Taking the night bus

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Taking the night bus

Post by Josh_76 »

After years of being told to never take a night bus it's become pretty standard now. I have done it three times now and this is sort of a mini review.

Olongpich - PP to SR

Kings of the one star reviews, absolutely hated on Google Reviews they were perfectly fine when I took them. Bunks are too short if you are Western-sized. Paid $11 4/5

Cambolink21 Express - Poipet to SR

A little early for a night bus (8:30pm) but this is a PP bound bus. They have raised head rests that increase leg room, a big plus for us Westerners. My favorite so far. Paid $8.50 in their app. 4.5/5

Virak Buntham - SR - PP - KP

Called me at 8:30pm to tell me the departure time had changed, they're no longer doing SR to Kampot non-stop as not enough people, so bus goes to PP first. The first company I've seen that uses a 2 - 2 configuration, which makes the middle aisle a ridiculously narrow 40 cms or so. Like a coffin on wheels - not for the claustrophobic. Chassis vibrations are off the charts, a little less in the upper bunks but those have stronger lateral forces. Bottom bunk was high enough to sit up in, so at least there was that. Sleep was almost impossible. I won't be taking them again. Paid $23+ 2/5

What I found weird is that even if the bus is only 1/3 full, staff will tell you you can't sleep diagonally or take bags to your double bunk because of the other phantom person. Yeah, right.
You might get lucky when booking one of the doubles and increase your space - or sleep with a stranger (likely of the same sex only, I'd assume).

No toilets on the buses. Don't drink too much late in the day. Don't expect to get much sleep unless you're one of those comatose sleepers. The bottom bunks are right on the floor. If you are older, perhaps a bit hard to get in & out of.

Still, for a longer trip (even PP to SR is a bit short), I'd consider them again as it can save you time & (hotel stopover) money.