covid surges in Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Drizzle
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: covid surges in Thailand

Post by Drizzle »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:44 pm Deny all you want but in Thailand they are past denying things

stats can be manipulated but these numbers are worrying

The Siriraj Piyamaharajkarun Hospital in Bangkok announced on its Facebook page yesterday (Friday) that all its hospital beds in its intensive care unit (ICU) and in-patient department (IPD) are fully occupied by COVID-19 patients.
The hospital also said that there are still several COVID-19 patients in its emergency ward, who are waiting to be transferred to other hospitals, as it apologised to the public for the inconvenience.
The hospital’s announcement coincides with a warning yesterday from Dr. Nitipat Jiarakul, chief of the Division of the Respiratory Diseases and Tuberculosis at the Faculty of Medicine at Siriraj Hospital, that COVID-19 is staging a comeback, with as many as 20,000-40,000 people being infected each day, about 20 times more than the rate of infection in April.

According to Dr. Nitipat, admissions to hospitals have increased to about 400 a day, from about 20 in April and, of these, 5% are suffering lung infections and half of them have died.

The death toll also surged 20 fold, to about 66 a week now instead of just 4 in April.

Half of those deaths were directly linked to a COVID-19 infection and the other half to a resurgence of comorbidities, such as kidney disease, emphysema and heart diseases.
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/siriraj-ho ... -patients/
TBF its probably all lies.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

So it’s settled that the world is overpopulated? That’s just opinion. The worlds population is already in an irreversible decline and we should be alarmed. Many people have spoken about this including Elon Musk who has said that in fact we do not have enough people and population decline is the single largest crisis mankind is facing now.
Stay classy na
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Drizzle wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:23 am There are some ignorance in this forum.
Their sure are! :popcorn:
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

I can testify to this increase of cases (1) I contracted covid on May/2 (2) yesterday my Thai boss told me we had 7 new cases in the company which we have not seen any case for past months.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Drizzle wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:23 am

It's a nice feeling not having some unknown chemicals floating around in my body, while excess deaths are soaring around the world.
You're eating fruit and veggies containing unknown and probably illegal herbicides & pesticides in unknown quantities on a daily basis.
You probably eat meat containing unknown quantities of unknown antibiotics.
You're eating, drinking and breathing unknown quantities of micro plastics.

But it's nice to know you've got no unknown chemicals in your body, right?

If you're really worried about unknown chemicals in your body life will be very difficult, especially in Cambodia.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

The Thais will soon use these inflated horseshit covid stats to justify a post election lockdown powergrab on the uppity peasants imo

Very Thai
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

I don't know much about the Thai situation but it seems to me that when they're struggling to get tourism and the economy healthy again, if they were going to lie about the new covid wave they'd have more incentive to be downplaying the numbers.

Just as an aside, they're not the only ones. China, among others, is also facing another wave. It's not inconceivable Thailand would be seeing its cases increase too.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Random Dude wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:48 am I don't know much about the Thai situation but it seems to me that when they're struggling to get tourism and the economy healthy again, if they were going to lie about the new covid wave they'd have more incentive to be downplaying the numbers.

Just as an aside, they're not the only ones. China, among others, is also facing another wave. It's not inconceivable Thailand would be seeing its cases increase too.
Hardly struggling with almost 10 million in the first 5 months this year>
Phuket in Jan-march was as busy it seems ( minus the chinese) as pre covid
will easily hit 22 million by years end

I dont think their lying.
not fear mongering and i dont worry as i do the same now as 2 year ago, avoid crowds and stay away from tourists ( those nasty buggers are the ones that are bringing it in LOL)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:12 am
Random Dude wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:48 am I don't know much about the Thai situation but it seems to me that when they're struggling to get tourism and the economy healthy again, if they were going to lie about the new covid wave they'd have more incentive to be downplaying the numbers.

Hardly struggling with almost 10 million in the first 5 months this year>
Phuket in Jan-march was as busy it seems ( minus the chinese) as pre covid
will easily hit 22 million by years end

I dont think their lying.
not fear mongering and i dont worry as i do the same now as 2 year ago, avoid crowds and stay away from tourists ( those nasty buggers are the ones that are bringing it in LOL)
Fair enough, I don't know the situation so I believe you when you say they're not struggling with tourism numbers but still, I'm sure there are a lot of people there trying to climb out of a financial hole so a robust economy helps everyone. And I agree, I doubt they're lying, it seems unlikely the government would put their economy at risk by pretending there's a covid wave when there isn't.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I don't think they're exaggerating about the numbers, it just isn't clear to me what (if anything) they want people to do.

At this point, Covid has become endemic and there's broad immunity, so just letting it spread without any special measures and precautions looks like the most sensible approach to me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic