Police Arrest Diluted Diesel Seller

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Police Arrest Diluted Diesel Seller

Post by Freightdog »

Albror wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:56 am Nothing to do with sulfur.
Not directly. But those classes of diesel fuel that are eligible and dyed for tax exemption purposes may also have a much wider spread of sulphur content. In a curiously anorak type discussion on the topic, and some online research, one of the overlooked, often little understood consequences of using red-diesel is that it may harm the engine. Or, more specifically, the emissions control.

So. You buy some dodgy red diesel off a shady friend, to save money, once, and you’ve potentially got staining in the fuel system, and now you might have to try and prove it wasn’t you.
Then, you save more money by doing it regularly.
Then, one day, your car fails the emissions test, or other issue.

Reading into it, and noting that the internet is also littered with misleading alternate info- but fuel quality is quite important in achieving the increasingly tighter emissions limits. At least 3 of my cars from the 1990’s can adjust ignition advance limits (petrol) for lower quality fuel. Peak power and torque being specifically achieved with 98ron.
I’ve only ever owned one diesel car- my current ‘09 Merc. It is equally noticeable how it performs when using the different grades of Diesel in the UK. Similar results to switching to 92ron instead of 97ron in the petrol cars- those that can handle it.
Last edited by Freightdog on Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Red diesel is not everywhere known in europe, in holland it didnt exist before, no idea still is, a lot of dutch people came to belgium for that. I had a 5000 ltr tank and filled it with red diesel and used it in my truck for years, knever had any problem of performance or more consumption. But i do remember, there were 2 kinds of red: for heating and for agriculture, probably that was the difference in sulfer. Some more crazy guys then i used to be (i am know very good boy) used "white petrol" as we called it, it was normally used for lights and small petroleum-heatings at home. It was not red and in the 80s often used to mix with diesel to prevent from freezing. Your car or truck would also run on it but a wake-up-customs guy would smell the difference if driving behind you. Strangely i smelled it several times in Iran and Pakistan last year, in Paksitani-Baluchistan there is +90% of petrol smuggled from Iran because worth about 10%, and of course the quality: nobody cares . . . Environment: nobody knows the word overthere !!
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Albror wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:56 am
IraHayes wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:02 pm All European "Diesel" is not the same.
The difference between low sulfur diesel and high sulfur diesel lies in their sulfur content and the impact they have on the environment and engine performance. Low sulfur diesel, such as Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD), has a sulfur content of 10 ppm (0.001%). This lower sulfur content reduces the emission of sulfur dioxide, which is a catalytic poison and contributes to the degradation of an engine's emission control systems. Sulfur dioxide is also one of the atmospheric pollutants responsible for acid rain.

High sulfur diesel, on the other hand, has a higher sulfur content, which can lead to increased emissions of sulfur compounds and negatively impact the environment and engine performance. In the past, diesel fuels contained higher sulfur levels, but advancements in refining processes and changes in fuel standards have led to a significant reduction in sulfur content in modern diesel fuels.

European red diesel has varying sulfur content depending on its class, with Class A2 having a lower sulfur content (10 ppm) and Class D having a higher sulfur content (1,000 ppm). The main difference between low sulfur diesel and high sulfur diesel is their sulfur content and the impact they have on the environment and engine performance.

Sources:
https://www.crownoiluk.com/news/sulphur ... explained/
https://www.transportpolicy.net/standar ... -gasoline/
https://www.crownoil.co.uk/guides/sulph ... explained/
What this have to do with it being red?

Red color is used all over the world to show that its tax free gas/diesel used for specific purposes such as agriculture so that authorities can easily spot it if its used for wrong purposes such as a private car when opening the lid and checking.

You ever seen gas sellers on the street with red liquid here in Cambodia? That is tax relieved gas that is illegally being sold for private consumers when the farmers sell some of to make extra money on the side. Nothing to do with sulfur.
The post of mine that you quoted explains in detail exactly the reason it is coloured red. Yet you quoted me without reading it or even the 3 links I added in case people needed more detailed information.
And, yes, the high sulfur content diesel is cheaper and taxed less because
A: it is cheaper to make as removing the sulfur is expensive
and
B: Governments tax it less to help reduce costs for farmers and construction vehicles.

And the low sulfur diesel works fine in any diesel engine that doesn't have an emissions control setup so the anecdotal comments about "oh I used to use the stuff all the time back in the day and I had no problems" are because older engines "back in the day" didn't have emissions control setups.
Oh and just because no one was aware of the sulfur content difference between diesels doesn't mean they weren't there.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:26 pm
IraHayes wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:02 pm All European "Diesel" is not the same.
The difference between low sulfur diesel and high sulfur diesel lies in their sulfur content and the impact they have on the environment and engine performance. Low sulfur diesel, such as Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD), has a sulfur content of 10 ppm (0.001%). This lower sulfur content reduces the emission of sulfur dioxide, which is a catalytic poison and contributes to the degradation of an engine's emission control systems. Sulfur dioxide is also one of the atmospheric pollutants responsible for acid rain.

High sulfur diesel, on the other hand, has a higher sulfur content, which can lead to increased emissions of sulfur compounds and negatively impact the environment and engine performance. In the past, diesel fuels contained higher sulfur levels, but advancements in refining processes and changes in fuel standards have led to a significant reduction in sulfur content in modern diesel fuels.

European red diesel has varying sulfur content depending on its class, with Class A2 having a lower sulfur content (10 ppm) and Class D having a higher sulfur content (1,000 ppm). The main difference between low sulfur diesel and high sulfur diesel is their sulfur content and the impact they have on the environment and engine performance.

Sources:

Red color is used all over the world to show that its tax free gas/diesel used for specific purposes such as agriculture so that authorities can easily spot it if its used for wrong purposes such as a private car when opening the lid and checking.

You ever seen gas sellers on the street with red liquid here in Cambodia? That is tax relieved gas that is illegally being sold for private consumers when the farmers sell some of to make extra money on the side. Nothing to do with sulfur.
The post of mine that you quoted explains in detail exactly the reason it is coloured red. Yet you quoted me without reading it or even the 3 links I added in case people needed more detailed information.
and
B: Governments tax it less to help reduce costs for farmers and construction vehicles.

And the low sulfur diesel works fine in any diesel engine that doesn't have an emissions control setup so the anecdotal comments about "oh I used to use the stuff all the time back in the day and I had no problems" are because older engines "back in the day" didn't have emissions control setups.
Oh and just because no one was aware of the sulfur content difference between diesels doesn't mean they weren't there.
Yes and no, In Ireland I know all modern VW's, Audi, Opel, Skoda etc all run fine on the green stuff(they use green, not red dye there) and it's all low sulphur and DOES NOT damage modern cars. Trust me, I know

However other nations may vary
All green diesel supplied in Ireland for use in all non-road mobile machinery is primarily used in the agricultural and commercial sectors must be sulphur free gas oil (SFGO)
- https://www.glenfuels.ie/services/sfgo/17/
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:47 pm
IraHayes wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:26 pm

Sources:

and

Yes and no, In Ireland I know all modern VW's, Audi, Opel, Skoda etc all run fine on the green stuff(they use green, not red dye there) and it's all low sulphur and DOES NOT damage modern cars. Trust me, I know

However other nations may vary
All green diesel supplied in Ireland for use in all non-road mobile machinery is primarily used in the agricultural and commercial sectors must be sulphur free gas oil (SFGO)
- https://www.glenfuels.ie/services/sfgo/17/
high or low sulfur content doesn't damage engines, it's the emissions control units (catalytic converters) they bugger up. They are literally poison to the catalytic compounds that do the work inside the catalytic converters.
And I am guessing they moved to SFGO to be environmentally friendly. Removing all the sulfur must come at a cost and possibly meant they had to reduce the tax on it even further to make it viable. But, that would require some digging into for the specifics.
The sulfur, in the diesel, forms sulfur dioxide ( a gas) which when dissolved in water (rain) becomes sulfuric acid and thus the rain becomes acid rain that was all in the news ages ago. Not so much now as the emissions controls and regulations have actually worked for that problem.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic