Thailand: crooked to the core

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Thailand: crooked to the core

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:44 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:49 am Countries are made up of people. Human nature is naturally corrupt. However social rules and values of each society can keep that tendency more (or a lot less) in check. People aren’t altruistic honey bees, that’s why pure communism has always failed.

Just my thoughts.

I would never dream of openly bribing a police officer in the US. Yet in Cambodia, the police expect to bribed to do their job.
I wouldn't characterise paying them $10 for a police report as a bribe. The state pays them peanuts knowing they will make it up with little earners on the side. If you don't need their services, you pay nothing, If you do, you pay a few dollars. Think of it as well-aimed taxation - you just pay for public services as and when you need them. The alternative is to give the state 50% of your income in a plethora of different taxes and the government then squanders it. And you still get shit public services.
What I like to call honest corruption and dishonest corruption. The honest one being the obvious in your face variety where you smooth the way with tea money. The dishonest one being those enshrined in law and bureaucracy, and which the honest average person is constantly at the mercy of. The worst being when you have both.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

as a gambler i don't want legalised gambling in Thailand, but a Singapore approach would make a shit tone of money for the government.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Big Daikon wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:46 pm I'd like to hear more about the soapies.
Gotta say "Soapy massage tycoon" certainly beats our local "illegal logging tycoon", "land grabbing tycoon", or "sand stealing tycoon", etc. Cambodian Oknhas need to put more thought into what type of tycoon they want to be known as!
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

If there are an Brits here who still bother to follow British politics, or anyone who finds British politics at all interesting, you'll find that even in "the mother of all parliaments" (as we proudly call it, although many, including myself don't agree) there is corruption, lies, law-breaking, self interest, cover-ups and a general contempt for those that the politicians are supposed to serve.

All countries suffer the same issues. It's just the degree and the ability to keep it all "hush hush" that changes.

Boris Johnson, the Prime Minister who was in charge during the covid crisis has been found guilty, by his own police force, of breaking his own laws that he himself imposed during Covid lockdowns, as well as as a plethora of other crimes and immoral activities that went on during that time. And that's just covid-related things. He's also suspected of many other abuses of power during his premiership. As a result, he has now been forced to stand down even as an MP (Member of Parliament) which means he can no longer represent the people of the local area of London (Uxbridge) who elected him in the first place.

In one way, it's a terrible way to end a political career, especially a career from a giant in British politics as Boris Johnson, but in another way, we're lucky to have systems in place that weed out corrupt, lying, disingenuous, self-serving people like him.

My point is that corruption goes hand in hand with politics, regardless of the country or the system.

Although I do accept that the issue is a bigger issue in some countries more than others.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by schlarry »

I think the blatant corruption is more honest than the western one, which hides behind sanctimony.

And probably cheaper for the general population.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

If there was no corruption in Italy we would be one of the richest countries in the world.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

truffledog wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:24 am If there was no corruption in Italy we would be one of the richest countries in the world.
Err... you are.

WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

xandreu wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:01 am If there are an Brits here who still bother to follow British politics, or anyone who finds British politics at all interesting, you'll find that even in "the mother of all parliaments" (as we proudly call it, although many, including myself don't agree) there is corruption, lies, law-breaking, self interest, cover-ups and a general contempt for those that the politicians are supposed to serve.

All countries suffer the same issues. It's just the degree and the ability to keep it all "hush hush" that changes.

Boris Johnson, the Prime Minister who was in charge during the covid crisis has been found guilty, by his own police force, of breaking his own laws that he himself imposed during Covid lockdowns, as well as as a plethora of other crimes and immoral activities that went on during that time. And that's just covid-related things. He's also suspected of many other abuses of power during his premiership. As a result, he has now been forced to stand down even as an MP (Member of Parliament) which means he can no longer represent the people of the local area of London (Uxbridge) who elected him in the first place.

In one way, it's a terrible way to end a political career, especially a career from a giant in British politics as Boris Johnson, but in another way, we're lucky to have systems in place that weed out corrupt, lying, disingenuous, self-serving people like him.

My point is that corruption goes hand in hand with politics, regardless of the country or the system.

Although I do accept that the issue is a bigger issue in some countries more than others.
So what if the Prime Minister was having a few drinks when he shouldnt have been. I dont like Boris but that partygate was really a pile of political crap.
Be your own toy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic