The true cost of flying

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

The true cost of flying

Post by Doc67 »

How's this for a government making far more money than any airline. $44 fare + $99.49 of bullshit. This fare includes a 20k checked case too.

Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Re: The true cost of flying

Post by Dario »

Not sure you can fairly be calling it bullshit. Looking at how far Medellin has come from the quasi warzone like hellhole it was even 25 years ago.
Since 44$ don't represent the true cost of flying, i think that's a great opportunity to generate funds for city development.
Of course i have no insight in any details of how the monies are used, but the idea itself seems sound to me.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Dario wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:42 pm Not sure you can fairly be calling it bullshit. Looking at how far Medellin has come from the quasi warzone like hellhole it was even 25 years ago.
Since 44$ don't represent the true cost of flying, i think that's a great opportunity to generate funds for city development.
Of course i have no insight in any details of how the monies are used, but the idea itself seems sound to me.
Airports don't run themselves for free either...
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

As much as I’m highly critical of the internal waste by airlines, and there is a lot, but try this for size-

A B737-800, configured for economy class 189seats, operating on a charter service- an airline company operating on behalf of a tour operator, might make around €3000 profit from one flight.

A profit easily wiped out by things like Passenger compensation EU26something, which might account for easily 20x the prospective profit.(some of which is valid, but it’s a vicious circle, sometimes)

The cost of travel has reduced markedly, the proportion of taxes against overall costs is quite surprising. Alarming even.
The margins are small, but the expectations are high. Something has to give…
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic