Family Death - Lawyer/Property/Cremation

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Connock
Tourist
Great Britain

Family Death - Lawyer/Property/Cremation

Post by Connock »

Hello my names Danny, obviously new here!

My sister was living in Cambodia for quite some time and recently passed away. My parents are heading over to help with everything.

I was hoping to find a trustworthy lawyer (perhaps an oxymoron but worth trying) to offer advice and guidance with necessary paperwork.

Also any connections for a simple cremation, my sister was not overly religious but slightly spiritually inclined. My parents probably don’t have it in them to be part of anything too complicated or costly.

My sister owned property through and trust via a real estate agency does anyone have experience with dealing with this any advice would be greatly appreciated, my parents will decide on the best course of action for it.

Also I know my parents will be processing a lot and this will be a huge burden on them but is there anything you would recommend for them to do/see to take a break from dealing with the Bureaucracy. They’ll be located near Siem Reap.

Again thanks for your help in advance and hopefully I didn’t put too much of a downer on your lovely forum.

Hopefully I’ll be back for some travel advice for myself soon.

Thanks and kind regards

Danny
Private Nuts
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Family Death - Lawyer/Property/Cremation

Post by Private Nuts »

Hi Danny

Sorry for your loss. Before my recent escapade of doing my visa through my.hotel, I spent two years getting my visas done through a lady who was also handling all the legal stuff for the hotel I was in "la villa du bonheur".
She was always very trustworthy and made me do fingerprints and special letters that other travel agencies never did.
She told me of her connections with the Siem Reap authorities, so I always felt safe with her as did the foreign hotel owners whose leases she designed.
She has a real estate company and I believe may be a qualified lawyer.
You could email her, if you don't get any better info from others.

Her details:
CS Cambodia Real Estate
Ms, Chinda Sovan, Director.
Ph 017779291 or
FB: Chinda Hor
[email protected]

I think if you sent her that post you wrote above she would atleast give you contacts or guide you in the right direction.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Connock wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:45 am Hello my names Danny, obviously new here!

My sister was living in Cambodia for quite some time and recently passed away. My parents are heading over to help with everything.

I was hoping to find a trustworthy lawyer (perhaps an oxymoron but worth trying) to offer advice and guidance with necessary paperwork.

Also any connections for a simple cremation, my sister was not overly religious but slightly spiritually inclined. My parents probably don’t have it in them to be part of anything too complicated or costly.

My sister owned property through and trust via a real estate agency does anyone have experience with dealing with this any advice would be greatly appreciated, my parents will decide on the best course of action for it.

Also I know my parents will be processing a lot and this will be a huge burden on them but is there anything you would recommend for them to do/see to take a break from dealing with the Bureaucracy. They’ll be located near Siem Reap.

Again thanks for your help in advance and hopefully I didn’t put too much of a downer on your lovely forum.

Hopefully I’ll be back for some travel advice for myself soon.

Thanks and kind regards

Danny
Sorry for your loss. Contact member @IraHayes. He has some first hand experiences he might be willing to share.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

I am sorry for your loss but I have been in your situation, as @Kammekor mentioned above.
Mine was a little different as my mother had been living with me for some time but the bureaucracy involved will be the same. And its a minefield that must, to the best of my knowledge, be done at Phnom Penh.
However, the best way to get through all of this and to reduce your stress at this difficult time I have one bit of advice and one only...

Contact Dave (Dusty) at Evergreen.
His knowledge and expertise are absolutely vital given your situation involves Cambodian assets.

Evergreen Funeral Services
(+855) 15859910
[email protected]

Do not delay, contact him immediately, to start the whole process as it is extremely convoluted but if you need all the i's dotting and the t's crossing for all legal documents related to your mothers estate both here and in her country of origin then this is who you need to help you.
Minimum costs will be around $2k US and they can provide extras such as a simple ceremony. I had my Cambodian relatives do that side of it but Evergreen are able to help/do them as extras.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Sorry to hear if your loss.

I second @IraHayes reccomendation and advice, contact Dusty ASAP!

Do NOT contact a Cambodian Real Estate Agent who "may" be a lawyer!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic