Average amount guys are paying for a girlfriend?.

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Re: Average amount guys are paying for a girlfriend?.

Post by one_dolla »

payg
pay as you go
suits me
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:49 am So now I’m living a dream every day.
In order to dream you have to still be asleep.

With regard to the ladies who are duplicitous gold-diggers (and not all Cambodian women, or women in general) in many cases their victims have met them in bars where the selling of illusions is the point of the game. Timeshare girlfriends become timeshare wives.

I've devoted much study to it at one remove over many years and my conclusion is that the dupes always know what is going on, but continue to delude themselves. Its a form of cognitive dissonance.

There's also a substantial element of sunk cost fallacy in play, and not merely financial, but emotional and reputational.

And when it all comes crashing down they will continue to deny that they ever knew what was going on, as to admit to having knowingly been a cuckold is harder than to discover that they were being cheated.

Just to be clear, not all of these women have Khmer boyfriends who are getting the money. A significant number have Khmer girlfriends.

And a reminder to those who have friends in this situation: It's not being deceived that makes us unhappy, it's being undeceived. That will never be forgiven.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:49 am
rozzieoz wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:53 pm Each believes they are ‘the one’.
But your wife is completely different. You really ARE the one, right?
She dreamt about me when she was younger, and was the ideal man she wanted to marry. I always wanted a women like her. I remember reading about someone’s spouse like that on CEO and wishing it were mine. So now I’m living a dream every day. Except she’s in Cambodia again.

Her family is the classic example of nature when there is no nurture growing up. Half of them are living proof of all the shenanigans posters bemoan on this topic, while the other half are decent, hardworking folk.

A book is yours to do with as you please. A library is a rental, a loan that has to be given back and shared with many others.

And who would want to share their better half with many others to enjoy?
Your wife is back in Cambodia, presumably without you. Yet you say you're living the dream every day. That doesn't compute, or doesn't sound like you're being honest with yourself.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

by Stravaiger » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:22 am
Just to be clear, not all of these women have Khmer boyfriends who are getting the money. A significant number have Khmer girlfriends.

Got ANYTHING to back that up or.....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:04 pm by Stravaiger » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:22 am

Yeah! Wot ‘e said. Fo’os, or it didnae ‘appen.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Alex wrote:
rozzieoz wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:53 pm Each believes they are ‘the one’.
She dreamt about me when she was younger, and was the ideal man she wanted to marry. I always wanted a women like her. I remember reading about someone’s spouse like that on CEO and wishing it were mine. So now I’m living a dream every day. Except she’s in Cambodia again.

Her family is the classic example of nature when there is no nurture growing up. Half of them are living proof of all the shenanigans posters bemoan on this topic, while the other half are decent, hardworking folk.

A book is yours to do with as you please. A library is a rental, a loan that has to be given back and shared with many others.

Your wife is back in Cambodia, presumably without you. Yet you say you're living the dream every day. That doesn't compute, or doesn't sound like you're being honest with yourself.
Right now it’s pretty miserable not being with her. Bed is cold, house is a mess, I’m a mess. My life’s a mess without her.

But her father is dying, was at death’s door two weeks ago. He wanted to see her. So I bought her one of the last minute tickets on EVA to Phnom Penh to get her there. Before she got there, she sent money to her wife to arrange a monk blessing ceremony. The wire ran off with the money and hasn’t been back.

After his chest was drained, he has a year left (or less). The family haven’t told him and will never tell him. It’s a Cambodian villager tradition. No need to have him worry or panic.

Missus is now fixing the house, making sure he’s comfortable. She rides the kid’s bike every morning.
All the villagers whisper how poor she is after living the west. Other Khmer come back to visit from the west riding cars and wear heavy make up. She rides a child’s bicycle and only wears lotion.

She is the one. (For me).
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:27 pm
Alex wrote:
rozzieoz wrote:

Right now it’s pretty miserable not being with her. Bed is cold, house is a mess, I’m a mess. My life’s a mess without her.

But her father is dying, was at death’s door two weeks ago. He wanted to see her. So I bought her one of the last minute tickets on EVA to Phnom Penh to get her there. Before she got there, she sent money to her wife to arrange a monk blessing ceremony. The wire ran off with the money and hasn’t been back.

After his chest was drained, he has a year left (or less). The family haven’t told him and will never tell him. It’s a Cambodian villager tradition. No need to have him worry or panic.

Missus is now fixing the house, making sure he’s comfortable. She rides the kid’s bike every morning.
All the villagers whisper how poor she is after living the west. Other Khmer come back to visit from the west riding cars and wear heavy make up. She rides a child’s bicycle and only wears lotion.

She is the one. (For me).
:please:

Thought u lived with your parents? you dont know how to clean?
Sad that ur life is a mess without someone else in it
....The family haven’t told him and will never tell him. It’s a Cambodian villager tradition. No need to have him worry or panic.
HUH?? never heard of that tradition and much of my partners older family has passed in the 12 years i have been with her
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:04 pm by Stravaiger » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:22 am

OK here's one from the vaults.

Part of this story was related on TOF by LPB a long time ago. He changed the names and so will I.

I met a Khmer girl called V in a club. She wasn't a smoker or drinker, wasn't suspiciously skinny, no tattoos or visible scars. Decent English including written and some level of general education. I invited her over for lunch the following day. She was refreshingly open minded about sex, had a story about how she had lost her virginity and was good to go.

I saw her infrequently for a couple of months. She never mentioned money and I occasionally gave her something to get her hair done, bought her dinners and cooked for her which she seemed to like e.g. tasting black olives, cheeses for he first time. She appeared to be interested in learning from me, learning about barangs.

There was no romance on either side. I met some of her family: a young niece, a brother (who called me 'brother') and a cousin. She was presentable enough to take to weddings. I had no problems with her. But after a while she faded away and I was involved in other pursuits.

Time passed and thinking about her I sent her an email with an old photo and a line about hoping she was doing ok. The reply I got was

If you want her you can have her back.

I quietly filed her name away under Forget.

A few days later I was awakened before 0800 by someone repeatedly ringing my doorbell. I pulled the sheets over my head and waited until it stopped. When I went out I discovered that the electric buzzer had been broken off the wall. My landlord suggested that It might have been the dog.

A few weeks passed, and one afternoon, again in bed with a book, I heard V calling to me from the stairwell. When I went to investigate I found she was with her mother. The worst scenarios raced through my mind, and I told her I couldn't invite them in because I had a girl with me. But her response was that her husband B (husband ?) had just died and she needed to talk to me. I suggested we meet at a small restaurant later. She asked if she could bring her cousin and I agreed.

I'd met her cousin before, a pretty girl who didn't say much - She is not the same as me said V. Over fish amok V showed me her wedding photos and explained that her husband B had found the email I sent and had gone round to see me in a fit of jealousy. But how did he know where I lived ? Of course, she had told him. I was a minor player in this drama and she later told me that he had been most suspicious about her brother or 'brother'. She found this very amusing, even asking me if I had suspected that he was her lover.

Her story was that at the weekend she had been away somewhere and when she returned to their flat she had found the door locked from the inside and B wasn't answering his phone. V's father was something in the police, so she called him and they broke down the door, found B dead and concluded he had died of an intentional overdose of sleeping tablets and vodka. No time for forensics, they swiftly had him cremated.

V had approached me because she wanted help dealing with the banks where he held his money and any other benefits she may have been entitled to. In the course of this I learned something of B's background and it was a very sad story. He was teaching English and I don't think he was a big substance abuser, although he liked his beer. Emotionally he couldn't handle the relationship he was in and he was only forty when he killed himself. His suicide note was pathetic in every sense, and curiously, he had apparently left it on a usb stick. He died clueless about what was really going on.

V's story was that he had gone back to the UK to bring over the rest of his capital and that was when she met me. She said that she couldn't be sure that he was going to come back.

Since then V has had a very checkered career both in work and in relationships. She came out fully on social media some time ago. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

There are many details I have left out. As I have said, I never had any problems with her.

Another example would be that I had a Vietnamese couple living with me for a while, two 'sisters'. I believe their bonding helped them survive the trafficking and the brothels. That ménage ended due to jealousy, although not on my part ;0)

I give these examples because they feature myself to some degree, but I know of many more involving friends and acquaintances, and from stories I heard down the pub.

Given the backgrounds that many of these girls have it only surprises me that more of them aren't Type 1 Alphabetics.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Stravaiger wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:04 pm
I met a Khmer girl called V in a club. She wasn't a smoker or drinker, wasn't suspiciously skinny, no tattoos or visible scars. Decent English including written and some level of general education. I invited her over for lunch the following day. She was refreshingly open minded about sex, had a story about how she had lost her virginity and was good to go.
That's not the behavior of an average / typical Cambodian girl.

The behavior fits girls operating in certain sectors of the economy though. Bars, beer gardens, KTV's come to mind.

Not saying she wasn't a typical Khmer girl, but in the first sentence there are several signs on the wall which would require some research before going 'full in'.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I am pretty sure at least 85% of the girls in phnom penh could fit in this history.
And very often "lost in translation", brother or sister: can be anyone they know well;
One of my european friends used to run a bar/restaurant a couple of years ago and he told me his female staff, who hook up with barangs (any way of hooking up), they have in the province for 100% a boyfriend or husband. But ofcourse they never tell barangs. I visited several times family from my khmer girlfriends, it gave me more "security" to be sure she was not married. He laughed with my theorie and said: often you will see some cousin in the house who lives ofcourse under the same roof. Probably he is the real husband, but if she brings in the cash every month, he doesnt care she hooks up with a barang for a couple of weeks a year. Cash is King . . . And ofcourse 99% of the barangs wont stay overnight in a khmer house to sleep on a table without mosquitos-net or aircon: Problem solved.
This could happen in Cambodia, but also in Venezuela, Africa, . . .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic