Scammed at Larry’s Bar

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Scammed at Larry’s Bar

Post by Bongmab69 »

I dont know about charity, but i know veryvery well one of the girls who works there +10 years, and she respects Larry similar as buddah. When she arrived in PP without money, room or food as a young girl, he took her from the street in, and offered here room, food and free english school if she came to work for him. Now 10 years later she still works there and speaks decent english. I always wonderded how he find his staff, because they all speak good english in my eyes. Now i know how it works there !!
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

Nice to have such information here. This may seem like an uncomfortable fact. But there's nothing wrong with warning the community about these errors here. So will keep an eye on the cash even at the more established venues in town from now on.
Freebirdzz
Expatriate

Post by Freebirdzz »

angsta wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:18 am
Travelheaps wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:28 pm I have been using Larry's for years, decent genuine guy and honest bar staff. Try talking to Larry before doing damage to his business. He does so much to help locals (especially street kids and beggars) and deserves better than comments like yours.
He does a great deal of work for charity? Where have I heard this before?

Someone clearly can't handle the truth.

It's a small town. What is Larry saying about this? They have WiFi.
Larry is smart enough never to post on discussion boards like this one.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Freebirdzz wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:39 pm
Travelheaps wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:28 pm I have been using Larry's for years, decent genuine guy and honest bar staff. Try talking to Larry before doing damage to his business. He does so much to help locals (especially street kids and beggars) and deserves better than comments like yours.

Yes. AND not be concerned that others do....
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:54 pm

You do realise that only a tiny fraction of the people who read this forum actually post here?

edited to add: Just checked the numbers from the main page ands its about 1% who are logged in and the rest are just reading.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

IraHayes wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:28 pm
ego bibere nimis wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:54 pm

You do realise that only a tiny fraction of the people who read this forum actually post here?

edited to add: Just checked the numbers from the main page ands its about 1% who are logged in and the rest are just reading.
I doubt that this forum has any impact on Larry's business once way or the other.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Post by angsta »

Do you think he knows how to post on an internet forum?
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Freebirdzz
Expatriate

Post by Freebirdzz »

angsta wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:08 pm

Do you think he knows how to post on an internet forum?
Yes. And comments about alleged scamming at his bar and about his bar being "GSM with sleeves" definitely get back to him.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

My goodness, a simple warning and not so good food review and some characters feel the urge to behave like the Thai internet authorities. Luckily, this is not Thailand.
In other words, it is perfectly fine to criticize food and expose unacceptable practices. This is a good service especially when it comes from a respectable and well-established contributor with lots of experience in the industry. One might expect that the business would reach out to Hanno and see what can be done. Apparently, no such interest. That in itself is a second warning. They are enough alternatives in PP.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Pizzalover wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:15 pm My goodness, a simple warning and not so good food review and some characters feel the urge to behave like the Thai internet authorities. Luckily, this is not Thailand.
In other words, it is perfectly fine to criticize food and expose unacceptable practices. This is a good service especially when it comes from a respectable and well-established contributor with lots of experience in the industry. One might expect that the business would reach out to Hanno and see what can be done. Apparently, no such interest. That in itself is a second warning. They are enough alternatives in PP.
Seems you are now suggesting people try elsewhere and Larry should have addressed the issue.

It all seems a bit knee-jerk, and Larry has to scramble to rectify something that was not brought to his attention earlier.

Maybe Hanno made a mistake. He says no way, but so does the girl.

I don't know. But nor do you, or anyone else.

Meanwhile, Larry suffers.

I'll visit.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic