% surcharge for one 1% downtime a rip off. Not even talking about accountability. Have the surcharges so far been spent towards the backup power? Was it enough? Too little? Too much? Is there a financial buffer now allowing for lower charges? A shortage requiring higher charges? Any numbers published by the owners? Guess not....
It's just one of those silly things in Cambodia people take for granted because 'that's how it works here' but no one would accept back home.
As I said there are still areas where power cuts are frequent. But yes, cuts are less frequent in many areas now days and in those, maybe the generator costs should be paid different way. If it's a condo, the condo board can make the change. But the board for sure want to see few years of stability before this sort of change is made. As if power cuts become frequent again, it can be big burden for the condo finances. Also if generator was acquired recently and decision made that at leats partly it will financed this way, then you cannot really change it all the sudden. It's like a ship. You cannot make sudden changes of directions.

If you own condo unit, you should have access all the financials and other records where one can see where the money actually goes. The experience I have from few condos here the bookkeeper and board go over the financials pretty throughly once a year and make decisions on things like utility prices. Same procedure what happen in west too by the way. And all unit owners get to see the papers too if they want. Obviously these are not things tenant see, but that is how it is all over the world.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rogerrabbit wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:25 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:00 pm

As I said there are still areas where power cuts are frequent. But yes, cuts are less frequent in many areas now days and in those, maybe the generator costs should be paid different way. If it's a condo, the condo board can make the change. But for the board want to see few years stability before this sort of change is made. As if power cuts become frequent again, it can be big burden for the condo finances.

If you own condo unit, you should have access all the financials and other records where one can see where the money actually goes. The experience I have from few condos here the bookkeeper and board go over the financials pretty throughly once a year and make decisions on things utility prices etc. Same procedure what happen in west too by the way. And all unit owners get to see the papers too if they want. Obviously these are not things tenant see, but that how it is all over the world.
Yes, service charges are allowed in the West, and the board can be held accountable for that. But overcharging for electricity isn't that common I am sure. No sh!t, even in Cambodia it's illegal, but nobody cares. And everyone renting in Phnom Penh just thinks it's normal. It isn't, not when you have your own EdC meter, which you should have as per the law.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I just booked my appartement for september at Season Residence in 144 street.
Still 650 per month, and the elctricity is stil at 0.25. Cleanup twice a week and good WIFI and tv-channels !! Still my favorite spot in PP
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:59 pm
JamesL wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:21 pm Size of this apartment is75sm internal plus 2 balconies. Will attach some photos soon. Also will be on realestate.com.kh. Jim
75m2 is spacious. I'll be round with a tape to check though.
I met a US American in Saigon who bought a condo there. After purchase he discovered that the floor plans and titles were falsified to show that the apartment dimensions were bigger than they actually were.

He was a lawyer, but still I thought: Good luck with that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic