Unlock an iphone,

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Unlock an iphone,

Post by mikeukt »

Is there anywhere in Phnom Penh that has the ability to successfully unlock an iphone? It's not locked as such but a case of forgotten new password.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Unlock an iphone,

Post by Freightdog »

Not quite an answer, but I don’t let anyone access my devices. There’s too much chance of problems with them copying info, etc.

You shouldn’t need it, so long as you had backups before, and can hook up to a computer and access Apple iTunes. The kids frequently lock an iPad or two, which needs sorting.

You can achieve an unlock using a restore only, but I have more success with a full reset/update.
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

I'm not sure if there was an answer there or not. Please clarify.

"You can achieve an unlock using a restore only, but I have more success with a full reset/update."
Understand, I am not a technically proficient person. Does that mean there is something I can do on the iphone that will work? If so, what?
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

I changed and forgot my password to an imac laptop. The only way round it was to do a full reset, had to loose everything saved on there and start from new. Better than never being able to use it again
sumfin smart
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

I changed and forgot my password to an imac laptop. The only way round it was to do a full reset, had to loose everything saved on there and start from new. Better than never being able to use it again
sumfin smart
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

mikeukt wrote:I'm not sure if there was an answer there or not. Please clarify.

"You can achieve an unlock using a restore only, but I have more success with a full reset/update."
Understand, I am not a technically proficient person. Does that mean there is something I can do on the iphone that will work? If so, what?
The iPhone is designed to prevent thieves from doing what you are trying to do. Restore only erases the iPhone and starts it off as a clean slate. Apple has a dedicated security chip to prevent thieves.

So short answer, no.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I understand that Apple products have good security. Devices can easily be bricked if they go missing or are stolen. However there must be some way around this or else no thief would bother stealing them.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:18 pm I understand that Apple products have good security. Devices can easily be bricked if they go missing or are stolen. However there must be some way around this or else no thief would bother stealing them.
The thieves just reset the Iphone and flogg it. If there was a fast/cheap workaround Apple would lose a lot of reputation taking billions of the company value.
work is for people who cant find truffles
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

If the phone has the Find My Phone activated (on by default), then phone can’t just be wiped and end of story. The phone will ask for two factor authentication, ie calls another Apple device the user owns for permission and the code.

If the user uses the Find My Phone App and reports it stolen, then phone is permanently set to brick as it gets an internet or cell internet connection.

A thief that takes the phone to Apple or another dealer gets run against a list of stolen iphones. Apple has an on-line list of every Apple device owned by that person. All user accessible information.

There are esoteric ways around this of course.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:28 am If the phone has the Find My Phone activated (on by default), then phone can’t just be wiped and end of story. The phone will ask for two factor authentication, ie calls another Apple device the user owns for permission and the code.

If the user uses the Find My Phone App and reports it stolen, then phone is permanently set to brick as it gets an internet or cell internet connection.

A thief that takes the phone to Apple or another dealer gets run against a list of stolen iphones. Apple has an on-line list of every Apple device owned by that person. All user accessible information.

There are esoteric ways around this of course.
An interesting, fascinating discussion, but you really should read the OP by Mike. You’re talking about entirely different cases.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic