hotel suggestions in Siem Reap

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: hotel suggestions in Siem Reap

Post by IraHayes »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:19 am
BklynBoy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:01 am
JReb wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:55 am I would suggest booking.com...
You can see recent comments..
50+% of places that were superb are closed.
Great prices...any part of town you want...
Enjoy my city...it needs some customers.
I feel uncomfortable reserving online w/ payment. Just because i have had bad experiences etc. Never get money back but maybe things changed? on other hand i have seen rates cheaper via booking.com then going to the actual website.
another factor would be the quality of hotel. Assume if better quality- it's easier to manage

thanks ..
I have heard of hotels actually encouraging walk-ins to make the booking online (while standing at the counter) to take advantage of better prices.
And since the business probably gets most of its bookings via the online agency the guest can leave a review and rating thus encouraging more bookings.
edit to add: and what a great way to start your business-customer relationship than by helping them save some money.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

I feel uncomfortable reserving online w/ payment. Just because i have had bad experiences etc. Never get money back but maybe things changed? on other hand i have seen rates cheaper via booking.com then going to the actual website.
another factor would be the quality of hotel. Assume if better quality- it's easier to manage

thanks ..
Book directly with the hotel no middle men.
Boredom is like a shroud
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Many of the hotels you can book now, pay when you stay, free cancellation...just use the filters to only show the hotels which offer these terms. I have literally just booked a lovely hotel in SR for a family escape in August, free cancellation right up until 2359hrs the night before check-in. All the hotels I checked were much cheaper on Booking.com than on their websites.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:06 pm
Many of the hotels you can book now, pay when you stay, free cancellation...just use the filters to only show the hotels which offer these terms. I have literally just booked a lovely hotel in SR for a family escape in August, free cancellation right up until 2359hrs the night before check-in. All the hotels I checked were much cheaper on Booking.com than on their websites.
Thanks so much. That was a concern of mine-- booking, not liking the accommodations and being assed out.

thanks everyone for the suggestions as well. Much appreciated.
I do remember some of the filters but didn't realize they also have "free cancellation" and can reserve then pay.

good deal!
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:26 pm

thanks ..
I have heard of hotels actually encouraging walk-ins to make the booking online (while standing at the counter) to take advantage of better prices.
And since the business probably gets most of its bookings via the online agency the guest can leave a review and rating thus encouraging more bookings.
edit to add: and what a great way to start your business-customer relationship than by helping them save some money.
Hotels should be able to offer serious discounts when booking directly with them, but they're not allowed, or willing.

Checked in into my Bangkok hotel this afternoon and had to pay the fee as I was charged for my booking.com booking. Out of the 2.250 THB I had to pay 405 THB was 'commision'. I must say I was shocked, out of my booking they took an 18% commission.....
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:37 pm
IraHayes wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:26 pm

thanks ..
Hotels should be able to offer serious discounts when booking directly with them, but they're not allowed, or willing.

Checked in into my Bangkok hotel this afternoon and had to pay the fee as I was charged for my booking.com booking. Out of the 2.250 THB I had to pay 405 THB was 'commision'. I must say I was shocked, out of my booking they took an 18% commission.....
OTA's are clearly the basket everyone is putting their eggs in.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:37 pm Then booking directly with them, but they're not allowed, or willing.

90% of the hotels (Europe) I recently booked would agree on a 10% discount or "extra" freebies (room upgrade, free breakfast (if not already included), free parking, free laundry, late checkout and many more) if booking direct with them.

I noticed that "Asian" Hotels are much more reluctant to give incentives for direct booking. I assume that most of the receptionist there give a fuck if you book or not.
work is for people who cant find truffles
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

truffledog wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:58 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:37 pm Then booking directly with them, but they're not allowed, or willing.

90% of the hotels (Europe) I recently booked would agree on a 10% discount or "extra" freebies (room upgrade, free breakfast (if not already included), free parking, free laundry, late checkout and many more) if booking direct with them.

I noticed that "Asian" Hotels are much more reluctant to give incentives for direct booking. I assume that most of the receptionist there give a fuck if you book or not.
Commissions range from 12-20% ( the higher the commissions, the higher you appear in the search):
Stick with one booking engine, ( I stay with booking.com ) you get a discount rate ( i am at Genius level 2 10-15% discount) after x amount of bookings and you get extra addons ( usually breakfast for free, early check-in) and often a room upgrade

As i said; hotels in their contract with the booking engine, are NOT allowed to offer a lower online rate.

I ran the affiliate program for Planet holiday ( who became agoda) way back in 99, Price line and hotels.com
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:12 pm
truffledog wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:58 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:37 pm
As i said; hotels in their contract with the booking engine, are NOT allowed to offer a lower online rate.
Those parity clauses have been declared illegal in many countries.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

truffledog wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:58 pm I assume that most of the receptionist there give a fuck if you book or not.
I have heard that some hotel receptionists provide such a service.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic