Food Additives - what is really in your food ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Food Additives - what is really in your food ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Article on food engineering or how chemicals used in food are being disguised - even in those supposedly "healthy" fruit and veges. Read this and you may never eat again... or just order another takeaway (with double plastic cheese) because its already too late... :shock:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... -your-food

Just a sample:
Anything that comes in a box, tin, bag, carton or bottle has to bear a label listing its contents, and many of us have become experts at reading these labels. But many of the additives and ingredients that once jumped out as fake and unfathomable have quietly disappeared. Does this mean that their contents have improved? In some cases, yes, but there is an alternative explanation. Over the past few years, the food industry has embarked on an operation it dubs “clean label”, with the goal of removing the most glaring industrial ingredients and additives, replacing them with substitutes that sound altogether more benign. Some companies have reformulated their products in a genuine, wholehearted way, replacing ingredients with substitutes that are less problematic. Others, unconvinced that they can pass the cost on to retailers and consumers, have turned to a novel range of cheaper substances that allow them to present a scrubbed and rosy face to the public.

Imagine you are standing in the supermarket. Maybe you usually buy some cured meat for an antipasti. Picking up a salami, even the most guarded shopper might relax when they see rosemary extract on the ingredients list – but rosemary extracts are actually “clean-label” substitutes for the old guard of techie-sounding antioxidants (E300-21), such as butylhydroxyanisole (BHA) and butylhydroxytoluene (BHT). Food manufacturers use them to slow down the rate at which foods go rancid, so extending their shelf life.

Rosemary extracts don’t always have to carry an E number (E392), but the more poetic addition of “extract of rosemary” makes it sound like a lovingly made ingredient – especially if that salami is also labelled as natural or organic. And the extract does have something to do with the herb, usually in its dried form. The herb’s antioxidant chemicals are isolated in an extraction procedure that “deodorises” them, removing any rosemary taste and smell. Extraction is done by using either carbon dioxide or chemical solvents – hexane (derived from the fractional distillation of petroleum), ethanol and acetone. Neutral-tasting rosemary extract is then sold to manufacturers, usually in the form of a brownish powder. Its connection with the freshly cut, green and pungent herb we know and love is fairly remote.

Not sure what to have for dinner? How about a chicken noodle dish? If you noticed that it contained an amino acid such as L-cysteine E910, your enthusiasm might wane, especially if you happen to know that this additive can be derived from animal and human hair. But a range of new-wave yeast extracts is increasingly replacing E910. One supplier markets its wares as “a variety of pre-composed, ready-to-use products that provide the same intensity as our classical process flavours but are labelled as all-natural. Ingredients are available in chicken and beef flavour, with roasted or boiled varieties, as well as white meat and dark roast.” All can be labelled as “yeast extract” – a boon for manufacturers, because yeast extracts have a healthy image as a rich source of B vitamins. Less well known is the fact that yeast extract has a high concentration of the amino acid glutamate, from which monosodium glutamate – better known as MSG, one of the most shunned additives – is derived.
Yummy yum yum; :bad:
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Food Additives - what is really in your food ?

Post by taabarang »

I require one from each major food group: alcohol, nicotine and sugar.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

taabarang wrote:I require one from each major food group: alcohol, nicotine and sugar.
I thought there were 5 major food groups: alcohol, nicotine, sugar, caffeine, and (one more, I forget).

:plus1:
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

You guys still eat food? You're living in the past...like caveman style. I just go straight to the source and drink the corporate chemicals directly. Bypass the middle men. Here is a picture of breakfast.

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote:
taabarang wrote:I require one from each major food group: alcohol, nicotine and sugar.
I thought there were 5 major food groups: alcohol, nicotine, sugar, caffeine, and (one more, I forget).

Imagelus1:
Saturated fats.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Thank you very much for those two important additions Username taken and Stroppy Chops; I shall add them immediately to avoid dietary deficiencies.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

taabarang wrote:Thank you very much for those two important additions Username taken and Stroppy Chops; I shall add them immediately to avoid dietary deficiencies.
Probably good to add Tadalafil and Sildenafil to your diet as well . Both very important chemicals for elderly men.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

And can anyone tell me what is in those cambodian sausages ?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Duncan, when I make the quantum leap from old to elderly, I might follow your advice, but only at the moment when I find myself thinking in stereotypes as you do.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote:And can anyone tell me what is in those cambodian sausages ?
Cambodians.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic