Easy Laos border crossing?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
rexdart
Tourist

Easy Laos border crossing?

Post by rexdart »

I am heading up to Kratie today and then Laos. I assume there are bus/visa scams and I would like to be made aware of them. Thanks for any advice.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Easy Laos border crossing?

Post by phuketrichard »

Never ran into any scams entering/leaving Thailand or Laos
seems to be only Cambodia

$1 extra for visa on weekends,
Australia 30
Canada 42
China 20
India 40
Sweden 31
USA 35
UK 35
Others 30
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Why so much for Canada ? Aren't we Commie enough for them ?
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

rexdart wrote:I am heading up to Kratie today and then Laos. I assume there are bus/visa scams and I would like to be made aware of them. Thanks for any advice.
Not really an answer to your question, but when I left Laos for Cambodia they checked my, and everybody else's, body temp, fortunately the ear...., and we were issued a 'health notice' issued by the Cambodian Ministry Of Health. I still have it, I thought it was hilarious. Oh yes, of course a fee of $1 had to be paid for that service.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

^Keystone Kops ?

Gotta love their inventiveness.

You should have demanded the Anal Thermometer. :)

Mexico in the old days was similar. Ham Fisted Integrity. Where, "you waaant mi sister?", was an honest question.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Last time we went through - Jan/Feb - it was $1 for "health check". Got told we were very bad people who are responsable for the spread of malaria (lol), when we declined their offer.

More to the point,we were already being hit on for $2 "stamp fee" by the officials on both sides of the border. if you don't pay when you leave Cambodia, then no exit stamp, then when you get to the Laos guys they send you back to Cambodia. Lots of fun and games if you have time to waste. The Laos officials had serious time to waste, so closed their windows and went out the back to drink and karaoke, just to let us know that they were royally pissed off and that they would leave us there until we begged to pay. No sense of humour at all.

Anyway, end of story, paid $1 to each side so there was no jealous feelings, but had to bargain discreetly since some people had paid the $2. And it's not about the $1 difference - it's about the fuckwittery - even if i'm not khmer, I do feel the need to save a bit of face from time to time...

This was crossing in a minivan from cambodia to Laos and doing our own visas.

Coming back from Laos we met a busload from 4000 Islands to Siem Reap who seemed to have all coughed up $30 or $35 for their Cambodian visas, paid directly to the bus guy.

Traveling by minivan again, we got asked $25 for the visa, paid $22...

Oh, and be warned, ladies - 2000riel to use the toilet. But at least they sell beer...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic