Thailand: crooked to the core

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Thailand: crooked to the core

Post by phuketrichard »

what can i say that he doesn't?

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Thailand: crooked to the core

Post by Kenr »

List all the countries that don’t have corruption or moral issues.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kenr wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:20 pm List all the countries that don’t have corruption or moral issues.
Tomania
Borduria
to name 2
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:46 pm
Kenr wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:20 pm List all the countries that don’t have corruption or moral issues.
Tomania
Borduria
to name 2
LOL. Never heard of either.

Isn’t Borduria a village in India?
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Valverde isn't corrupt
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Endemic corruption is one of Thailand's relatively few redeeming qualities. If you take that away, what's left? Sticky rice.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Countries are made up of people. Human nature is naturally corrupt. However social rules and values of each society can keep that tendency more (or a lot less) in check. People aren’t altruistic honey bees, that’s why pure communism has always failed.

Just my thoughts.

I would never dream of openly bribing a police officer in the US. Yet in Cambodia, the police expect to bribed to do their job.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:49 am Countries are made up of people. Human nature is naturally corrupt. However social rules and values of each society can keep that tendency more (or a lot less) in check. People aren’t altruistic honey bees, that’s why pure communism has always failed.

Just my thoughts.

I would never dream of openly bribing a police officer in the US. Yet in Cambodia, the police expect to bribed to do their job.
I wouldn't characterise paying them $10 for a police report as a bribe. The state pays them peanuts knowing they will make it up with little earners on the side. If you don't need their services, you pay nothing, If you do, you pay a few dollars. Think of it as well-aimed taxation - you just pay for public services as and when you need them. The alternative is to give the state 50% of your income in a plethora of different taxes and the government then squanders it. And you still get shit public services.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:44 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:49 am Countries are made up of people. Human nature is naturally corrupt. However social rules and values of each society can keep that tendency more (or a lot less) in check. People aren’t altruistic honey bees, that’s why pure communism has always failed.

Just my thoughts.

I wouldn't characterise paying them $10 for a police report as a bribe. The state pays them peanuts knowing they will make it up with little earners on the side. If you don't need their services, you pay nothing, If you do, you pay a few dollars. Think of it as well-aimed taxation - you just pay for public services as and when you need them. The alternative is to give the state 50% of your income in a plethora of different taxes and the government then squanders it. And you still get shit public services.
It lays the groundwork for corruption at the most basic level of police services, the only way is up!
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

I'd like to hear more about the soapies.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic