New tuk tuk scam

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: New tuk tuk scam

Post by Matty9999 »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:40 am Last night I was waiting for my Passapp tuk tuk. He called to confirm the location, kept me waiting for a few minutes while he drove around and then suddenly the app told me I was on the ride.
And sure enough, the trip was charged to my ABA. While I was still waiting.

It happened to a friend of mine as well, and according to other people who responded to my post on a Facebook group, this has been happening a fair bit lately.

I recommend you not use the automatic payment function for tuk tuk apps.
Yes why i put my CC card into as few apps as possible, usually pay by cash. Over in Bangkok, heres something that happened to me just recently. Somebody hacked my grab account and switched the email, however i only use cash there. They were probably hoping i had put a CC card in the Grab so that way they could book rides with it without my noticing for a few days.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Matty9999 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:32 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:40 am Last night I was waiting for my Passapp tuk tuk. He called to confirm the location, kept me waiting for a few minutes while he drove around and then suddenly the app told me I was on the ride.

It happened to a friend of mine as well, and according to other people who responded to my post on a Facebook group, this has been happening a fair bit lately.

Yes why i put my CC card into as few apps as possible, usually pay by cash. Over in Bangkok, heres something that happened to me just recently. Somebody hacked my grab account and switched the email, however i only use cash there. They were probably hoping i had put a CC card in the Grab so that way they could book rides with it without my noticing for a few days.
I get an SMS from my Thai bank every time Grab makes an transaction when im using it in Bangkok, so in the scenario you describe, I would notice it right away.

I have no idea how your Grab account got hacked though, that's obviously a concern in itself.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Alex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:58 pm

I get an SMS from my Thai bank every time Grab makes an transaction when im using it in Bangkok, so in the scenario you describe, I would notice it right away.

I have no idea how your Grab account got hacked though, that's obviously a concern in itself.
I’m sure that I’ve seen 5* ratings already applied to rides, before I’ve even stepped out of the TukTuk. I’m fairly certain the apps are not nearly as secure as people would want to think.
JReb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by JReb »

I sat on sok san road and cancelled the trip..he parked on the road looking at me..then, drove off.
Perhaps, he cancelled?...I rebooked and took another tuk tuk..not using the name of the store... instead pointing to it on the map.
These bizarre comments about who I am... comparing my writing style to some other person...I see no similarities in these comments...
Is this all you have to to?
I thought the subject was tuk tuk passap grab experiences?
Joisey? You mean New Jersey?
I drove through New Jersey on my way to visit friends in New York in the 80s.
I would not have a clue on how to speak with any east coast accents...I can recognize them .
I pay cash..
I did receive an email from passap saying I had paid etc...I did not pay..I got out of the tuk tuk...
So, I stand corrected if my attempt to cancel was not allowed...the driver must of done something on his end....I just suggest that if I got out of the tuk tuk 10 seconds into the trip and did not pay....and a few minutes later booked another tuk tuk...that I did in fact cancel my order....
I think having a little cash and plastic is a good idea.
Just an opinion...I asked my Khmer bar owner friend yesterday what he does when the power goes out...
He gave me an interesting look...ahhh sooo moment..
I am new to this site...I have no problem not commenting. ...I do not have expat friends or go to expat places...my mistake for commenting..
I was only try to give the lady some friendly advice to carry a few bucks in Riel...
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:15 pm
Alex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:58 pm

I’m sure that I’ve seen 5* ratings already applied to rides, before I’ve even stepped out of the TukTuk. I’m fairly certain the apps are not nearly as secure as people would want to think.
I'm not certain, but I think drivers also rate passengers

With Passapp, I almost never open my app once I'm sat in the tuk already until next time I use it, which could be days in many cases - and before I can order a new ride I am obliged to leave a star rating for my last ride

Used Nham24 tuk today, system is clunkier than Grab or Passapp, driver an aggressive off duty copper lol, decided to not rate him or use Nham24 tuk tuk booking again. . .
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:01 pm
Used Nham24 tuk today, system is clunkier than Grab or Passapp, driver an aggressive off duty copper lol, decided to not rate him or use Nham24 tuk tuk booking again. . .
As others have said earlier, a lot of the drivers have at least 2 of the apps installed. Getting a bad driver is just down to luck of the draw rather than a specific app. However, the support given from the app is very different.

Never had an issue with nham tuktuk before, but gave only used a handful of times
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

However, the support given from the app is very different.
This.
Hence why, I use only Grab.
Don't forget the water buffalo
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

cautious colin wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:16 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:01 pm
As others have said earlier, a lot of the drivers have at least 2 of the apps installed. Getting a bad driver is just down to luck of the draw rather than a specific app. However, the support given from the app is very different.

Never had an issue with nham tuktuk before, but gave only used a handful of times
About the only reasonable thing that PassApp have is their unique reg on the front of the TukTuk. A very small number have their registration plate repeated on the front. Just about every TukTuk has a PassApp number.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I am so happy where i live i never have to use a taxi or tuk tuk :-
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:15 pm I am so happy where i live i never have to use a taxi or tuk tuk :-
Texas?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic