Overstay advice

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Overstay advice

Post by ego bibere nimis »

RONEV wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:31 am
ressl wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:53 am That was my first thought, because there was a proof able reason, why you were not able to leave the country
I'd suggest that bedridden for 3 weeks isn't a great excuse for 50 days of overstay.
Bingo. Not an excuse for the overstay at all.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

How long does your overstay need to be before you need an exit visa?

I'm planning to leave after overstaying for 3 days. I assume I can just pay at the airport?
Scarier than malaria.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:19 am
RONEV wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:31 am
ressl wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:53 am That was my first thought, because there was a proof able reason, why you were not able to leave the country
I'd suggest that bedridden for 3 weeks isn't a great excuse for 50 days of overstay.
Bingo. Not an excuse for the overstay at all.
In a country like Cambodia where you can let an agent handle your extension instead of having to rock up at an immigration office ill or infirm, I'd agree.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

ali baba wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:29 am How long does your overstay need to be before you need an exit visa?

I'm planning to leave after overstaying for 3 days. I assume I can just pay at the airport?
Just curious as to why you would overstay on purpose? I guess some folks do the math and see it working out less expensive than paying for a visa extension.

I would just be paranoid about getting caught during the overstay period by the competent authorities for something completely unrelated / random, and then that becoming an issue. Maybe I am just too cautious!
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

ali baba wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:29 am How long does your overstay need to be before you need an exit visa?

Overstays of less than 30 days you can pay the $10 p/d fine at passport control.

For overstays of 30+ days you need to pay the fine at the DoI Visa Office and purchase an Exit Visa
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:22 pm

Just curious as to why you would overstay on purpose? I guess some folks do the math and see it working out less expensive than paying for a visa extension.

I would just be paranoid about getting caught during the overstay period by the competent authorities for something completely unrelated / random, and then that becoming an issue. Maybe I am just too cautious!
I overstayed for 4 days last week because I decided to go abroad and there wasn't enough time to get an extension. No big deal, just paid $40 at immigration.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:16 pm
ego bibere nimis wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:22 pm

I overstayed for 4 days last week because I decided to go abroad and there wasn't enough time to get an extension. No big deal, just paid $40 at immigration.
Do they mark your passport as an 'overstayer'?
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I overstayed by mistake once because I just forgot. I paid the fine when I got my EoS, which was $5/ day back then.

This time I'm overstaying because it works out cheaper and easier than getting an extension because my passport only has 8 months left. Otherwise I'd get +1 year like usual.
Scarier than malaria.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:55 pm Do they mark your passport as an 'overstayer'?
No
cambomech
Tourist
Australia

Post by cambomech »

Just go to the immigration building opposite the airport in Phnom Penh. If you are able to pay the overstay fine in full you won't have any problems when returning with a new visa.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic