Mail in Cambodia -- Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DavidFieldman
Expatriate
Canada

Mail in Cambodia -- Phnom Penh

Post by DavidFieldman »

I am Canadian and have just relocated to Phnom Penh from China.

Since I am retired, and on a pension, I receive documents from the Canadian government to authenticate that I am still among the living and receive tax forms to complete.

I cannot receive mail where I live. So my question: Can I open a post office box at the Post Office?

Finally, is the mail service here reliable?

Thank you.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Mail in Cambodia -- Phnom Penh

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yes you can open a PO Box, reliable, enough. What tf is wrong with your country, surely they can do that shit some other way nowadays, online or something.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I lived in Kep and received all my mail C/O the post office>and they even called me when mail came in ( if my telephone number was on the outside)
They had box's an when i enquired if i could rent one was told, not yet, as they didn't have any locks;;; year later still no locks
LOL

Is the mail service reliable? sometimes, but its dam slow>>>:-) letters/packages form US to thailand took an average of 12-14 days, to Kep 5-6 weeks

FYI; The US also sends out a letter every year which must be signed and returned to continue ur SS>
there was a thread earlier this year about one American that was desperate when his SS payment stopped cause he did not return the letter.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

A Canadian friend of mine who lives here in Thailand has all those papers mailed to his accountant in Canada who does his tax.

It's my understanding that he doesn't even need to snail-mail signed documents back and that he can just email his accountant scans instead. Something like that looks like a good arrangement for Cambodia, too.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Not sure if still the case, but when I had to register online with HMRC in UK you filled out all your details online and then they sent a verification code in the snail mail. If you didn't get it within 28 days you had to start all over again.
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

OP's questions

Can I open a post office box at the Post Office? Yes, but you have to go to the Main Post Office near Wat Phnom, take your passport and pay $15-20 depending on box size. They'll give you the key and you'll be good to go.

Finally, is the mail service here reliable? No, it 'isn't, at least for street deliveries.. As for PO Box deliveries, I have yet to see.

I also have the prove you're still alive docs from pension services. Last one didn't come, luckily the letter saying they were stopping the payments and giving me a deadline before they permanently stopped did come, so i could get it sorted. That's why I got the PO Box just a few months ago.

Good luck.
DavidFieldman
Expatriate
Canada

Post by DavidFieldman »

mikeukt wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:07 pm OP's questions

Can I open a post office box at the Post Office? Yes, but you have to go to the Main Post Office near Wat Phnom, take your passport and pay $15-20 depending on box size. They'll give you the key and you'll be good to go.

Finally, is the mail service here reliable? No, it 'isn't, at least for street deliveries.. As for PO Box deliveries, I have yet to see.

I also have the prove you're still alive docs from pension services. Last one didn't come, luckily the letter saying they were stopping the payments and giving me a deadline before they permanently stopped did come, so i could get it sorted. That's why I got the PO Box just a few months ago.

Good luck.
Thank you.
DavidFieldman
Expatriate
Canada

Post by DavidFieldman »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:46 pm Yes you can open a PO Box, reliable, enough. What tf is wrong with your country, surely they can do that shit some other way nowadays, online or something.
Thank you. However, for some documents, real signatures are required.
DavidFieldman
Expatriate
Canada

Post by DavidFieldman »

Good luck.
Many thanks. Went to the post office today and rented a PO box for a year. U$20.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

DavidFieldman wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:58 pm
Many thanks. Went to the post office today and rented a PO box for a year. U$20.
Is that really you in the picture ?
I’m guessing it is , if I ever go to the PigPenh ima going to the post office and look for you .
I want to find out if i’m any good at stalking .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic