Turkish guy on Facebook exposes being overcharged by 3 cents at Thai Huot

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Turkish guy on Facebook exposes being overcharged by 3 cents at Thai Huot

Post by Bluenose »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:39 am
Bluenose wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:51 am Possibly the price in TH's system has a price in KHR that was calculated at one exchange rate but when ABA was debited that KHR amount they converted it back at a different exchange rate.
There will always be a small discrepancy when converting $US to KHR as the rates fluctuate, however, I do not believe that to be the case here.

The displayed goods are priced in US$ and since no price is stated on the goods the US$ price must have been the one entered into the cash register. This amount, in US$, was then transferred to the ABA pay device.
Now, many cash registers here work in US$ and they then do a currency conversion, which given the current level of technology, probably updates each day with current conversion rates. So the displayed total to pay is in both currencies.

There are, I believe, 2 possible explanations.

1: It was simply a typing error and the 8 was hit instead of the 5. The close proximity of these 2 keys on a numpad configuration supports this.

2: When the barcodes were printed... maybe the exchange rate was so different when it was printed that this can explain the 3c difference.
The law now states that prices must be stated in KHR and that if any other currency is stated it must be listed afterwards. Strictly speaking, the KHR amount takes priority. It should also be noted that any USD invoices now have to show a conversion into KHR at one of the approved rates - and that KHR amount is also the basis for tax returns etc. If you go to Lucky and a lot of other stores now, the cash register works in Riel for individual items and then shows a USD equivalent of the total at the end.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:24 am
The law now states that prices must be stated in KHR and that if any other currency is stated it must be listed afterwards. Strictly speaking, the KHR amount takes priority. It should also be noted that any USD invoices now have to show a conversion into KHR at one of the approved rates - and that KHR amount is also the basis for tax returns etc. If you go to Lucky and a lot of other stores now, the cash register works in Riel for individual items and then shows a USD equivalent of the total at the end.
The majority of restaurants, at least the ones catering mostly to foreigners, do not do this and it really annoys me as I always pay in Riel.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

hanno wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:42 am
Bluenose wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:24 am
The majority of restaurants, at least the ones catering mostly to foreigners, do not do this and it really annoys me as I always pay in Riel.
In general things work out 1/2.5% cheaper when paying in riel

A small amount - but those small amounts add up
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Perhaps people don't tend to take much notice when shopping, but I've had this happen to me more times that I can remember. Something is listed as one price on the shelf but they attempt to sell it to you at a different price at the till. I guess if you're buying many things, it often goes unnoticed, but when you're only buying one or two things and you've made a mental note of the price, it's much easier to spot. Then, depending on the difference of the discrepancy, you're then faced with the choice of making a scene about it, or just paying the few extra riel and getting on with your life.

A common trick is to put one price label in front of a group of things, so you naturally assume that's the price, but when you query it, they'll show you that the product might be the same or similar, and they might even be similar sizes, but of course, the bar codes are different, you bloody idiot. Didn't check the bar codes now did you?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Shops scamming, so common in Asia.

Yep its 3 cents but rip every single customer off by 3 cents & over a year it'd be a considerable amount.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

He should go around there at night and burn the place down.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Merchant fees are the fees the payment processor (usually a bank or payment provider) charges to a business for processing card transactions. This is typically a percentage of the transaction amount or a flat fee; however, prices can vary, and credit cards often incur higher merchant fees than debit cards.
Every EFTPOS transaction costs business money, as each purchase made by your customers via an EFTPOS terminal incurs a merchant fee from the payment processor.

This business has simply charged the merchant fee as well as the purchase price!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Yobbo wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:29 pm Merchant fees are the fees the payment processor (usually a bank or payment provider) charges to a business for processing card transactions.
This wasn't a card transaction, it was an KHQR transaction. I've done many of those and I've never been charged a fee by any merchant.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic