Wine (in moderation) is good for the heart

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Wine (in moderation) is good for the heart

Post by hdgh29 »

While there may be chemical compounds in some varieties of wine that are known to be beneficial, fact is that alcohol is a toxic poison and is definitely not good for the heart, even in small doses. Alcohol free wine would be good for health in general, but who would drink it (not me for sure, I like my poison full strength)
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

hdgh29 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:07 pm While there may be chemical compounds in some varieties of wine that are known to be beneficial, fact is that alcohol is a toxic poison and is definitely not good for the heart, even in small doses. Alcohol free wine would be good for health in general, but who would drink it (not me for sure, I like my poison full strength)
Obviously, you are not aware of the "French Paradox".

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1351198/
DavidMurphy
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by DavidMurphy »

https://foodwatch.com.au/blog/healthy-e ... -wine.html

"It's not just the red wine the French love to quaff"

There are many other ingredients that could explain their low rates of heart troubles. For instance, the French:

are the fifth highest consumers of fish and seafood in the world, which adds a huge boost of omega-3s to their intake. These special fats steady the heart's beating, minimise the risk of arrhythmia and keep our tiny blood vessels supple and 'elastic'. Think of those classic French seafood recipes such as coquilles St Jacques, oysters, bouillabaisse, sole meuniere, garlic prawns in butter.

love garlic and add it in generous quantities to just about everything. Forget the Med Diet. The French are masters at garlic consumption, which has been under study for years for its cholesterol-lowering effect.

shun Western-style fast foods such as burgers and fries with their 'bad' trans fat and over-processing.

rarely snack but prefer to dine properly on three main meals without anything in between. Vegetables and salad are always part of their meals.

eat small portions of most things, even though their cuisine is rich and high in fat.

walk everywhere.

P.S. I believe olive oil may also be a key factor
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

It looks like rain, father.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Any particular type of red wine, Shiraz, maybe?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic