Rice Wine Strikes at Funeral: 1 Dead and 27 Hospitalized

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Rice Wine Strikes at Funeral: 1 Dead and 27 Hospitalized

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Funerals in rural Cambodia can be deadly affairs due to the custom of drinking locally made village rice wine, which may contain added methanol to give it a kick. Unfortunately, people die every year from this traditional drink. If you are invited to a funeral ceremony in the countryside, best stick to beer.

Adulterated rice wine leaves 1 dead, 27 hospitalized in NW Cambodia
Xinhua, June 4, 2023
PHNOM PENH, June 4 (Xinhua) -- One villager died and 27 others were hospitalized in northwest Cambodia's Pursat province after drinking homemade rice wine, which is suspected to contain high levels of methanol, a local health official said on Sunday.

Teuk Sopheap, deputy chief of Pursat Provincial Health Department, said the incident happened on Thursday night during the funeral of a resident in Morth Prey village under Krakor district where the tainted rice wine was served.

"One man was confirmed dead, and 27 others had been admitted to hospital after the incident," he told Xinhua. "The patients have been recovering well and there is no risk to their lives."

Sopheap said the victims had developed symptoms such as eye irritation, chest pain, breathing difficulty, dizziness, headache, and fatigue after drinking the adulterated wine.

The toxic wine's samples had been taken for a lab test, he added.
http://www.china.org.cn/world/Off_the_W ... 310629.htm
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Rice Wine Strikes at Funeral: 1 Dead and 27 Hospitalized

Post by John Bingham »

Funerals in rural Cambodia can be deadly affairs due to the custom of drinking locally made village rice wine, which may contain added methanol to give it a kick.
I don't believe it is because of added methanol. It's because the distillation process produces methanol, and this needs to be separated and removed before consumption.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:53 pm

Funerals in rural Cambodia can be deadly affairs due to the custom of drinking locally made village rice wine, which may contain added methanol to give it a kick.
I don't believe it is because of added methanol. It's because the distillation process produces methanol, and this needs to be separated and removed before consumption.
Methanol is produced during the fermentation process and can be concentrated during the distillation process.
Distillation is simply heating a liquid to a temperature where one of the components becomes a gas that can be collected and condensed back to a separate liquid. It doesn't directly create methanol. A quick google finds the boiling points of methanol 64.7°C or 148.5°F and ethanol 78.4°C or 173.1°F.
So, obviously the correct process will involve heating to 65C and holding there till the methanol has been boiled away and then increase the temperature to 79C to get the ethanol.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I guess the ultimate Cambodian proof one produces "quality booze" is when the customer is still alive to buy some more.
Maybe the rice wine XO label comes when it actually tastes something recognizable ?
^^
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:54 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:53 pm

Methanol is produced during the fermentation process and can be concentrated during the distillation process.
Distillation is simply heating a liquid to a temperature where one of the components becomes a gas that can be collected and condensed back to a separate liquid. It doesn't directly create methanol. A quick google finds the boiling points of methanol 64.7°C or 148.5°F and ethanol 78.4°C or 173.1°F.
So, obviously the correct process will involve heating to 65C and holding there till the methanol has been boiled away and then increase the temperature to 79C to get the ethanol.
This being the common culprit of alcohol induced problems such as blindness, some mental issues, as well as the slightly more inconvenient death, simply because the still wasn’t run and controlled to the correct temperature, or the separation wasn’t so well controlled. Home made ‘radiator’ hooch
Home made alcohol predates regulated stuff, obviously, and is in fact still quite common in many places.

Poitín (Pocheen) in Ireland- a couple of uncles were infamous for bringing some home.
Khmer Rice wine being the topical one.
Pálinka in Hungary- a colleague in Quebec used to sneak a few bottles of his father’s homemade nectar in whenever he had a chance.
Prohibition era will have been a particularly busy time.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

All this discussion of distillation of methanol and ethanol takes me right back to my old high school days and 1 particular lesson in organic chemistry where we were tasked with nitrating methyl benzene (toluene).
For a start the nitrating mix was a pretty nasty combination of fuming nitric acid and conc. sulfuric acid. Then getting the nitro group (NO2) into the benzene ring involved carefully heating the mix to a specific temp, that without googling I cant recall)... Now we were under strict instructions to take great care not to go above this temp as increases would see not 1 nitro group going in but 2 or possibly 3.
I had this little red book of chemistry data and tables and I had it because the organic chem teacher had it and he was always referring to it during the lessons.
Anyway, this book had a table that detailed temps required for various chemical groups so that they would go into benzene ring positions. Thus we found that a temp of 60C would see 3 nitro group go in.... and this would result in a yellowish precipitate.
A precipitate that was .... Tri-Nitro-Toluene
And we weren't allowed to refine it under reflux for some reason.

Dr Ward was a great teacher and he would often allow us to continue lab work into the next lesson while he taught a lower grade and looking back I can see why he allowed us to do that. It was more as an incentive to the younger learners that if they went on to study Chemistry 'A" level they would be allowed the same access and responsibilities to work under minimum supervision.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Jeez, your memories of chem’ lessons is much clearer than mine. I recall some of the outcomes- ringing ears, scorched walls, queuing outside the Head master’s office.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic