ChatGPT - Amazing new AI

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: ChatGPT - Amazing new AI

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Phnom Krom wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:36 am Interesting stuff.
So if AI will truly makw all audio and video seen on devices as indicernably real, then nothing you see or hear can ever be trusted.
The AI cloned voices of fake kidnapped children are already being heard pleading for help as scam ransom demands start to appear.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

rogerrabbit wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:00 pm
Alex wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:51 am Strange how this letter was signed by people who missed out on investing in Open AI.

It's futile anyway. When horses were replaced by cars, no amount of lobbying by the horse lobby could have stopped that. AI will be used wherever it leads to a gain in productivity, like it or loathe it.
Elon Musk was one of the founders of OpenAI, though since then he has sold his shares of the company but he has multiple investments in other AI companies. People who have made investments in OpenAi have also signed that petition.
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/18/musk-ca ... pmind.html

Musk announced he’s going to develop TruthGPT because he fears that existing AI businesses are training their systems to be “politically correct.”

Gods help us
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Phnom Krom wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:36 am So if AI will truly makw all audio and video seen on devices as indicernably real, then nothing you see or hear can ever be truste
I think AI will just make that even more obvious. With all the fake news that has been flying around, you couldn't really trust anything you see or hear even before.

Just a silly example: At the height of the Covid-19 pandemic, I took a domestic flight within Thailand. I took two photos at Suvarnabhumi Airport, one that made it look deserted and one that made it look incredibly crowded. Depending on your agenda and combined with a screaming headline, you could have written two completely contradictory stories about the state of travel. Just by being selective, and that has been going on since forever.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:02 am
Phnom Krom wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:36 am Interesting stuff.
So if AI will truly makw all audio and video seen on devices as indicernably real, then nothing you see or hear can ever be trusted.
The AI cloned voices of fake kidnapped children are already being heard pleading for help as scam ransom demands start to appear.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

As much as think AI is an amazing invention, I think there are more than enough qualified people in the industry raising big concerns over it. If things carry on as they are, we will, at some point in the near future, lose control over it, and when that happens, things could get very ugly. I heard someone (may have been Musk) comparing the dawn of AI to the extinction of the Neanderthals. It looks likely that they were wiped out because a bigger, better, more intelligent species came along and rendered them useless.

I fully support the six moth pause that was recently called for. The problem we have is that there is so much money to be made, we cannot rely on industry to behave ethically or ensure safety protools are in place. The creators of ChatGPT themselves have publicly said that they are uncomfortable with the pace that Microsoft is pushing them, along with openly admitting that they don't have a clear understanding of how the thing they've created actually works. This should be ringing alarm bells everywhere. It's like Marie Curie messing with radioactivity multiplied by a billion. She had no idea what she was dealing with and it eventually killed her.

So who can we rely on to keep us safe? The government? They have absolutely no clue about it. Take the banking industry - It's well known for creating the most complicated financial structures that are impossible for any politician to fathom out, as a way of avoiding tax. Do we really think politicians can get a grip on AI? I heard the US government have even began asking the public for their views on how to deal with it.

The US military have recently come out and said they are training AI systems to be used on the battlefield, as they are so much faster at decision making. What happens when the enemy also get their AI? What happens when incredibly advanced AI end up fighting our wards for us? Isn't that what Arnie warned us about in Terminator?

From nuclear energy which lead to nuclear bombs to diseases escaping from labs, we don't exactly have a great track record of controlling that which we create. AI is going to be such a humungous gear change in the way society operates, with potentially millions becoming jobless overnight, to not being able to trust anything that is presented to us as fact, the least we can do is halt the progress of it for six months and figure out just exactly what we're playing with here.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AI is another reason to share as little as possible online.

Just beware.
dangermousetherapy
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by dangermousetherapy »

I use ChatGPT all the time in my work and it's useful for so many things. The latest version can even translate Khmer, I tried copying and pasting from some Khmer news sites and it produced good English, not like you get the FB and Google translate.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

xandreu wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:32 pm I fully support the six moth pause that was recently called for. The problem we have is that there is so much money to be made, we cannot rely on industry to behave ethically or ensure safety protools are in place.
Respectfully, this is an incredibly bad and short sighted idea. The world is in an AI arms race. It will define the future of software development, manufacturing, food production, public discourse, in fact I’m struggling to think of a part of our lives that won’t be impacted by it. The bad guys aren’t going to stop for 6 months, so neither should anyone else.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Why you should not rely entirely on ChatGPT:

A New York lawyer is facing a court hearing of his own after his firm used AI tool ChatGPT for legal research.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65735769
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic