Hillbilly's home movies.

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Hillbilly's home movies.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:20 pm A bit of rapid-forward for ambling between key points of interest, maybe.
A quick précis in the description of how to get there, or how you got there?

Geographically, Asia can be a pain to navigate to from Europe, as its a long haul via a big hub, then short hops when in the region. Kills a lot of time with travel.
A different story when travel is within a time zone or two.

Likewise in the other direction, I guess.

The early part of the video on Gilli was great, and then came the inevitable posh setup for those who don’t mix well outside their class. Instant downbeat. I have friends for whom one would be with me in Diana’s bar, chilling with the music and vibe, while his other half would be ensconced in one of those upmarket chalets.
Thanks. You've helped drill down what I think is my target audience - the chilled/experienced crew not wanting to rub shoulders too much with the "hit and runs".

Good of you to give your opinion - it kind of resonated with me a bit.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Just wanna add -I'm fully pissed up so if any of my above replies come across a bit cocked up - your mum has my number if you wanna complain..

Thanks again, you bunch of old leathery boots.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:29 pm However, the YouTube algorithm, particularly your click-through rate, seems to be the first point of capture, and a very important component of your metrics (for YouTube) ................ developing a following which will probably serve you long term, but you need to get 500 subscribers and 3000 viewing hours before you're out of the gate, or monetized, and that from where I am appears a universe away.
.........I've made ten videos and got 54 subscribers - I need to get people engaged quickly
You need a Call to Action!
You've probably heard it a million times already. Tell the viewers what you want them to do
"Remember to Subscribe so you won't miss my next video.
Hit the Like button, Google likes that!
And, Share with your friends."
or words to that effect
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Username Taken wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:52 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:29 pm However, the YouTube algorithm, particularly your click-through rate, seems to be the first point of capture, and a very important component of your metrics (for YouTube) ................ developing a following which will probably serve you long term, but you need to get 500 subscribers and 3000 viewing hours before you're out of the gate, or monetized, and that from where I am appears a universe away.
.........I've made ten videos and got 54 subscribers - I need to get people engaged quickly
You need a Call to Action!
You've probably heard it a million times already. Tell the viewers what you want them to do
"Remember to Subscribe so you won't miss my next video.
Hit the Like button, Google likes that!
And, Share with your friends."
or words to that effect
You're right, UT, absolutely. But there's a bit of conflict in that *heavy sigh* you feel you're selling out, or you're just selling the same BS as everyone else. There seems to be a compromise that has to be made between your integrity and eating. Ha! He says after incorporating some of the clicky titles he's already used. Maybe just put a nice pair of tits on every thumbnail and start smoking' the $US100 bills

I know what you're saying, just giving a nudge for a "like" and "subscribe" can be subtle reminder and move you a little forward.

Having said the above, 17.5 % of my external views (those not generated by YouTube) comes from CEO!

So stop with the free ride you lot and subscribe!

Let's see how that works. :)

Edited to ad I'm going back to the beach for a drink. Cheers.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Personally, I enjoyed your recent long-form video.

A nice change-up from the shorter ones which are also fantastic.

I liked your extemporaneous narration. From some gap-year kid barely out of his teens, it would be mediocre. But from a man who has been places, seen things and had experiences over the course of decades and decade's worth of traveling, some outstanding nuggets of wisdom and hard scrabble truisms float to the surface and are worth their weight in gold and are highly enjoyable.

Also mate, your voice was made for radio.

There's a silky, burnt-umber smoothness to it. Watching the vid, I half expected to hear you introduce a commercial free hour of The Best of Coltrane, here on your AM dial.

I guess those years of punishing your gullet with nicotine and cheap whiskey weren't all for naught. ;-)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Your call to action doesn't have to sound robotic like everyone else's.

Something extemporaneous like, "Well, that's it for now. Tomorrow I'm heading off to XYZ so be sure to subscribe so you won't miss it. I believe the local lasses like to swim topless there. Should be a hoot!"
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

For god’s sake, don’t succumb to a pseudo-human voice over.
What puts me off a lot of content is that a computer is doing the talking, and getting it wrong.

Keep it real. Fag induced wheezing, the lot.

For the Americans, wheezing induced by fags does not imply taking a beating from a ladyboy.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Private boat from Gili Meno to Trawangan and a walk around the back lanes.

Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

Been checking out a couple of your videos last couple days, as someone who has screwed around with the gopro and thought about throwing my hat in the ring on youtube I'll give you my two cents.

I really like your interactions with the locals, you come across pretty genuine dealing with them, I hate when people interview random people on the street, you have an easy flow and it helps you can speak their language, the locals look so happy.

I watched your long video, normally I probably wouldn't watch something that long just coming across it, but your rants and musings were interesting enough to give the whole video a go, I tend to like the 5-6 minute videos, then 10-12 min videos, but I think there is room for long form videos if you have something interesting to talk about.

You probably already know this but watch swinging the camera around too quickly, you're not as bad as some people I've seen but a couple times things were on a swivel.

Like to see what is in that water, maybe get your sea legs on and do some underwater video :beer1:
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

The sketchiness of Trawangan and a K/Darren meltdown.

In my few days on Trawangan the money exchanger tried to make an extra few bucks on a sizable sum I exchanged by counting out $20 less than the advertised rate which I'd already calculated. Two venues tried bill padding, one telling me not to come back with "We don't like you" after I called them out and demanded a new bill. My umbrella was taken. I was also given the wrong dish of food at one place and told it was now my meal whether I wanted it or not.

Trawangan has become a tourist ghetto of the highest order and, well, sure, go trash yourself on expensive mushrooms, pot, booze and whatever else, but other than that...I't's so far removed from Gili Meno as far as hospitality, kindness, warmth, friendliness, and a chilled place to stay, it's remarkable these two islands are only a few hundred meters apart. It's unlikely I'll be back Gili T any time soon.

A guy on the "Fast boat" from Trawangan to Bali this afternoon had a bit of a meltdown after he was told the "Fast Boat" would leave at 11am, be direct/non-stop, take 1 1/2 hours, and be a luxury boat. We left two hours late at 1pm, stopped twice, first at Gilli Air then again at Lombok before crossing the strait to Bali with the trip taking over three hours - 5 hours including the delayed start.

The boat was overcrowded with people having to stand, AC didn't work and you couldn't open the windows because of constant bow spray- it got pretty warm quickly with everyone, particularly the German, sweating more than was comfortable. The German lost his shit for a few minutes complaining loudly to the crew and everyone else about it all. Fortunately for him he realized a few of the larger boat staff had now descended from above deck to eye him uneasily - he stopped his tantrum.

Now back on Bali, I'm cutting this trip short and heading back to Australia in a few days to organize things to try make videos more long term because I enjoyed making the little vids far more than I thought I would. Hopefully next time out in a few months it will be for a year or so, hopefully longer.

Here ends Hillbilly's home movies for now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic