Destinations in the US- where would you go?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Re: Destinations in the US- where would you go?

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

RONEV wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:41 am
Freightdog wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:53 pm …and where would you avoid, if a long term stay (6months~1year) were expected?

Atlanta
Boise
Chicago
Colorado Springs
Dallas/Fort Worth*
Denver
Detroit
Fresno
Houston*
Los Angeles
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Palm Springs
Phoenix
Portland (OR)
Salt Lake City
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle/Tacoma
Tucson

This is as a family- Khmer partner who has barely travelled, and nothing further than Kuala Lumpur, along with a 4~5year old boy.
If you have some real input, I’d be interested in your thoughts.

If this were 35 years ago, I’d be leaping after the California options, and South/South-West.
I’ve visited Texas professionally and personally a few times, but the last was 13years ago, and Corpus Christie or San Antonio ain’t on the agenda, anyway. (ps. USS Texas is in for refurb/Maintenance)
Michigan and the North don’t appeal much, except Seattle, maybe.

Is this a work transfer or digital nomad thing? And if you're not American how can you stay more than 90 days (or 6 months with visa, which are rarely given to Westerners)

If you're going to do any traveling around, I highly recommend the stretch from Grand Teton national park to Yellowstone to Glacier National Park.
I stayed in Austin Texas on a 3 month visa, and could renew for another 3 months by doing a border run. Could only stay for 6 months total in that year, start date being when I first arrived. But visa was piss easy to get and didn't even cost 15bucks
sumfin smart
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

RONEV wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:26 pm
However Houston is not a Khmer food paradise. Most Khmer cook food at home. Supplies are either local or shipped in from Cambodia. There is only one restaurant and one food truck. Near the Khmer restaurant is a Vietnamese supermarket that stocks Cambodian products. Also near the restaurant is the only Cambodian store in the area. There are many Khmer in the area. Khmer company won’t be a problem.
Can you share the details of the name of the Cambodian restaurant in houston and name/location of the food truck?

And the name of the Vietnamese supermarket that stocks Cambodian products and the Cambodian store?

Thanks
Cambodian store.
Serey Sophorn
11078 Veterans Memorial Dr #370, Houston, TX 77067

Down the road.. is the Khmer restaurant.
Thai Orchard
11248 Veterans Memorial Dr, Houston, TX 77067

They serve a Thai menu. Unless you start speaking Khmer (or ask for it). Then the Cambodian menu comes out. All pictures and prices. Any Khmer will know the dishes.

And further down the road, the Supermarket that has Cambodian style groceries, like long bean and rice field herbs.
Thang Hung Market
3020 Gears Rd, Houston, TX 77067

Down Walters Road is the Vietnamese chicken farm that sells scrawny chickens that Khmer love. Also sells chicken eggs, duck eggs, goose eggs, baby chicken in the egg.

Khmer food truck is permanently closed.
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

Thanks. I took my wife to Narak's Kitchen once but that's more of a Cambodian butcher shop than a restaurant.

I didn't know there was anything else.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

RONEV wrote:Thanks. I took my wife to Narak's Kitchen once but that's more of a Cambodian butcher shop than a restaurant.

Go with your wife to the Khmer temples during the religious holidays. She will meet the Khmer community in the area. Plus vendors will be there as well.
RONEV
Expatriate

Post by RONEV »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:25 pm
RONEV wrote:Thanks. I took my wife to Narak's Kitchen once but that's more of a Cambodian butcher shop than a restaurant.

Go with your wife to the Khmer temples during the religious holidays. She will meet the Khmer community in the area. Plus vendors will be there as well.
What's the name/location of this temple?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

RONEV wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:44 am

Hey, maybe you guys should meet up. You might become bestest buddies!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

RONEV wrote:

There are three Khmer temples in the Houston area.

The oldest is Wat Angkorchum.
Northwest Harris, 16720 Kuykendahl Rd, Houston, TX 77090.
Always full of old people. Just like in Cambodia.

The new one is Texas Cambodian Buddhist.
15211 Sellers Rd, Houston, TX 77060
Lots of young people, mixed race families, and even non Khmer.

The farmers temple is Buddhist Raksmey Monastery.
7106 Ross Rd, Rosharon, TX 77583.
In the middle of nowhere. Surrounded by the Cambodian farming community.

Had the same issues when missus first arrived. She wanted Khmer food, she wanted Khmer clothes, she needed to pray at the Khmer temple.

Sorry for derailing this thread.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic